What food can I make that will last? (NO FREEZER)

Associate
Okay so I've just moved out into my own flat and don't have a clue about cooking... I've been living of pot noodles and takeaways atm. (unhealthy and expensive)

I've just got my hands on a fridge (NO FREEZER)

I need some food ideas that are easy to cook and that I can make on a Sunday and eat throughout the week (5 days) either from the fridge or warmed back up. I have containers at the ready xD

Many thanks for saving my life guys

Must last 5 days
Only have access to a fridge no freezer

p.s please move if this in the wrong area, thanks again.

Soldato
The first thing I thought of was good ol' mince and tatties, or some variation of, like shepherds pie or something, but not sure how long that would keep in the fridge if you were to make it on a weekend and then eat it throughout the week (and don't have access to a freezer).

Eggs are easy enough to make. A frittata is pretty simple and fast to make, plus you can throw in anything at all you might have kicking about.

Caporegime

Might be for work lunches. If you're busy after work cooking each night takes ages.

If youre happy to cook twice a week really expands your options.

But look to get a freezer off Facebook ads, eBay local or something. Can easily be 20 quid.

Caporegime
takeaways all the time is a mugs game. they will literally kill you and cost a fortune.

pasta is your friend. add tuna, mayo, sweetcorn, peppers etc or mince and bolognese sauce.

rice is another option like a biriyani however i wouldn't recommend it for longer than 3 days max.

eggs are quick to make and simple. you can put anything in them too. french bread, boiled, omelettes options are endless.

buy a toastie maker. cheese & bread plus anything else you fancy as an additional topping, chillies, tomatoes.

Soldato
Chilli. Once you're bored of it on day three, throw some basil in it and another tin of chopped tomatoes and have a spicy bolognese. Can also serve with baked potatoes once you're bored of rice. It'll easily keep for 5 days.

Associate
Right, i'll also set the food budget like the same i do with pc builds.

£1-5 a day on food breakfast lunch dinner(portion wise) buy cheapest food you can find in the supermarket, your going to have to work out how much a week your going to buy and then prepare your meals size portion into your container and then in the fridge which should be fine and then work out how much your prepared portion meal costs so you get better at this.

There are numerous sites that do this kind of budget.

So yeah prepare your food then put it into your containers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22263706

http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2014/07/18/eat-just-10-per-week-healthy-recipes-budget-meals

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-budget-recipes-help-families-live-cheap.html

Those links should help you, you will have to go into the routine of preparing your food this way with every portion sized meal you do.

So yeah so you could have corn flakes for breakfast so your going to work out how much corn flakes you have used and work out the cost and same with the milk etc,etc,etc i estimate it to be something like 25p prehaps for milk and cornflakes.

My two pence again

Dan

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom