What has made myspace so big?

Man of Honour
I don't even know what 'emo' is :(

I think it's something to do with the whole "I'm a teenager ooh look how I dress, I'm cool but nobody realises it, and, er, I can't hold a beer but I'll try my best to look trendy anyway" phase, mixed in with weird dress and even weirder music tastes :p

Soldato
Beansprout said:
I don't even know what 'emo' is :(

I think it's something to do with the whole "I'm a teenager ooh look how I dress, I'm cool but nobody realises it, and, er, I can't hold a beer but I'll try my best to look trendy anyway" phase, mixed in with weird dress and even weirder music tastes :p
And the "God my life's so carp (living in a half a mil house in Surrey with Xbox 360, plasmam telly and a nice stereo to play my emo music on), I hate my parents (even though they fund my snakebite+black and black wardrobe to the tune of a few hundred quid each month), I want to die scene" bit

Soldato
Myspace has become very important for smaller bands, they can put up their demos and build themselves a fan base who then come to their gigs meaning that on some occasions they get paid. Not everyone on myspace is emo, i'm fed up of everyone imediatly jumping to that conclusion but nothing i can say or do will stop anyone from doing it.
I dislike the OMG i'm so emo, pose with my hand in front of my mouth as much as the next person but i don't tar everyone on myspace with the same brush.

Soldato
It's pretty interesting to see how a site as seemingly pointless and terrible as MySpace is still having a good effect - namely, allowing "niche" bands to promote themselves and their music for next to nothing, without label involvement. The Arctic Moneys might be absolutely atrocious musically, but it's interesting to have watched them get hugely popular initially without signing to a label at all, then signing to a minor label, almost soley using the internet for promotion.

Soldato
its becoming a launch pad for bands

its free advertisement really, targeted at the correct audience.

bands just add loads of people and word spreads, i mean ive personnally found some great music on myspace, and maybe bands id go and see... because of myspace.

radio is even scouting music on myspace now... its definitely an indie playground though

Soldato
Don't generalise MySpace pages. Yes many are filled with eye straining colour schemes and fit inducing animations but some like mine are actually quite bland and not emo at all. The reason I use MySpace rather than anything else is because I have more friends that use that than any other site.

Soldato
i have an account that i use to keep in contact with some people who left to go to uni last year, i can see all their new pics from uni etc. im not an emo and my myspace profile is a bland as possible so you can actually read the text, although i did put some music on for a laugh. But i cant stand the people who have profiles where the text is unreadable and the Emo's, myspace isnt just for emos

Back
Top Bottom