What game did you play last?

Soldato
Played Legendary Encounters: Alien on Sunday as I just picked up the Alien Covenant expansion. We didn't play the Covenant scenario, but we did get a couple of the new drones and oosh, they're mean. Also played Island Project, and once again was asked where it can be bought (answer: only from Swan Panasia's website, I hope you speak Chinese).

We finished off with another Chinese game, Power On!, in which players collect cards to build and fuel power plants so they can light up city districts for points. The trick is that if you use coal or oil as fuel you need to add blocks to the Carbon Tower, and if it collapses you fail to power up. But fuelling with uranium requires more cards and specific cards, and renewable resources fluctuate in energy value. It's simple and interesting, and because the Carbon Tower blocks are hexagonal you can spite the next player by stacking your own blocks flat then putting the last one upright, unbalancing the Tower.

Associate
Sat down and tried another go at The 7th Continent last night, I think I'm 100% decided that I don't enjoy the game as it's too much of a chore to setup and play. Usually I'm okay with the 'build your own adventure' type games that you can do solo or co-op but this one just felt a bit too fragmented and it's a total nuisance having to try and find stuff in the book.
I imagine it's more suited to someone who likes longer games and wants has the space to leave it out on a table for a few days at a time so that they don't have to keep packing and unpacking it for each session.

Soldato
My auntie and uncle got trolls and dragons and King of Tokyo for the kids.

Played both a few times already since boxing day and can see them becoming firm favourites pretty fast. Great games and both are fun and not overly complicated which is key with the kids.

Got a few games we've purchased and for various reasons we've never broken out so going to make the effort to play them over the next few days. Got Munchkin, Camel Up, Port Royal, Escape the Cursed Temple and Suburbia to try out.

Soldato
Played Carcassonne and Star Wars Carcassonne over Christmas. Never played them before, but they're both quite good I thought. Quite simple but perhaps a little too much down to RNG?

A little RNG but make sure you play with farm scoring for maximum hatred! :D

Additionally you can somewhat mitigate the luck by drawing a hand of 3 tiles.

Man of Honour
Played quite a bit of Roll for it, Azul, Splendor and even Kingdomino over Christmas. Roll for it was for the 85 year old... just so we could avoid playing Uno for 4 hours.

We also got a stack of games for Christmas...

LtGOHUe.jpg

So many to choose from...

Soldato
Had a family new year games night before kids went to bed.

Mmm, Troll and Dragon, King of Tokyo, Labrynth and Camel Up were all played. First time playing Camel Up and it went down a blast, such a fun game!

Man of Honour
Went round a friends last night for a few games and many nibbles. Cave aged goats cheese... Ooooh... :D
Played Ticket to Ride London, Flash Point Fire Rescue and Quadropolis.

Played other Ticket to ride games before, but London is a great version. It's a bit simpler, much smaller and faster to play. I reckon you could get a 4 player game done in 20 minutes with people who know it.
I definitely think that Flash Point is my favourite game at the moment. In fact, I've ordered the Extreme Danger expansion for it. Will probably get the whole set of additional maps. I like it that much.
Quadropolis is a very good city building game, with a clever mechanic for less than 4 players. You lay all the tiles for that round out and then remove the ones labelled for 4 or 3-4 players depending on the number of players you've got. And that bloody Urbanist piece... I hate him!

Man of Honour
Normal thursday games night back again.

Ended up playing one of our christmas games for the first time. Disney's Villainous. It's very pretty, looks like they got Disney artists involved. The figurines that are included and really nice caricature type things. Clever idea as every player has a different goal and their own play board. Played with 5 players, and it was the first time playing for all of us. Wasn't the fastest game, plus not entirely sure we were playing it 100% correctly, good fun though. Well worth getting, especially as Rymans were recently doing it for as little as £15... :eek:

Followed that with a 6 player Sagrada game, I very much lost that one. First time playing with 6 players, it's a lot slower than with 4 and the public objectives we had, it was almost impossible to get a high score. Still a good game though, and the extra addition of a proper dice tray is a very good one.

Associate
Awesome to find this thread, I've recently started playing boardgames after someone in work organised a night.

