What happened to Flashpoint 2?

Associate
I've never actually played OFP, It's always one of those afterthoughts to me compared to the likes of Far Cry, Half Life 2 etc.

Think I might just pick it up considering it's really cheap right now, the whole crawling for a mile through woods just because you can ideas sounds really cool.

Soldato
It's showing it's age now but is still a lot of fun. Unless you've played it before, it may take a while to get used to the way people move. Unlike the 'on-ice' system with modern FPS games, it feels far more realistic.

Soldato
3rd quarter this year :)

Publisher is irrelevant, if they don't get one they will release it via the web :)

Land size will be 400km^2 for the new island, island making technology will be compatible with satellite imagery. Technology is such that you could, in theory, make 1:1 maps of the world due to "streaming terrain" (not sure how it works exactly), but anyway, maps are bloody massive.

In other words - can't bloody way! :D

Associate
tell them there are some Ocuk peeps who can help playtest it......like me
me, me, me i can help pretty please :)

ahhh ha via Web,,hmmm digital download ?
i hope they do not go down the Steam verification route, i hate that nonsense.

Associate
clapton is god said:
i hope they do not go down the Steam verification route, i hate that nonsense.

How come? It worked brilliantly for me with Half Life 2. And it cuts down on piracy (my mate downloaded it but it didn't work properly).

Edited - this is okay - I don't condone piracy, I always buy games I want. My mate found out that downloading isn't the answer ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Chris [BEANS] said:
mmmmmmmmmmmm, huge terrains, realism (as good as games get anyhow) so that patience and tactics rule over gung ho rubbish :cool:

Wonder how multiplayer will work on such a huge game?? Can't wait to find out though!!!!

Ah yes, about multiplayer - player limit is not coded in, it depends on mission and server hardware alone :cool:

Soldato
OF:p was quality, I remember spending hours setting up ambushes in Resistance :p was lovely taking out the lead APC and then the rear one then ordering your men off hold fire to fire at will as the soldiers piled out of the trucks :)

Soldato
Here is some good info on 'Next Gen Game 2'...

http://www.vbs1.eu/include.php?path=content/articles.php&contentid=364

The soldier could interact with objects and Ai. It looked like all objects actually weigh something.
In the demo the soldier walked to a table and looked at a piece of paper on the table, an inventory box popped up and gave details of this object ie contents of letter and its total weight!
Looks like everything has a weight, and if you carry too much you will soon become fatigued!
The demo showed interaction with Ai soldiers in its early stages also. simple Hello, goodbyes, what time is it, where you been, where you going, what you seen etc....

This game will be brilliant. Mark it up on the cool wall please.

Associate
The original really was special, even though it was terribly buggy at release.
I always remember the mission where you have to escape through a forest and make your way to a pickup point. There's nothing like stealing a Lada from outside a village and then tearing hell for leather across country with BMP's in hot pursuit.
Quality, I only hope Armed Assault can live up to it.

Associate
Yeh I second that, brilliant mission that.

I remember the one where you escape at night and they'd taken your weapons and even your compass - you had to navigate by finding the North Star and head south at 180 deg to it.

And it was things like going back to an area you'd been to before to find it different - over-run with troops. And where you finish the game and it is peace time, going back to areas you've fought pitched battles is magic.

Associate
I remember the one where you escape at night and they'd taken your weapons and even your compass - you had to navigate by finding the North Star and head south at 180 deg to it.
:D Nice.

I'm just going to go ahead and buy this, sounds brilliant just the kind of thing I like, one question... are they any mods to improve the graphics etc?

Would just be nice to have it a bit more modern looking.

Soldato
Zacko said:
:D Nice.

I'm just going to go ahead and buy this, sounds brilliant just the kind of thing I like, one question... are they any mods to improve the graphics etc?

Would just be nice to have it a bit more modern looking.

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/

More mods than you could possibly download ;)

Look for things like BAS, CoC (no laughing pls), FFUR, ECP, MMP, FDF, etc. :)

Soldato
i never could do the mission where you had to find the stars. Instead, when i stood in the tent under guard, (still in daylight) i quickly ran to the enemy helicopter i was transported in and took off.....however i found it had no ammo, and was quickly shot down by a Shilka a few miles down the road. lol all the same it was a bloody intensive gaming experience.

Soldato
Oh god yeah the two escape missions were incredibly difficult, but all the more excellent for it. The first one in daylight, when you got split off from your group early on in the game was ace. Running through the cover, trying to hide from the patrols, constantly scanning the horizon for tanks and vehicles, hiding under trees from the helicopters, checking your map to find a good route to the escape point under cover, making sure you had enough time left before the final evac, and of course sprinting like your life depended on it when you needed to. Fantastic. :)

The second one I have to admit I did the smash-and-grab helicopter trick myself too. I think I cheekily managed it once just messing around, before getting shot down, and then figured it was far easier to do that than mess around waiting for night and the constellations, especially since the chopper had a compass built in to it. :p

Associate
I had it for a while and my system was barly running it. sold it the other day before i built my new rig. tad gutted as id like to revisited that. Sure the graphics werent amazing for me it added to the appeal. it just seemed grittier and a sense of distance not seen in other games for a long time.

Oh on a note, being colour blind certainly didnt bloody help. zooming in watching the tree lines for a lil movement wich was either a leave or just another tree :( stupid genetics.

loved every minute of it. Lol i remember that one escaping in a crapped out car, so much fun

Back
Top Bottom