What have you done to your car today?

Associate
Few bits today.
- Picked up the car from the bodyshop where the scuff on front bumper was being repaired.
- Replaced the rear drop links and ARB bushes. Not sure they needed doing yet, but I'd just done the front set to fix a creaking noise, and figured the rears wouldn't be far behind. So a preventative measure, especially as I had the rear of the car in the air....installing the birthday present I ordered for myself; a new Remus backbox :D

MnWt3or.jpg

I tried an Invidia catback system earlier this year, but took it off after a few months, bit louder and boomier than I hoped. Was recommended the Remus backbox as it's actually a Subaru option for the BRZ, which means it bolts up to the OEM midpipe and retains the factory resonator. The result is that this sounds a bit deeper and more mature, but isn't too loud when you don't want it to be. It's also suppressed the rather annoying metallic rattle I would sometimes get at low revs, which I think was caused by my OEM backbox not coping with the extra flow from the Ace manifold.

Will see how it sounds after a few weeks of settling in, but so far, the initial impression is good :)
How does it sound the remus backbox?? I actually quite liked the cobrasports resonated system that I had on my old GT86.

Soldato
How does it sound the remus backbox?? I actually quite liked the cobrasports resonated system that I had on my old GT86.

First impressions are good. I've been running an ACE CS400 manifold with a Cobra hi-flow cat for a couple of years, but always felt the sound could be improved, as it could sound a bit raspy sometimes - and I think a lot of that was caused by the old OEM backbox. At low revs/high throttle, it would make a bit of a dull rattling sound.

I first tried to improve it with an Invidia Q300 catback system, which is reputed to be almost as quiet as stock - but when mated to the Ace header, I still found it a bit loud for my liking. It sounded great when you drove hard, but it was a little too loud when I didn't want it to be. Sometimes I'd pull out of a junction, quite wide throttle but low revs, and it would be a bit overbearing (in my opinion anyway). So I sold that on. The guy I sold it to (another GT86 owner) suggested the Remus backbox which was sold as an option for the BRZ, so I did a bit of digging and also got in touch with another owner running one with a catless manifold, for his opinion, as I couldn't find many videos of the Remus in a similar configuration to mine.

The Remus has deepened the tone of the sound overall, and it doesn't have that metallic rattle as much. It's a tad louder, but remains civilised until you put your foot down which is what I wanted. I get some nice feedback when I open the throttle, but at low load, it's still pretty quiet. As I said, unlike the Q300 which was a catback system, the Remus is supplied just as a backbox which bolts up to the stock midpipe resonator, which means it's not too loud. No drone on the motorway...in fact, at cruising speed, it's no louder than OEM until you open the throttle.

So far I'm pleased, but I am keeping an eye (ear?) on it - it's brand new, so no doubt the sound will change a little as it settles in. I can't imagine it would get any louder though.

Associate
The Remus has deepened the tone of the sound overall, and it doesn't have that metallic rattle as much. It's a tad louder, but remains civilised until you put your foot down which is what I wanted. I get some nice feedback when I open the throttle, but at low load, it's still pretty quiet. As I said, unlike the Q300 which was a catback system, the Remus is supplied just as a backbox which bolts up to the stock midpipe resonator, which means it's not too loud. No drone on the motorway...in fact, at cruising speed, it's no louder than OEM until you open the throttle.

So far I'm pleased, but I am keeping an eye (ear?) on it - it's brand new, so no doubt the sound will change a little as it settles in. I can't imagine it would get any louder though.

That is exactly the same with my Remus on my Golf GTI, really pleased. Where the Miltek have the distinctive "tinny" sound the Remus is considerably deeper. So pleased there is zero drone, that can make a car un-drivable.

Associate
I had a HKS FCON Vpro Gold ECU fitted and mapped by ProTuner yesterday. Not cheap but the ECU was a bargain I couldnt turn down on eBay.

hpYkxv.jpg

Soldato
Me: 'I've just finished installing those fog lights I ordered from the UK.'

My daughter: 'But your car already had fog lights.'

The fog lights my car already had:

Na1FH38.jpg

0xYVuvl.jpg

:eek:

Well it had them, just some point in the past lol.

Got mine booked in for its custom tune after the run in period. Will get some numbers from it :)

Caporegime
Well it had them, just some point in the past lol.

They were like this when I bought the car, and for obvious reasons I never actually used them. I still have no idea how they received so much damage. Obviously water had got in at some point and corroded them to buggery, but the heavy scratches on the glass are a bit of a mystery. :confused:

Anyway, the new lamp assemblies arrived this week, and they were very easy to fit.

c6yjem.jpg

Caporegime
Year 2000, 16 valve 2.0 litre 4 cylinder, Selespeed gearbox. Very low mileage, it's only done about 130,000 km.

Oh well... See this is why we shouldn't ask questions. We could have been oblivious to the fact it has Alfas famously unreliable fun sucker gearbox, and could have pretended its a 2.5 Busso manual! :p

Back
Top Bottom