Over Christmas I picked up Rhino Hero to play on a weekend away with the girlfriend. It was very light and super quick, about 5-10 mins gameplay and worked well with just the 2 of us. We laughed a lot during the game which means it's a definite keeper. I think it suits well to bringing out at the start of a games session to get into the groove.
I also picked up Shadow in Kyoto, it was very different than the games we usually play (Jaipur/Patchwork) with multiple ways to win and involved a lot more strategy and trying to work each other out. We only played one game of this as it was our first time playing so took a lot longer than usual with checking the rules and that. Looking forward to returning to it though.

Both of those were picked up on the recommendation of the owner of Replay in Bangor, Co. Down. A really nice guy who spent 10-15 mins with me recommending different games after he regrettably informed me they ran out of stock of Codenames: Duet. If anyone is nearby, I recommend calling in. A decent selection and very friendly staff.

First time playing Camel Up and it went down a blast, such a fun game!
This has been on my list for a while! Hoping one on the guys in work has a copy he can bring in as I often see it being recommended as a very fun game.

Soldato
This has been on my list for a while! Hoping one on the guys in work has a copy he can bring in as I often see it being recommended as a very fun game.

It is, but it's not really a two player game. We usually play it at 6-8 players, and I recommend at least proxying up the partnership cards from Super Cup. They let a player swap his card with that of a player who hasn't already been partnered. At the end of the leg each player in a partnership gets to cash one of his partner's leg bets (including the £1 tile for rolling a die), and then the cards are returned to their owners.

Man of Honour
Ticket to ride Europe, been on the shelf ages and finally got around to playing it. It's a really great game and a family favourite now!

It's quite a simple idea for a game... and then you play it and someone takes the one line you need to finish your 2 routes forcing you to take a detour around 4 more cities. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

Soldato
It's quite a simple idea for a game... and then you play it and someone takes the one line you need to finish your 2 routes forcing you to take a detour around 4 more cities. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!
Haha, flipping the table is quite a possibility! The younger ones really enjoy trying to collect the coloured cards to make the routes though, I was surprised my 5 year old picked it up super fast.
Have you tried Villainous yet? Noticed you got it for Christmas! My daughter would probably love it.

Soldato
My Sunday group was off, but the family games group that meets on the first Sunday was still running so I got to start off the year with Azul: Summer Pavilion - the best version by a long way - Island Project, which always goes with a bang, and Fast Sloths.

My final tally for plays in 2019 was 316 plays of 161 unique games. Way above what I was expecting - I was aiming for 250 plays. I doubt I'll match that this year, what with one thing and another.

Associate
It is, but it's not really a two player game. We usually play it at 6-8 players, and I recommend at least proxying up the partnership cards from Super Cup. They let a player swap his card with that of a player who hasn't already been partnered. At the end of the leg each player in a partnership gets to cash one of his partner's leg bets (including the £1 tile for rolling a die), and then the cards are returned to their owners.
Ah thats great to know. Yep, we have a sort of monthly games night where we get around 4-6 people. Do you feel 4 would be too little?

Man of Honour
Have you tried Villainous yet? Noticed you got it for Christmas! My daughter would probably love it.

Got one game of it in, 5 players.

It's fun. Each player has their own board and aim of the game. You can screw with other players with their fate cards, so if someone gets way ahead you can drag them back a little. It's very pretty, art is fantastic, the figures are lovely caricatures. There's 2 expansions which add 2 pretty minor villains and one major one each (Scar and the Evil Queen). Still waiting for Cruella de Vil to make an appearance.

Looking forward to getting it to the table again.

Man of Honour
Wednesday night was gaming in the bar night! There was 10-11 of us at one point. So party game time.

Got a good game of Decrypto in. Looking at getting the laserdisc expansion soon.

Then split into 2 groups. Had a game of Sushi Go Party! First time I've played it and it's fantastic. Such a simple idea and yet so infuriating. Think I'll get this one out again very soon.

We played Just One. Game I got cheap just before Christmas. Really simple idea, but can be a real pain in the backside to play. Especially when 4 of the 5 people writing clues write the same clue, so it gets eliminated.... Have to guess a word with a single clue.... Hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom