What is it with this forum, and thread de-railers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
fatiain said:
Hey Jasper, how's the non smoking going?

it was going great til wednesday. then i thought i got stressed at work and got weak. i'm getting people to send me pictures of lung/larynx/mouth/throat cancer so that i can make a desktop and deter myself from smoking. it's much harder this time round :(

manor said:
He's not gonna have time mate - he's with his new bird this weekend.

quiet you!! i always have time for everything...new bird regardless! :p

basmic said:
I am the reader, and if I can't enjoy reading a thread because of an outburst of off-topic posts, then it affects me.

It's all very well everybody being "chatty and friendly". But I feel the derailments spoil that atmosphere.

fair enough...but the only reason this stuff happens is because people establish a rappor with others on here, and any little thing in an on topic post can spark a conversation on another topic. i try not to let this effect my life too much. notice that i'm also trying to keep this thread from derailment :p

Permabanned
OP
Sic said:
fair enough...but the only reason this stuff happens is because people establish a rappor with others on here, and any little thing in an on topic post can spark a conversation on another topic. i try not to let this effect my life too much. notice that i'm also trying to keep this thread from derailment :p
I can see your point, and I take it onboard. But sometimes it gets a little stupid.

Thanks for trying to keep this thread from derailment. I suspect it is doomed to do so TBH, followed by the Moderator's pick-proof padlock. :(

Soldato
The topics on these forums are like what goes on in real life, someone mentions something in a conversation which reminds someone of something else, and sparks off another topic of conversation.

I don't really see what the problem is, as quite often I find the offtopic posts can be interesting or informative, despite not being closely linked to the topic. If not, it usual heads back to what it started about anyway as other people come on later in the day.

The two examples you posted, i wouldn't have said were de-railing a thread, they were just random posts which didn't contribute anything to the topic.

Last edited:

Sic

Sic

Soldato
basmic said:
I can see your point, and I take it onboard. But sometimes it gets a little stupid.

Thanks for trying to keep this thread from derailment. I suspect it is doomed to do so TBH, followed by the Moderator's pick-proof padlock. :(

to be honest, you should've expected little less. we've got some right comedians on here as it is. i know im guilty of thread derailment quite a lot. i didnt realise it bothered that many people.

in all seriousness, it'd be interesting to get a poll attached to this thread. "does thread derailment bother you?" seeing as it's your thread, it's your call, but i'd like to see that :)

Commissario
I must admit it can be annoying when a thread heads off into the wild blue yonder, but I haven't noticed it increasing that much in GD recently.

I am however starting to wish I had a shotgun so I could go owl hunting at times (it's starting to get amost as bad as "all your base are belong to us").

Permabanned
OP
Sic said:
to be honest, you should've expected little less. we've got some right comedians on here as it is. i know im guilty of thread derailment quite a lot. i didnt realise it bothered that many people.

in all seriousness, it'd be interesting to get a poll attached to this thread. "does thread derailment bother you?" seeing as it's your thread, it's your call, but i'd like to see that :)
Well I'll tell you what, if one of Moderators are willing to do so, could they put a poll on this thread:
Do thread derailments annoy you? a) Yay -or- b) Nay
Werewolf said:
I am however starting to wish I had a shotgun so I could go owl hunting at times (it's starting to get amost as bad as "all your base are belong to us").
If you happen to shoot a nice white owl, I'll pay for it and I'll get it stuffed at the Taxidermist. :D:cool:

Soldato
Incidently, my interview yesterday went well enough for me to be sucessful :D :D
All in all, a stressful day yesterday turned out to be a friday/sat filled with good news come midday today.
:D
(I wasny going to start a thread for little old me, so this thread will do for my happiness!)

Man of Honour
Werewolf said:
Aye - at least the 'all your base are belong to us' had a decent historical foundation :(

Caporegime
basmic said:
I've seen quite a few threads, particulary in the last week, where people are posting stupid pictures totally irrelevant to the topic, or just posting them for the sake of it.

Example 1 - What is the point in posting a picture of a draughts board? All it did in this case, was temporarily derail the thread.

Example 2 - Never heard of email? All Piggymon need to have done was search for any post by Von Smallhausen, and look at their trust and/or profile.

And that's just in one thread. A rummage around GD, will reveal people posting stupid O RLY pictures, and such-like.

So come on...tell me...why do they/you do it? I'm dying to know.

No doubt this thread will become a breeding ground for such pictures. If so, then the doing so will only strengthen my point.

Do you ever stop moaning and whining like a little girl???:p...seriously it cant bother you that much that you have to make a thread solely for it???. If so then i suggest you step outside and take a deep breath of the lovely cold bitter winter air :D.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Pickers said:
Incidently, my interview yesterday went well enough for me to be sucessful :D :D
All in all, a stressful day yesterday turned out to be a friday/sat filled with good news come midday today.
:D
(I wasny going to start a thread for little old me, so this thread will do for my happiness!)

you can use my thread if you want. it's a veritable stockpile of happiness :p

fatiain said:
Says you who's got all the o rly owls archived :D

lmao...frenchie makes an excellent point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom