• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What is OV Max limit in MSI afterburner

Associate
Hi

What is OV Max limit i MSI afterburner.

I've read on what i can find on the internet that it's Over volt Max limit and as i understand it is the MAX? amount of over volt the graphics can deliver?.

But I cannot understand how it works because of the following.

I've been trying to Overclock my Nvidia 1080. and started with oc'ing the GPU and reached about 2100 MHz. But running it there for extended period of time, well after my graphics reaches 52C i hits the OV Max Limit and clocks down to 2088 MHz.

But here is the odd part. If i Clock my graphics to just run at 2088 MHz when it reaches 53C again and raises the OV Max limit it clocks my card down to 2064 MHz and and again if i set my graphics to 2050 MHz it jumps down to 2033 MHz when hitting the OV Max limit.

Its that odd behavior I cannot understand.

Right now I run my graphics with 2050/5400 where it clocks it down to 2033/5400. but its the point where i get the most out of my graphics.

NOTE: No other limits is hit not the power limit nor the temp limit. my card runs at 55C at the above oc speed.

a side question: when i Tried to OC my graphics memory (without the GPU Oc) i hit an upper limit of 5643 MHz. I couldn't push it any further and no limiter was hit.

Regards Ephreal

Soldato
Hi

What is OV Max limit i MSI afterburner.

I've read on what i can find on the internet that it's Over volt Max limit and as i understand it is the MAX? amount of over volt the graphics can deliver?.

But I cannot understand how it works because of the following.

I've been trying to Overclock my Nvidia 1080. and started with oc'ing the GPU and reached about 2100 MHz. But running it there for extended period of time, well after my graphics reaches 52C i hits the OV Max Limit and clocks down to 2088 MHz.

But here is the odd part. If i Clock my graphics to just run at 2088 MHz when it reaches 53C again and raises the OV Max limit it clocks my card down to 2064 MHz and and again if i set my graphics to 2050 MHz it jumps down to 2033 MHz when hitting the OV Max limit.

Its that odd behavior I cannot understand.

Right now I run my graphics with 2050/5400 where it clocks it down to 2033/5400. but its the point where i get the most out of my graphics.

NOTE: No other limits is hit not the power limit nor the temp limit. my card runs at 55C at the above oc speed.

a side question: when i Tried to OC my graphics memory (without the GPU Oc) i hit an upper limit of 5643 MHz. I couldn't push it any further and no limiter was hit.

Regards Ephreal

The best way to overclock the Pascal cards is with the Boost 3.0 curve from MSI AB

Soldato
I would say what your seeing is the effects of GPU boost 3. Which will drop a voltage step mainly as per gpu temperature but voltage and power limit will affect it too.

It will do it regardless of how high your overclock is.

There is nothing you can do here as it will do it every 10c. 32,42,52,62,72 etc etc.

Man of Honour
Pascal cards (depending a bit on how you overclock if setting manually) will downclock for a variety of reasons including voltage, temperature, utilisation and power limit (design of the board). In my experience a small voltage bump seems often to be as good as a bigger one.

Associate
OP
The best way to overclock the Pascal cards is with the Boost 3.0 curve from MSI AB

I thought Boost 3.0 only worked on MSI cards. Mine is not.

I would say what your seeing is the effects of GPU boost 3. Which will drop a voltage step mainly as per gpu temperature but voltage and power limit will affect it too.

It will do it regardless of how high your overclock is.

There is nothing you can do here as it will do it every 10c. 32,42,52,62,72 etc etc.

Pascal cards (depending a bit on how you overclock if setting manually) will downclock for a variety of reasons including voltage, temperature, utilisation and power limit (design of the board). In my experience a small voltage bump seems often to be as good as a bigger one.

I know that the cards drops MHz due to voltage heat ect. thats also fine. But what I do not understand is when I clock my GPU to 2100MHz it drops to 2088. but when clocking it to 2050 it drops to 2034. Why.... ?
why wouldn't it drop to 2034 regardless of my overclock if that is the region where its safe. or again why cant it stay on 2050 when it only drops to 2088 after clocking it to 2100?

Also is there a way to removed the OV Max limit ?

Soldato
I thought Boost 3.0 only worked on MSI cards. Mine is not.

Boost 3.0 is an nvidia pascal technology and therefore is built into every 10 series GPU regardless of vendor.

Regards to your next comment, as I said it will drop a voltage step regardless of overclock. You could remove the overclock entirely and let it naturally boost to say 1970mhz. It will still drop once it gets to a certain temp, it's how boost 3 works.

Associate
OP
Boost 3.0 is an nvidia pascal technology and therefore is built into every 10 series GPU regardless of vendor.

