What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Just sold my Macan back to Porsche for £2000 less than I paid for it 7.5 months ago. WBAC wanted to give me £3000 less than Porsche offered!

The market is mental at the moment.

Soldato
Had the brake fluid changed at Audi Bury St Edmunds. They also done a health check and all is good, which is nice to hear when I only got her at the end of March.

Once I got back to Ipswich I got her cleaned inside and out so she's nice and sparkly again.

I know I could have had it done in Ipswich, but the car originated from the Bury site and they've done all previous servicing and MOTs. Plus, it was an excuse for a drive :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like I need an aircon guy. No way I'm messing with that :D

IMG-20210517-162303.jpg

Associate
Took the sill cover off of my Corolla T Sport as I'm going to sell it to a breaker for £1,100 as I knew this would be the case. Shame really but I have had 3 years out of it as a daily run around and only paid £1,500 for it originally, its now on 150K miles. Could break it myself as it has rare Alcantara interior, satnav and compressor wheels but not sure if I can be bothered.

C8LgOHtl.jpg
u2rdV3Wl.jpg
3HEHlmxl.jpg

Caporegime
I didn't think they suffered from rot to be honest, quite surprised to see that!

Looks an easy repair though. Especially since it doesn't need to be fancy cos it will have a sill cover over it. Why not get it fixed?

£1100 is a rip off. Wheels, interior and nav are worth that alone. And the 2ZZ is worth a fair whack too... I sold my T-Sport with Tein coilovers and Compressor alloys for £2800 and that was a couple of years ago before this recent price inflation started... It didn't have alcantara or nav either.

Lets say it will cost you £500 tops to get that fixed to a good standard. The car will then be worth more than that amount more than you've been offered for it. A cheaper less pretty but solid repair in a garage would probably be half that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Replaced the rear light cluster and got a quote for £380-500 for a PDR door skin repair, subject to seeing it in person. As the low end of that is used door territory, i’ll wait it out and see what the bay of thieves throws up. Ironically every other door is currently available in the correct colour :(

Soldato
Replaced the rear light cluster and got a quote for £380-500 for a PDR door skin repair, subject to seeing it in person. As the low end of that is used door territory, i’ll wait it out and see what the bay of thieves throws up. Ironically every other door is currently available in the correct colour :(
Check the breakers yards out first!

Associate
I didn't think they suffered from rot to be honest, quite surprised to see that!

Looks an easy repair though. Especially since it doesn't need to be fancy cos it will have a sill cover over it. Why not get it fixed?

£1100 is a rip off. Wheels, interior and nav are worth that alone. And the 2ZZ is worth a fair whack too... I sold my T-Sport with Tein coilovers and Compressor alloys for £2800 and that was a couple of years ago before this recent price inflation started... It didn't have alcantara or nav either.

Lets say it will cost you £500 tops to get that fixed to a good standard. The car will then be worth more than that amount more than you've been offered for it. A cheaper less pretty but solid repair in a garage would probably be half that.
Got quoted £900 to fix everything properly, the rear arch has also gone and also the front wing is starting to bubble on passenger side. The engine also has the dreaded timing cover leak and drivers side seat needs the stitching sorting on the bolster. I could break it myself but its time and hassle, I do have all the kit to do it though Inc engine hoist.
May shove it on eBay and see what happens. Still using it as a daily so need to get another car anyway. Or get another T Sport and swap all the good bits over.

Didn't realise the 2zz was worth that much, engine doesn't burn any oil and pulls strong, it's just timing leak. Gearbox is also good. Looking like I could get over £2k for just interior, wheel's and engine.

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Guys, after some advise please. I think the heat has caused this bottom rubber tray to expand and come out and I'm struggling to get it back in and underneath.

I've tried heating it and pushing it underneath but can't get it to stay and not pop up in the middle.

Would these usually be glued down on the underside and the sides as well? Will I have to remove the entire surrounding to fit it under correctly?

Bqzq3u0.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
Check the breakers yards out first!

Most of the old yards are long gone, I spent many a cold and wet afternoon scouring breakers to locate bits and climbing the stacks in my younger days. It’s now a largely online and part nunber driven business up here.

