What Gives You the Right?

Soldato
This is the only forum in the world with idiots saying "you spelt this wrong, learn to spell, it's You're NOT your etc etc" tell them to bugger off and get a life. As long as it's readable without too much hard work, then there is no problem except for the saddo's doing what i already mentioned.

Lol, happens on every forum I've ever seen.

Soldato
Poor grammar/spelling is easily bareable when it's obvious someone is just bad at it, through dyslexia or whatever. I CANNOT abide text speak though, it's just plain lazy.

However, what really gets on my nerves is when I'm talking to someone and they say 'your' when they mean 'you're'. I'm sick of correcting people. :(

Soldato
As a friend of mine put it "It's not how you say it, it's what you say".

I think it's very petty when people have nothing to contribute but "OMG YOU'VE SPELT THAT WRONG lololol", even though I have sometimes been guilty of it myself.

I do obsess over my own spelling and grammar most of the time. :p

Soldato
- Text speak.
- Walls of text.
- Using all caps.
- Using strange fonts/sizes/colours.

Agreed. I don't mind any grammatical errors as long as it's legible. Text speak, walls of text, caps, and hard to see colours make it hard to read, and that annoys me. However, I rarely say anything, because I can usually decipher it. The only time I really say something, is when I simply cannot understand a post.

That said though, I am a bit of a grammar nazi on myself, and if I notice a mistake in my post, I must edit it.

I agree with OP I freely admit I'm not the worlds best speller and in this informal environment is it really nessasary to point out mistakes? It does seem like some people are a bit OCD about it tbh

It's not OCD, it's a nerd mentality, I'm not saying that OcUK forums is full of nerds because tbh I don't believe it is, but, your certainly going to find a higher concentration of them on here than most places, and nerds as a whole seem to have this annoying personality trait that involves them correcting you on every mistake @ an almost pedantic level, even though they understand perfectly what you was trying to convey or do.

Why they do this I'm not sure, I'd hazard a guess that it makes them feel good pointing out other peoples mistakes because their own lives are void of any other 'normal' pleasures so they suckle off the energy they get from putting other people down.

Unless someone is complaining about text speak (which I think has no place on any forum) I just think they are very sad individuals.

Soldato
To be honest, if you feel belittled by somebody pointing out your failure to grasp the english language in it's written form and further take offence at it being pointed out (with the caveat that it does depend on how it's worded) then you have issues and it's your problem, not the person who is attempting to show you correct useage.

I've probably made several errors in this post and if somebody tells me so in a polite manner than I'll attempt to assimilate that knowledge rather than getting my panties in a twist because somebody who knows better decided to tell me I'm wrong, but hey, if you feel comfortable in your ignorance, carry on.

:)

Back
Top Bottom