1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done to your car today?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mattyprice4004, 24 Dec 2012.

1. mollymoo

Mobster

Update the firmware on my BCM just so I can change the centre console.

2. Havana_UK

Mobster

Short pile microfibre cloth and Stoner Invisible Glass.

3. Tee Hee Johnson

Mobster

A wheels off clean for the M140i, then claybar (as hadn't done on this car yet) then some of that Hybrid Ceramic Wax... took a while!

Tar and stuff, car was cleaned at this point! Just not done the clay bar yet.

[​IMG]

After :)

[​IMG]

4. Howard

Capodecina

I really hope I never need to ever have a replacement windscreen. Why does it so frequently seem like such a ballache?

5. Frozennova

Man of Honour

Manufacturers like to make it a ballache. I'm glad I got out of doing it 3 years ago. Ford seem enjoy doing thinks like "Oh this Focus has a heated screen and Sync but no auto wipers so lets put a screen it that has the Auto Wipers"

6. Uther

Capodecina

Battery change on the sons Honda Jazz, what's all this stuff about 'retraining the ECU'? I just let it idle for a few minutes while I was setting the clock and radio code and it seems fine.

7. Acme

Caporegime

How old is it? I don't think I've ever had a car new enough to do that. :p

8. DRZ

Soldato

Changed the oil+filter, air filter, fuel filter and cabin filter in the Range Rover today. Not a bad job at all!

I also replaced the rear light clusters both sides - one was cracked, the other really full of water. Looks a lot better now :)

9. Uther

Capodecina

2009, I read it on a car specific forum (yes there is one lol!) and they talk about all sorts of witchcraft after changing the battery. All a bit modern for me, and I didn't do any of it. Just wondered if it's some sort of internet myth or something!

10. no idea what

Capodecina

It's nothing to worry about. It'll do it without you even noticing.

11. Uther

Capodecina

That's what I thought.

12. Conscript

Sgarrista

Done a couple of things over the past week or so, mainly cosmetic frippery to make the car look and feel a bit more up to date:
    - Bought a new head unit with wireless Android Auto (Kenwood DMX8020DABS). Always wanted AA in my car, but had been holding out looking for a head unit that could do it wirelessly. Kenwood units have a capacitive touch screen too...much less frustrating to use than the last unit I had.
    - The Valenti tail lights I bought second hand a couple of years ago developed a fault...4 of the indicator LEDs in one cluster were intermittently failing. Not really a big problem functionally, but it bugged the hell out of me. Bought a new set of VLAND lights which match the OEM clusters of the facelift cars. Sold the Valentis cheaply to another owner who had the patience and skill to fix the faulty LEDs, so not much out of pocket.
    - Upgraded the front and rear indicators to use LEDs bulbs, matching the tails.
    - Fitted a shark fin aerial. Again, something facelift cars already have.
    - Washed it.

Next on the agenda, the wheels need refurbing. They were done 3 years ago, haven't kerbed them, but the lacquer is peeling on all 4.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. King4aDay

Mobster

Just fixed the lazy left popup headlight on the wedge. Stripped the motor down, cleaned it up, put it back together and now it works, hurrah. It's even in sync with the other one!

14. Cookeh

Sgarrista

Yes, you have. The V70 had to relearn fuel trims and timings after a battery change, or battery disconnect.

15. Acme

Caporegime

I thought he meant coding it to tell it that it has a new battery.

16. dLockers

Mobster

Whenever I see cars with popup headlights my OCD triggers about this :p

17. King4aDay

Mobster

Haha. It had got slower and slower to the point where I had to get out and wind it up and down by hand the last few times.

18. Acme

Caporegime

Washed a couple of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also took the Celica for a nice long drive. Was going to take some pictures of it all covered in dust, with a countryside backdrop, but my phone died... :(

19. gc123

Wise Guy

glad to see im not the only ex w/s fitter even if im a old one lol

20. jpaul

Capodecina

Found a dual purpose for the Porter cable DAP - hadn't used it on the car in ages
    - polishing up some stainless steel with meguiars #83 on the espresso machine,

annoyingly some mice in the garage had eaten into some of the new foam pads

definitely looks like an interesting cleaning technique for the stainless cooker hood too.

any other ideas ?