What Gives You the Right?

Associate
nobody really cares about spelling that much, as long as some punctuation is used, making the post easy to read, it's all good :)

what does grind my gears is text speak..

ie

wat do u fink i shud buy fr my pc coz its goin well slow

I agree with this. Text speak is just not on. I got a business e-mail the other day that contained some of it which was simply not on... Had to put the sender in his place about that.

Associate
I can understand where the OP is coming from, and understand that some people simply aren't great with spelling/grammar and I don't generally pull people up on their spelling on this forum, because it's the interwebz and doesn't go down well. I do, however, pull people up in real life. Not because I'm being rude, not because I want to look clever or make anyone feel stupid, but because I genuinely can't help it. It's like a tick I have, I see a mistake and I want to correct it. I have to correct it or it'll play on my mind for ages. I think it's an ok thing to do if you're nice about it and don't pretend to be lording it over those who might not be as good at spelling. If done in the right way I don't see anything wrong with it, you're teaching someone. If they take that on board and remember it, then all's good.

Unfortunately some people just aren't nice about it :/

Capodecina
Soldato
I can understand where the OP is coming from, and understand that some people simply aren't great with spelling/grammar and I don't generally pull people up on their spelling on this forum, because it's the interwebz and doesn't go down well. I do, however, pull people up in real life. Not because I'm being rude, not because I want to look clever or make anyone feel stupid, but because I genuinely can't help it. It's like a tick I have, I see a mistake and I want to correct it. I have to correct it or it'll play on my mind for ages. I think it's an ok thing to do if you're nice about it and don't pretend to be lording it over those who might not be as good at spelling. If done in the right way I don't see anything wrong with it, you're teaching someone. If they take that on board and remember it, then all's good.

Unfortunately some people just aren't nice about it :/

Yes, I sometimes do it too. Not to make myself look clever [believe it or not] but just because what they're writing/saying is wrong and they need to know.

Current hatreds:

Per say instead of per se
That peaked my interest instead of piqued my interest

Associate
I still believe that it isn't a problem unless it is in a formal communication like a letter or publication etc. As long as I know what the meaning of the sentence is I don't get bothered. Though, like others, text speak and paragraphs with no punctuation annoy me.

Sometimes things are ironic, like vowel errors in Von Smallhausen's posts when he had the Officer Crabtree banner in his sig, just good fun though :D

Chances are the grammar police read Dan Brown books and think nothing of the terrible grammar.

Permabanned
I learned most of my spelling and grammar from browsing OcUK. Thanks Nazis.

No, seriously. You should see some of my posts from early 2005, I Used To Type Like This. :D

Caporegime
Grammar nazis are in the same class as Health & Safty, Traffic wardens, Customs, Police, Lawyers, Psycologists, Zoologists, Politicians, Gordon Brown, Tony Blair, George bush Snr. & Jnr., Jimmy Carter, Emos, Satan, God & Other People that grind my gears!

You misspelt Safety and psychologists.

PS Trolling for great justice.

Man of Honour
I'm generally fairly easy going about spelling mistakes and try not to point them out unless one of three conditions occurs a) the person puts a (sp?) or similar as they presumably want to be corrected, b) the mistake is humourous, in those cases I'll highlight it and make a joke of the Freudian slip or equivalent, c) when someone corrects another poster on their spelling and makes a mistake, the feeling of schadenfreude is delightful and usually prompts me to point it out to them.

Grammatical errors aren't all that important either unless they impede the legibility of the sentence but again I don't think they should be encouraged. I'd always try my best to write in coherent and composed text as I fear that bad habits once acquired are difficult to break and may inveigle their way into work reports or other such documentation.

Caporegime
Grammatical errors aren't all that important either unless they impede the legibility of the sentence but again I don't think they should be encouraged. I'd always try my best to write in coherent and composed text as I fear that bad habits once acquired are difficult to break and may inveigle their way into work reports or other such documentation.

I'll typically only point things out if someone is truly incoherent, or if they're already irritating in some other way.

Associate
Spelling and punctuation doesn't bother me at all, but it does bother me when people need to point it out as its like they are saying their better than the person who posted.

Back
Top Bottom