What film did you watch last night?

Man of Honour
Twister

eq8LCgom.jpg

Coming off the heels of Deep Rising, I fancied something else ‘fun’.

There’s a lot to like about Twister and I’d go as far as saying it’s a great film. The poster above is very ominous indeed but the film itself offsets the danger and threat with a likeable cast and light comedy - it’s a winning tone. The soundtrack switches between joyous convoy romp and then to ‘awe’ when the tornados are on screen. At first, the leads seem wooden and awkward but they are actually quite likeable with convincing chemistry. As a minor point, there are some cheesy and hilarious declarations of “S.O.A.B.!” :D

The special effects are ageing a little but generally are a good mix of CGI and impressive practical effects, the sort that would never happen in a modern film.

Yeah, I do like this film a lot. Worth a revisit if you haven’t seen it for some time (with the right attitude) :)

8/10

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Twister

eq8LCgom.jpg

Coming off the heels of Deep Rising, I fancied something else ‘fun’.

There’s a lot to like about Twister and I’d go as far as saying it’s a great film. The poster above is very ominous indeed but the film itself offsets the danger and threat with a likeable cast and light comedy - it’s a winning tone. The soundtrack switches between joyous convoy romp and then to ‘awe’ when the tornados are on screen. At first, the leads seem wooden and awkward but they are actually quite likeable with convincing chemistry. As a minor point, there are some cheesy and hilarious declarations of “S.O.A.B.!” :D

The special effects are ageing a little but generally are a good mix of CGI and impressive practical effects, the sort that would never happen in a modern film.

Yeah, I do like this film a lot. Worth a revisit if you haven’t seen it for some time (with the right attitude) :)

8/10
Back in 1996 when that was in the Cinema it became the only film I actually walked out of I was so bored :)

Man of Honour
Back in 1996 when that was in the Cinema it became the only film I actually walked out of I was so bored :)
Ha really? Even if the film was a complete duffer from your perspective was the prospect of chasing tornados not appealing enough to even endure it? It’s a pretty exciting concept :p

I don’t think I’ve ever walked out of the cinema!

Man of Honour
Ha really? Even if the film was a complete duffer from your perspective was the prospect of chasing tornados not appealing enough to even endure it? It’s a pretty exciting concept :p

It was a long time ago but I seem to recall laughing at the effects even then (a flying cow comes to mind, unless I imagined that?). But I was with my girlfriend and it's quite possible I wanted to get her back to my flat instead :D

Permabanned
Extract, from the makers of Office Space. 6/10

I went into it thinking I hadn't seen it before but I remembered seeing certain parts.
I spent most of the movie thinking about the tall skinny black haired grunge looking guy, thinking I know his voice from somewhere,
Once I clicked onto who it was I was shocked, it was Erlik Bachman from Silicon Valley! damn he's let himself go!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1225822/

Man of Honour
It was a long time ago but I seem to recall laughing at the effects even then (a flying cow comes to mind, unless I imagined that?). But I was with my girlfriend and it's quite possible I wanted to get her back to my flat instead :D
There is a terrible CGI flying cow, yes :D

Soldato

I've come close a couple of times, once with The Fisher King - the first half was so boring the g/f wanted to leave at the half time interval but we stayed and it turned round to end up a fantastic film and the other was The Thin Red Line, but I sat through the 3 hrs and endured that....just.

The two films I've seen the most people walk out from have been Requiem for a Dream and Dad Savage. The latter was hilarious, billed superficially as a film about a tulip grower set in the Norfolk/Lincolnshire fens it had attracted a mass contingent of retired folk obviously interested in the local connections....that it was actually a violent, heist/kidnap thriller full of swearing and torture took them by surprise to put it mildly! There weren't many left in the cinema by the time it finished :cry:

Man of Honour
I've wanted to walk out a couple of times and if I was on my own I probably would. Third Hobbit film is the most obvious example I can think of
The first Hobbit was pretty terrible… I can definitely remember feeling agonisingly disappointed in the cinema watching that one!

We actually tried watching it again recently. Got maybe two hours in, paused and have never had any incentive to finish it. Chock full of unexciting and unnecessary foreshadowing for a much better trilogy!

Soldato
Silence(2016) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0490215/

Enjoyed this a lot and the time flew by 8/10
I've wanted to watch this since it came out. Can't get the other half interested and it got slightly dubious reviews at the time so I was kinda 'meh' since. Never got round to it. This is the problem with having all this content at your fingertips, end up having to be so unbelievably picky :o

Soldato
I've wanted to watch this since it came out. Can't get the other half interested and it got slightly dubious reviews at the time so I was kinda 'meh' since. Never got round to it. This is the problem with having all this content at your fingertips, end up having to be so unbelievably picky :o

haha I'd never heard of it and popped up while browsing prime and pleasantly surpised, couldn't believe how thin Adam Driver was though!

Back
Top Bottom