What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Watched the Change Up last night. It's the sort of film that you read the back of the DVD case and think "Really? I don't want to watch this!". How wrong I was...

It's pretty silly, the plot is rubbish but it's really quite funny. A couple of cringe moments, however I'd consider Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds to be strong comedy actors. It's not the sort of film you'd sit down and watch with your family...

8/10

Soldato
Trees Lounge - Caught it on iplayer. Steve Buscemi wrote, directed and starred in a film about a mechanic and his circle of aquantances as they drink in the local bar. It was good, he is amazing at playing useless wastrels with just a hint of something else. 4/5

Soldato
True Grit

Was struggling to understand what the hell they were saying half the time. :p
Great acting no doubt, by the three main characters. But overall I found the film very dry and devoid of any emotion whatsoever. There were maybe half a dozen scenes where I felt emotionally stimulated, or any kind of empathy for the characters.

No one seemed to care about killing/being killed/being injured, and even the whole motivation for the hunt fell flat after it was complete - they didn't seem to care afterwards either, so why should I as a viewer care about the characters or what they are trying to achieve?

Overall 5/10. Fantastic individual performances, but a complete waste of time overall.

Man of Honour
True Grit

Great acting no doubt, by the three main characters. But overall I found the film very dry and devoid of any emotion whatsoever. There were maybe half a dozen scenes where I felt emotionally stimulated, or any kind of empathy for the characters.

No one seemed to care about killing/being killed/being injured, and even the whole motivation for the hunt fell flat after it was complete - they didn't seem to care afterwards either, so why should I as a viewer care about the characters or what they are trying to achieve?

Overall 5/10. Fantastic individual performances, but a complete waste of time overall.

Yep, arse of a film. Totally lost interest once they made it to the hut.

Associate
Contagion.

Really disappointed. It was slow-paced and uninteresting. The other half really enjoyed it though.

I was half expecting to want to carry a bottle of hand sanitiser with me for a month afterwards, but it wasn't half as chilling or emotive as I'd expected.

Permabanned
Contagion.

Really disappointed. It was slow-paced and uninteresting. The other half really enjoyed it though.

I was half expecting to want to carry a bottle of hand sanitiser with me for a month afterwards, but it wasn't half as chilling or emotive as I'd expected.

Agreed, totally rubbish. The virus spread rapidly, a decent mortality rate, law and order fell and yet it all just faded away miraculously towards the end.

Such a crap style of filming as well.

VERY disappointed.

Caporegime
Regilulous is brilliant :)

I like Bill Maher!

My little brother doesn't watch many films so we've been watching loads together recently.

Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan and Blade Runner he loved them all, fantastic stuff.

Soldato
Watched a few recently:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo the 2011 version with Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara. Haven't read the book (yet) and I haven't seen the original version of this but I really enjoyed this version. Excellent performances all round from the two main protagonists made for a pretty good movie. :)

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy I fell asleep about 45 mins into the movie - really didn't see what all the fuss was about it just seemed so slow and boring. :confused:

Conan the Barbarian again the 2011 version. And again really good performances all round from all characters, still not a patch on the original "Arnie" version but then we all knew it never would be :p. I'd say this was worth watching, just don't expect too much as it's your typical sword, sorcery, slasher, blood n guts sort of film.

Real Steel which is basically "Rocky with robots". I still think however out of all the most recent films I've seen I enjoyed this one the most. Probably because I wasn't really expecting much and I wasn't disappointed. Have to say though, Evangeline Lilly (Post Lost) still looks amazingly hot. Hell, I'd wife'ie her in a heartbeat. ;)

Soldato
True Grit

I assume you mean the remake with Jeff Bridges by the Coen brothers? I watched it and thought it fairly good. It was apparently truer to the book than the John Wayne film.

Caporegime
Watched a few recently:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo the 2011 version with Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara. Haven't read the book (yet) and I haven't seen the original version of this but I really enjoyed this version. Excellent performances all round from the two main protagonists made for a pretty good movie. :)

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy I fell asleep about 45 mins into the movie - really didn't see what all the fuss was about it just seemed so slow and boring. :confused:

Conan the Barbarian again the 2011 version. And again really good performances all round from all characters, still not a patch on the original "Arnie" version but then we all knew it never would be :p. I'd say this was worth watching, just don't expect too much as it's your typical sword, sorcery, slasher, blood n guts sort of film.

Real Steel which is basically "Rocky with robots". I still think however out of all the most recent films I've seen I enjoyed this one the most. Probably because I wasn't really expecting much and I wasn't disappointed. Have to say though, Evangeline Lilly (Post Lost) still looks amazingly hot. Hell, I'd wife'ie her in a heartbeat. ;)

Watch the original Swedish version it's fantastic, absolutely brilliant. If you're going to read the book (and you enjoy it) see if you can pick up the extended versions of the Swedish films, as if you enjoyed the books you'll love them.

Tinker, while I thought it was amazing, and outstanding performances all round, it's not a 'spy' film, it's a film about men and trust and blah blah, but I see why people might find it boring or slow, although if you thought that was 'slow and boring' please don't watch Il Divo I thought that was tedious at times :p

I enjoyed Conan and Red Steel, neither are going to win awards or what not, but I enjoyed them.

Associate
Transformers 3 Dark Side Of The Moon

5/10

Really enjoyed the special effects in the last 90 minutes or so. The first hour could have been condensed and I found myself getting abit bored. The German guy called Dutch in the Russian bar (?) had me in hysterics though.

Back
Top Bottom