what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Soldato
Treated myself to a pair of ZMF Atticus the other day and finally got round to building a SE adapter so I can use it with my Asgard, these are so nice so far

0e0d6161221c0c97b0466d86e11bfb34d4e77dc3_2_668x500.jpeg

Soldato
This topping DX3 Pro just keeps making my 1990's sound better and better. Very impressive little bit of kit for £150, especially with the features it has. Ample headroom for loud volumes, so got plenty power for driving the harder to drive stuff. :)

Man of Honour
Pleasantly surprised with my turtle beach 700 gen2s. Not quite as good as my DT990s, but strong in many areas for gaming and ready for the new Xbox. Effortless to setup and use with the app too.

Soldato
Was looking at this exact setup but can never find stock in the uk. Plus a bit more then I wanted to spend. Headphones are secondary listening for me over my speakers.

I managed to a find an
Marantz HD- DAC1
open box deal. For a tad over £300. Seem worth a punt.

I have one. Smooth as anything and power by the bucket load. Just turn up the Windows settings for the device settings to 32bit 19200Hz so it is unlocked and also on the DAC, set the display to go off when listening. It's amazing.

*edit* the weight of this beast will surprise you, the amp modules are trickled down from their top end hifi amps. Looks absolutely beautiful as well.

Associate
As you may already know i also own the marantz hd dac 1, and they drive my denon d7200.

Classy looking amp dac i agree.

He got a good deal £300 ish for the hd dac 1 which is quite a lot of equipment for the money.

Anyways i have my eyes peeled on the RME ADI-2 DAC FS one day i will buy that.

Dan.

Soldato
Well looks like the sale of the Dac1 has fallen through. Was off a seller on Amazon. Turns out they dont have stock. Only found out when I emailed asking why it wasnt showing as dipatched. Seller blaming Covid for stocking issues.

The hunt continues......

Soldato
Treated myself to a pair of ZMF Atticus the other day and finally got round to building a SE adapter so I can use it with my Asgard, these are so nice so far

0e0d6161221c0c97b0466d86e11bfb34d4e77dc3_2_668x500.jpeg
Got to admit they look lovely! I was really considering the Verite Closed at one point as my closed back headphones, love the way the ZMF headphones look.

Soldato
Settled on a Topping DX3 Pro in the end. Found it nicer to listen to then the G6. That was a touch to in your face. The DX3 sounds much more natural. Lovely and smooth but still plenty of detail. I prefer the form factor as well.

I did look at the DX7 pro and various Schit options like mentioned a page or so ago. But was getting into the range of more than double what the headphones cost.

if I ever go up a tier in the headphones I’ll do the same with the amp. Would love to try some Focal cans at some point. I love the pair of Focal Aria 906 I use on my stereo setup.

Soldato
Added a pair of Denon AH-D7200 to the collection - out of the box these things are amazing (they look it too), smooth extended highs, lush mids and extended and textured bass, or rather BASS!
There's a lovely balance to these, which is shown by the almost flat frequency response all the way down to 20Hz, these things have some real slam.
My Beyer DT1990's and Senn HD650's are going to have to fight hard for any head time from now on, the DT1990's are renowned for their bass but the Denons are in another class altogether :o

Associate
Atticus is a good match with Crack. Try it without the speedball at first, don't get me wrong the upgrade is better but the Tone and smoothness really helps that 6k energy in the Atticus, slap some NOS Mullard on it and it's a blast. Not the most technical amp but for fun, can't beat it.

Got to try the Philips X3 last week..load of *****.

I like the D7200, much better rebound from the D7100.

Soldato
Yeah I can’t wait to try it out, just waiting on bottlehead shipping out my kit really. Been talking to someone who also owns a crack and Atticus recently about it, he’s been going through a load of different tubes on the bhc and reporting his findings.

Associate
When it comes to tube rolling, try not to fall ino that trap because before you know it, you've spent 1000's on tube when it could have gone to a better amp like the Sonnet, WA6SE etc.

As a general rule, Russians for a leaner sound.

Orange globes for slight warmth with some treble etch.

Mullards for a more old school sound, I like Mullards to fill in the mids a little on Atticus.

I've tried lots of unbranded NOS stuff all changes are subtle however so as long it it fits your needs, enjoy it!

If you've got a pair of 650's sounds even better, the ultra smooth treble and vocal section sounds amazing through the crack. Both compliment eachother well out of a good tube set up.

Soldato
When it comes to tube rolling, try not to fall ino that trap because before you know it, you've spent 1000's on tube when it could have gone to a better amp like the Sonnet, WA6SE etc.

As a general rule, Russians for a leaner sound.

Orange globes for slight warmth with some treble etch.

Mullards for a more old school sound, I like Mullards to fill in the mids a little on Atticus.

I've tried lots of unbranded NOS stuff all changes are subtle however so as long it it fits your needs, enjoy it!

If you've got a pair of 650's sounds even better, the ultra smooth treble and vocal section sounds amazing through the crack. Both compliment eachother well out of a good tube set up.

Yeah I might go for a few different pairs but won’t go too crazy on it, I’d rather invest the money into upgrading to a bifrost 2.
I’ve got hd650s and dt880/990 600 ohms too so I’ll have a few good headphones for tubes.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
What are people using for dac and headphone amps.

really enjoying my HD600s but it’s got me wondering if I could squeeze a bit more out of them then the G6 is capable of.

I just recently upgraded the NAD D 7050 to the D 3045 and have to say I'm impressed not only for the headphones output power but the speakers too. It has a dedicated headphones amp capable of driving 600ohms with ease and I've found it to be able to drive the HD650s (300ohms) to the same volume level at -25dB that the D 7050 could only manage at -10dB which is a substantial improvement. Likewise the speakers have much richer bass kick which no loss in detail.

For £499 this is an all in one DAC/amp that I really really like and nice to see NAD has addressed some quality issues with the material finishing from the 7050 and generation with both the unit and the remmote which is actually now quite useful.

Another useful feature is the bluetooth aptx-hd transmit feature from any wired input source. Can BT to my IEMs in the next room etc when I'm working on something else. A feature I never thought I'd use but actually it's kind of handy/neat.

For anyone with 650s, I can definitely recommend a pad upgrade to the Dekoni Velour memory foam. These are slightly deeper than the stock pads and the memory foam isolates and channels a sweeter lower end response. Had them in for over a year now and have not looked back. I've owned the HD650s for several years for the sake of reference. Far as my listening goes, these are end game for me especially now with the 3045 powering them as I was considering a dedicated HP amp at one point just for a bit more volume since they are harder to drive cans but certainly not any more.

Back
Top Bottom