What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Had the TC/ABS/DSC lights come on the M3 today. INPA said that it was rear right wheel speed sensor, and I could see all the other wheels reporting their speed correctly, whereas the O/S/R was constantly.showing "0.0km/h". So I whipped the wheel off and had a look. The first challenge was the stupid allen headed bolt holding the sensor in place. What moron thought it'd be a good idea to put a small allen headed bolt in a place that is that exposed to the elements? Naturally it was rusty and the allen key rounded straight away so I had to hammer a 9mm socket onto it and impact wrench it out. On looking at the sensor, it was clear that something had got in between it and the ABS ring because there was a big cut through the plastic.

I knew new speed sensors were £80 from BMW and £40 from an OEM supplier, but with something like this, I was happy to go used. eBay was my first port of call, and I quickly found a used Genuine BMW part for £12inc del and a new M5 15mm long allen bolt for £1. Not bad!

Soldato
CSL Reps arrived today!
kRoyk2s.jpg g6lOKLA.jpg

I've already ordered the OEM centre caps from Cotswolds, and looking to source the small inlay //M logo's.

Had the TC/ABS/DSC lights come on the M3 today. INPA said that it was rear right wheel speed sensor, and I could see all the other wheels reporting their speed correctly, whereas the O/S/R was constantly.showing "0.0km/h". So I whipped the wheel off and had a look. The first challenge was the stupid allen headed bolt holding the sensor in place. What moron thought it'd be a good idea to put a small allen headed bolt in a place that is that exposed to the elements? Naturally it was rusty and the allen key rounded straight away so I had to hammer a 9mm socket onto it and impact wrench it out. On looking at the sensor, it was clear that something had got in between it and the ABS ring because there was a big cut through the plastic.

I knew new speed sensors were £80 from BMW and £40 from an OEM supplier, but with something like this, I was happy to go used. eBay was my first port of call, and I quickly found a used Genuine BMW part for £12inc del and a new M5 15mm long allen bolt for £1. Not bad!
Nice! When I had a similar issue just after buying the car, it turned out to be the front tyres having the wrong rolling radii, so mismatched to the rear..

Bigg Red did a fine job with the premium black finish I opted for on my seized caliper refurb. Looking forward to installing them in coming weeks along with the Mintex M1144 and ATE typ 200 fluid. That'll be braking properly sorted for many years.

rps20170215_193805_063.jpg

£144 for that job, normal price for standard finish is £90. Strong pricing either way I have to say.

Looking very nice! will deffo do this if I ever get caliper issues!

Associate
Well, yesterday, used the halfords 15% glitch code to buy a socket to do the rear brake discs. Meant to be 15% but actually took £15 off the order price with no minimum spend...

Staff were quite confused why it cost nothing but honoured it...

Soldato
Started the car yesterday to find one of the headlights was out - pretty much a year to the day since I put night breakers on it and at least the third time I've put them in a car for them to last 12 months or less.

A set of Philips xtreme vision here now to swap over at about £20. The one advantage of replacing halogens vs xenon's I guess.

Also had to stump up close to £100 for the silly bit of fascia to suit the nav unit. Given how cheap the other versions are I was determined to find one used for less than half the price, but I guess it makes sense that most for sale only suit the standard head unit so ordered from the dealer

Soldato
I'm using the Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs these days too. I had two different sets of Osrams - Night Breaker Plus and Night Breaker Unlimiteds - neither lasted all that long for me. I do 30k+ miles a year so my bulbs are in use more than most but I still don't think I had more than 4 months out of either set of Osrams. The Philips Xtreme Vision 130% bulbs lasted me 18 months before one went which I didn't think was all that bad, hence I bought a replacement set of those.

Man of Honour
Fixed cigarette lighter so can now power phone.
And started changing front pads and disks, only got one side done, so will have to finish that off tomorrow.

Caporegime
I am not sure what has happened to turbotoasters thread about his elise (Maybe he deleted in shame) but this guy is just on another level. He has set up a crowdfunding page so he can compete in World Time Attack in Australia! :O. Running before you can walk is a total understatement here. Also his girlfriend is even having an open domestic over Facebook over the delusions.

F2261D89-1FA3-496E-A411-7896D9DA44D4_zpsglm8arrg.png

yA4wqYZ.jpg

IT HAS EVEN MORE AERO NOW!!!!!!!!

Caporegime
Electrocuted myself while working on the BMW by (I think) brushing a battery terminal with a socket wrench while undoing a spark plug. Lots of sparks and swearing. I disconnected both battery terminals before continuing. :D

Soldato
Has anyone had to renew car insurance recently?

Have mine coming up in a few days so been getting quotes and bartering with Admiral to get the prices down. Seems to be about £200+ more than it was last year, despite having no accidents, an extra year no claims etc. I have up'd the mileage + added business use though so that probably doesn't help.

Of course Admiral tried it on with the renewal notice, wanting over £1k for 10 months but managed to get them down to £850 for 12 months. Done a a compare the market.com quote and seems like I could go with esure for about £720 or hastings for about £785.

Associate

Have mine coming up in a few days so been getting quotes and bartering with Admiral to get the prices down. Seems to be about £200+ more than it was last year, despite having no accidents, an extra year no claims etc. I have up'd the mileage + added business use though so that probably doesn't help.

Of course Admiral tried it on with the renewal notice, wanting over £1k for 10 months but managed to get them down to £850 for 12 months. Done a a compare the market.com quote and seems like I could go with esure for about £720 or hastings for about £785.

Had mine this month, paid £800 last year on a multi car policy with Aviva. Their renewal came in at just under £2K. Ridiculous.

Went with admiral and got both insured for £765. What I don't understand is the quote changed from day to day sometimes.

Associate

Yep i had a shocking renewal from the Admiral recently too and didn't have much luck on the phone with them either, and same prices on confused.com etc too.. I ended up going getting a cracking price direct from Direct Line, remember they aren't on the comparison sites. Check out Aviva too.

Back
Top Bottom