What game did you play last?

Associate
Played a couple of games over the weekend with my niece, we had a quick game of Forbidden Desert since it's one we always enjoy.

We decided to attempt it on the Legendary difficulty for the first time which made for a nice tough game... we ended up slightly bending the rules for my niece to continue the game solo, as my character died fairly quickly after the storm split us up and my water ran out thanks to some unfortunately bad shuffling of the deck. She came pretty close to winning, dying just after picking up the last piece of the airship to escape.

After that we decided to give the new Machina Arcana set from Kickstarter a spin.
My niece played as a Mystic and I played as a Crafter.

It took a fair bit of time to go through the initial setup as neither of us had played the game before and there's a decent amount of pieces. The first couple of rounds were slow as well as there was a lot of me flicking back and forth through the rulebook to fully understand what to do... they really could have done with printing a cheat sheet at the back of the manual rather than forcing you to download one off their website! (discovered the cheat sheet on their site after we stopped playing).

Once we got our heads around the game, the rounds started to flow a lot quicker, though we completely forgot to add essence for opening chests or activating events. Despite that we still managed to complete a few chapters of a scenario by killing monsters for essence.
We ended up stopping part way through as the game takes a pretty long time to complete... plus we picked the longest scenario in the box.

Overall it was a decent experience for a first time playing, so it's definitely one we'd go back to.

Soldato
We've been playing Pandemic quite a bit since buying it at christmas. Its a perfect game to get my missus into boardgames.

I'm very tempted to pick up Pandemic Legacy Season 1. Has anyone played this? Seeing as you can only play through it once, is it still worth buying?

I'm also eyeing up Forbidden Island and liked Sagrada. Can anyone recommend any other cooperative games for two players? Nothing too heavy.

Soldato
Pandemic Legacy season 1
An interesting take on the game. Our group really enjoyed it but I would say you need the same 4 players in order to be... aware of / keep up with... the extra rules it introduces throughout the game.
Once you have played it, you'll want season 2.

You can use the board afterwards to play original Pandemic apparently.

You could try Forbidden Desert which is slightly harder and then Forbidden Skies but I've not had a chance to play that yet.

Soldato
It will be just be myself and the other half playing Pandemic Legacy so I guess we'll control two characters each. How many games did it take your group to play through it? I've read that it can vary from 12 to 24 games, depending how successful you are?

Soldato
Would have to check but I think it was around 20. I think we did it over a few sessions spread over 2 months.
The rules were misread by one of our players early on so we were up against it once I realised but it was late game by then. We failed overall but it was enjoyable. I don't let that player read the rules anymore unless I've read them first.
If you fail then you get a 2nd chance for the same month. You can take advantage of this.

We flew through season 2 and won that easily.

Soldato
It will be just be myself and the other half playing Pandemic Legacy so I guess we'll control two characters each. How many games did it take your group to play through it? I've read that it can vary from 12 to 24 games, depending how successful you are?

You get two attempts at each month, after which you move on to the next month regardless. If you win it gets harder, if you fail it gets easier.

Pandemic Legacy S3 is meant to be coming this year, as well.

I finally got to table De Vulgari Eloquentia last night after four months of trying. Players take the role of merchants in the Middle Ages trying to develop a simpler unified language to replace Latin, which they do by touring Italy and collecting the local dialects. It's definitely different to your typical action-selection game.

Associate
I'm also eyeing up Forbidden Island and liked Sagrada. Can anyone recommend any other cooperative games for two players? Nothing too heavy.
Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert are both good fun for quick and easy to get into co-op games.
Some other games that you can co-op that aren't too complex or labour-intensive to setup are Castle Panic, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, One Deck Dungeon or if you don't mind some mild complexity then Elder Sign is a good introduction to co-op games that have a Lovecraft theme.

Soldato
Played Caylus last night for the first time in forever. 15 years old and it remains excellent.

So I can remember to log the plays later: I also played Dream Home, King Thief Minister, Gingerbread House, Honga and Solenia.

Man of Honour
Some games at the bar last night.
Started off with a quick card game. Spaceteam. We failed, but weren't far away from winning. Once all the cards are dished out, only takes about 5 minutes. Was pretty good.

Moved onto the main game for the night. Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space. Love this game. Hidden movement. Humans have to get to the escape pods (and hope they work), aliens just need to find and eat the humans. :D 1 human escaped and the other 2 humans got eaten.

Finally, Dixit. Not played this before. Pretty simple, very attractive if vague designs (deliberately), but I'm dreadful at it. :D

Also found out about a little local con that's happening later this year. Didn't realise that we have a games company in the town and it'/s held in their offices basically, Alley Cat Games. Really want to give Dice Hospital a go. Apparently last year they offered some pretty good discounts on their own games too... ;)

Soldato
Played Age of Steam on Wednesday. I won, but I can't say I liked it much because the main reason I won (by 1 point) was because another player rolled two threes on three dice.

I haven't played Dice Hospital but I have heard reasonably positive things. Technically it should be called Die Hospital, but that might give the wrong impression. :D

Soldato
Haven't had a family game night in ages due to night out, kids being out and illness. Eventually played tonight and just had a nice easy one playing Labrynth, Mmmm and Camel Up and had a great time as always.

Nice to be back in the flow.

Soldato
Last night might have been the last gaming night for a while. Played Rival Restaurants (mediocre KS game), The Magnificent (very nice dice drafting game about running a circus), and Dominion for the first time in a year.

Soldato
Got Quacks of Quedlinburg from amazon last week. Great game. Played just myself and my wife. Liked it that much we ordered the expansion, the Herb witches the next day.
Push your luck game with mitigation and a little strategy. Recommend.

Back
Top Bottom