What game did you play last?

Man of Honour
We've got a few games over the last month or so, 2 birthdays and just buying...

Pandemic
Quacks of Quedlinburg and the Herb Witches expansion
Citadels
Dice Force
Potion Explosion
7 Wonders Armada expansion
Flash Point Fire Rescue - Tragic Events expansion - been looking for this for about a year!
Blockbuster - we're being ambitious that we'll be allowed to get into a group big enough to play it again at some point...

Supported a local game company too. Couple of Alley Cat Games
Welcome to Dino World Deluxe edition
Dice Hospital

Also had the Muffin Time Kickstarter arrive yesterday. :D

Got Quacks of Quedlinburg from amazon last week. Great game. Played just myself and my wife. Liked it that much we ordered the expansion, the Herb witches the next day.
Push your luck game with mitigation and a little strategy. Recommend.

We found it isn't great with 2 players, too easy for one player to just start pulling away almost immediately, but more importantly... You need to order 400 21mm coin capsules. It'll stop the tokens getting worn very quickly. As you mix the tokens about a lot in the bags, the white tokens become easy to differentiate from the other ones by touch. We've done the coin capsules, cheaper than the 3d printed or the GeekUp upgraded bits.

Associate
We've got a few games over the last month or so, 2 birthdays and just buying...

Pandemic
Quacks of Quedlinburg and the Herb Witches expansion
Citadels
Dice Force
Potion Explosion
7 Wonders Armada expansion
Flash Point Fire Rescue - Tragic Events expansion - been looking for this for about a year!
Blockbuster - we're being ambitious that we'll be allowed to get into a group big enough to play it again at some point...

Supported a local game company too. Couple of Alley Cat Games
Welcome to Dino World Deluxe edition
Dice Hospital

Also had the Muffin Time Kickstarter arrive yesterday. :D

We found it isn't great with 2 players, too easy for one player to just start pulling away almost immediately, but more importantly... You need to order 400 21mm coin capsules. It'll stop the tokens getting worn very quickly. As you mix the tokens about a lot in the bags, the white tokens become easy to differentiate from the other ones by touch. We've done the coin capsules, cheaper than the 3d printed or the GeekUp upgraded bits.

I bought the Herb Witches expansion yesterday to give to a friend for Saturday - love the Quacks. Looking forward to playing it again and trying the expansion.

I think last game we played was Wingspan, also tried Cosmic Encounter which seemed unbalanced but only played it once so will give it another go at some point.

Soldato
Pandemic, I purchased the board game which arrived Wednesday. Its really good fun, some of the roles I need to keep checking as I noticed I made mistakes on my first play through. I still failed miserably though.

On Tabletop Simulator I've finally got around to learning Darkest Night and what a game! I love the look, the theme, the hero's and the cooperation needed throughout. Its taken some time to learn as the rules wasn't all clear enough, so watching some YT videos helped learn the game. Once learnt, it becomes pretty easy to make the game flow, I might forget to do the odd thing now and again though.

I still need to learn how to play Mistfall on Tabletop Simulator as well.

Soldato
We've got a few games recently from KS deliveries and other sources.

Of the new games managed to Takenoko and Deep Sea Adventure. Both were hugely loved.amdncam see them being regular occurrences when playing with the family and kids.

Associate
Play games every weekend, built up quite a collection now. We generally buy 1 new game and 1 expansion a month. Latest purchase was Cities & Knights expansion for Catan.

Haven't decided what i am buying this month, but will make a decision in the next few days before Saturday if i can.

Man of Honour
Got a couple of games of Azul in last night as well as a game of Welcome to Dino World.

Azul is definitely a classic game now. Simple, elegant and annoying as hell at times. Although it depends who you're playing with and if they're as much of an utter ******* as I am. ;)

Welcome to Dino World is brilliant. Played it in a bar originally. There was 10 of us, all swearing at the dice rolls. Played with 3 last night and still swore at the dice. :D Build a Dinosaur Park, while also trying to match as many of the 8 objectives as possible. Great puzzle game. There's a print and play version available here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uIQFEgbOqF-IkeUdlnM-y9cO7EQ-djtR

Soldato
The Monster Box of Monsters expansion to Hogwarts Battle.

It's broken. It literally cannot be won, not with 2 player anyhow. You're dead before you take your turn. We've tried all sorts of house rules to no avail.

Off to the charity shop it goes.

Soldato
Three Dragon Ante

Dungeons and Dragons poker lite if you will.
Play one card at a time, the next player can instigate the power on their card if it is a higher number. You won and lose coins depending on the result. Sets of 3 cards of the same number or colour get bonuses.
Pretty quick to learn and play. Quite enjoyed it.