Caporegime
Got quoted £900 to fix everything properly, the rear arch has also gone and also the front wing is starting to bubble on passenger side. The engine also has the dreaded timing cover leak and drivers side seat needs the stitching sorting on the bolster. I could break it myself but its time and hassle, I do have all the kit to do it though Inc engine hoist.
May shove it on eBay and see what happens. Still using it as a daily so need to get another car anyway. Or get another T Sport and swap all the good bits over.

Didn't realise the 2zz was worth that much, engine doesn't burn any oil and pulls strong, it's just timing leak. Gearbox is also good. Looking like I could get over £2k for just interior, wheel's and engine.

Oh wow an arch too! Honestly surprised. I am professional rusty car buyer extraordinaire and I have somehow avoided more than just surface blistering on any of my Toyotas.

Yeah the 2ZZ with gearbox, loom, ECU, keys, video showing it running, service history, etc, probably £1K.

I sold a set of clean Compressor alloys for £450 once. No idea what the interior is worth but I want to say £500. Little bits like cats, nav, bumpers if facelift, few hundred here and there, and then the scrap value for the rest, I expect it will break for over £2500.

Last edited:
Soldato
Set off from work the other day and got a warning about an rear indicator bulb being out and sure enough I could hear the relay clicking faster and see the wing mirror indicator light flashing quicker than usual. When I turned the car off and on again it was absolutely fine and remained fine for a couple of days but I decided I should check it out. Good thing I did:

plug.jpg
light.jpg

Hard to see but some of the terminal in the light fitting has obviously broken off and it's melted. Also noticed that the plug came out in two parts which wasn't right so I presume the guys who repaired my car a couple of years ago knackered the connector somehow. Had to buy a brand new plug and crimp a new terminal on as well as a new rear part of the light assembly. Luckily a quick easy job but that could've been interesting if I'd left it a while.

Also took all 4 locking wheel bolts off my car and replaced with new legit BMW bolts before they had a chance to give me any hassle.

Still haven't got the problematic wheel bolt off from the wife's car though. I got a replacement lock bolt key (with little to no expectation) and started off with the other 3 wheels - those locking bolts came out without too much hassle and have now been replaced with normal bolts so 3 out of 4 isn't so bad. Tyre foam is keeping it inflated for now but I've got someone coming out on Sunday who can hopefully remove the problematic bolt so at least I only have to pay to have 1 done now. Brand new regular bolt is waiting to take its place if they manage it :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Most of the old yards are long gone, I spent many a cold and wet afternoon scouring breakers to locate bits and climbing the stacks in my younger days. It’s now a largely online and part nunber driven business up here.
Start here they are very good & very professional will also provide more detailed pics if you need & ask nicely but their standard pics are pretty good anyway! SYNETIQ - Intelligent Solutions for Insurance; Parts; Salvage; Auctions; Recycling; IT; Fleet; Logistics

Associate
instead of creating it's own thread guess i could ask in here first.

07 saab 9-3 aero 2.0t engine.
maybe a week or 2 ago, when it was warm and sunny, i was getting a slight hesitation / stutter at low revs 1,5-2k rpm. This only happened when at operating temperature, most noticeably in 2nd gear when pulling away from lights, but also every so often at higher gears.
i have cleaned the MAF sensor at the weekend and it seems it's nearly gone. guess the next thing would be to clean the MAP sensor?!
anything else i should look at while i'm at it?

TIA

Associate

be very careful of ebay...once bought a mint door for a renault right colour etc and it was but when delivered all nicely wrapped with cardboard had 2 dents and a scratch accross the middle :( still used it because better than what was on but vowed to fetch anything like it in future just to check it.

Soldato
instead of creating it's own thread guess i could ask in here first.

07 saab 9-3 aero 2.0t engine.
maybe a week or 2 ago, when it was warm and sunny, i was getting a slight hesitation / stutter at low revs 1,5-2k rpm. This only happened when at operating temperature, most noticeably in 2nd gear when pulling away from lights, but also every so often at higher gears.
i have cleaned the MAF sensor at the weekend and it seems it's nearly gone. guess the next thing would be to clean the MAP sensor?!
anything else i should look at while i'm at it?

TIA

plugs and coil packs perhaps.

Soldato
be very careful of ebay...once bought a mint door for a renault right colour etc and it was but when delivered all nicely wrapped with cardboard had 2 dents and a scratch accross the middle :( still used it because better than what was on but vowed to fetch anything like it in future just to check it.

Agree, never get panels or glass couriered … also headlinings, which explains my next 200+ mile round trip.

Back
Top Bottom