Played in our alehouse and found out the owners are fans of D&D so a new campaign will be happening soon. Bonus!!

Associate
The Monster Box of Monsters expansion to Hogwarts Battle.

It's broken. It literally cannot be won, not with 2 player anyhow. You're dead before you take your turn. We've tried all sorts of house rules to no avail.

Off to the charity shop it goes.

Me & the wife found the same issues, super hard just got spanked.

Man of Honour
Picked up Dungeon Mayhem Monster Madness, comes with 6 character decks, but we've already got the base game and the Battle for Baldur's Gate expansion, and it nicely holds all 12 decks.
It's fun game, plays up to 6 (perfect if the bar games sessions ever start up again) and we now have some extra choices for playing.

Also got a game of Dice Hospital in. It's great. Need to play it a couple more time to get the rules embedded in my brain, but it seems to have some good strategy to it.

Man of Honour
If you take it to a bar sleeve it! Cards don't fit in the insert though. I printed my own instead :p

It's fine. Cheap game plus the group that we play with is pretty good with taking care. It's usually only a 1 or 2 pint evening for most of them. Tables are seriously cleaned there as well, they were really good about it before Corona, I expect they'll be even better after.

Soldato
OP
Had a few rounds of Gloomhaven: Jaws of the lion recently, playing solo with 2 characters, picked up the original Gloomhaven a couple of times with good intentions and never played it more than once as the setup time and put away time was horrendous but this is much more manageable.

Also played a game of Dungeon Alliance and was really impressed.

Finally on a train back from London managed to get the first game of Star Wars: Unlock played, don't know if it was the theme but one of my favorite Unlock games so far, looking forward to the other 2 before passing it on.

Associate
Ran a little games night over the weekend for some friends of mine who don't know much about the hobby and I think it went really well.

We played Skull, Codenames: Pictures and Sheriff Of Nottingham (2nd edition).

Skull was fun, very short but after a few games I think we started to nail down the tactics of seeing how people play to know if there skull is still in play and how they are betting. Felt like we only brushed the surface of the tactics so will definitely be brought to the table again as a game to play at the start or end of a night.

Codenames: Pictures, decided on this over the original as one the participants learnt english as a second language and I hoped pictures would remove some of the friction that the original may have for that person, it was fun!

Sheriff of Nottingham, again a really fun game that they got into and understood very quickly so a great game for newcomers. We did not play any of the expansions that come as standard with the 2nd edition. Overall I think the 1st edition rule is better when it comes to the 2 face up draw piles you can use, this allows you to see the cards that the other players are drawing which is removed in the 2nd edition since you only draw from the face down draw pile.

Some other 'lighter' games that I'd love to hear feedback on for introducing to new players:
Camel up - I hear great things, tried watching a youtube video but didn't grab me as much as I thought it would.
Cockroach Poker - I've bought this as it was so cheap (£7-8) on Zatu, watched SUSD review and they loved it, how are you guys liking it if you have played it?

Soldato
Camel Up is a lot of fun, especially towards the end of the race when it can all change. It's very simple one you know the options you have on your turn.
Highly suggest getting the Super Cup expansion.

Soldato
Cockroach Poker - I've bought this as it was so cheap (£7-8) on Zatu, watched SUSD review and they loved it, how are you guys liking it if you have played it?

Cockroach Poker (AKA Kakerlaken Poker) is a lot of fun, but you really need close to the maximum number of players or it runs too long.

Note that the Super Cup expansion for Camel Up is not compatible with 2nd edition. Pick up a second hand copy of 1st edition if you can.

Man of Honour
Picked up the Dice Forge expansion and the Villainous - Evil Comes Prepared expansion from Amazon Prime Day. Hidden them away for other half's Christmas pressies.

Recently printed and laminated a kickstarter I got a few weeks ago. Black It Out. Was all of £2... :D It's pretty good for a basic game. Also finalised my pledge for Roll Camera, it's looking good. Going for the vertical box with the custom tray insert. Looks really cool.

Unfortunately, couple of weeks ago had a small stroke so my left hand is a bit wonky at the moment. So i've gone and spent a few quid at Chaos Cards and got some wooden card holders. Just to make my life a little easier for a bit.

Soldato
Oh crap, get well soon man.

I've been playing a few games online recently. Most notable was Cacao, from Phil Walker-Harding (Imhotep, Barenpark), but I've also played Hawaii (not too good) and Egizia (not bad at all).

Also a helpful note: SPIEL.digital starts on Thursday. Registration opens tomorrow and anyone who registers - which is free - will not only get access to the SPIEL tables by arrangement but will also get free Premium access to Tabletopia and BoardGameArena until the 25th.

Back
Top Bottom