Regards to your next comment, as I said it will drop a voltage step regardless of overclock. You could remove the overclock entirely and let it naturally boost to say 1970mhz. It will still drop once it gets to a certain temp, it's how boost 3 works.

So to understand what your saying is that.
If I overclock to 2100 MHz it might used 1.10 Volt and then it drops the voltage to 1.0 V when it hits lets say 53 C.
And if I OC to 2050 MHz and it uses 0.9 V to achieve this.
It still drops 0.10 V IE from 0.9 V to 0.8 V when hitting the 53 C threshold and in turn reducing the core speed from 2050 to 2034 MHz.
So the the drop in voltage is only based on temperature and not on either clock speed nor on current voltage settings.
That would explain what I'm seeing.
Please note that my card do not get any hotter than 56 C and it only ever clocks down once from either 2050 to 2034 or 2100 to 2088.

Now how do I circumvent this ? I'm not hitting Power Limit or Temp limit.

Soldato
So to understand what your saying is that.
If I overclock to 2100 MHz it might used 1.10 Volt and then it drops the voltage to 1.0 V when it hits lets say 53 C.
And if I OC to 2050 MHz and it uses 0.9 V to achieve this.
It still drops 0.10 V IE from 0.9 V to 0.8 V when hitting the 53 C threshold and in turn reducing the core speed from 2050 to 2034 MHz.
So the the drop in voltage is only based on temperature and not on either clock speed nor on current voltage settings.
That would explain what I'm seeing.
Please note that my card do not get any hotter than 56 C and it only ever clocks down once from either 2050 to 2034 or 2100 to 2088.

Now how do I circumvent this ? I'm not hitting Power Limit or Temp limit.

Depends. As wrote earlier best overclock can be achieved with the boost 3.0 curve. It will be less depending on power but thermal only.

My water cooler 1080 could hit 2190 24/7 with temps around 35C while benching with a predator 360. If I had better cooling and kept temps bellow 32C 2200 was achievable.

When I was using the normal linear curve the sliders generate, my max of was 2100 with throttling similar to yours.

Associate
OP
Depends. As wrote earlier best overclock can be achieved with the boost 3.0 curve. It will be less depending on power but thermal only.

My water cooler 1080 could hit 2190 24/7 with temps around 35C while benching with a predator 360. If I had better cooling and kept temps bellow 32C 2200 was achievable.

When I was using the normal linear curve the sliders generate, my max of was 2100 with throttling similar to yours.

ok.

What is your memory clocked at ? .. Regardless of what if do I cannot get above 5643 MHz (and I'm not seeing artifacts at this speed)

Soldato
ok.

What is your memory clocked at ? .. Regardless of what if do I cannot get above 5643 MHz (and I'm not seeing artifacts at this speed)

It depends on the memory quality I guess. The vast majority will do 5500 but I've known a few people get more and some less.

Both my 1080's did 5550 I think when I had them.

Make sure to bench at 5500 and what your running now as it can have a detrimental effect on performance after certain speed.

Soldato
ok.

5524, hadn't really pushed it that far tbh. And depends if you have the old or the new faster VRAM card.

You can find my benchmark results in this forum on Firestrike standard, extreme and Spy.
It still holds a year later, the best GTX1080 Graphics score (not overall due to slow CPU) for FS Standard 25630, Extreme 12075 and second on Spy 8349 (got beaten by a 11Gps GTX1080).

If Vega is lemon, I will put my hands on a GTX1080Ti and give it a spin :) It will be interested to see how it performs with a Threadripper 16 core :D

Boost 3.0 isn't that difficult to master if you spent couple of hours trying to find your aircooled GPU how it will behave.
First raise your card to the best you can overclock it right now. Imho make an aggressive fan curve, and raise the voltage and power limit sliders.
Then open the boost 3.0

The 1.093v mark is your top speed marker regardless, to the right set all the speeds the same also. (all Pascal cards are limited to 1.093v regardless)

Next two power points to the left should be 12mhz less than the top speed.
Next power point should be 12mhz lower than the previous two.
Next two power points should be 12mhz lower than above
Next power point should be 12mhz lower than previously.
leave the rest alone for the time being.

You do not have to burn the card with combustion and such crap. Run 1 Spy and 1 FS Extreme.
If it runs fine without artefacts and crashes, continue.

First overclock your GPU core, and when you are happy, when overclock the RAM.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi

Sorry for the absence. I've ried your approach and seems to be working. have a stable run @2088/5550. however is there anyway to unlock the 1093v limit. ? I have plenty of headroom in my temperature. I've read some about the OV hack but i cant seem to find anything concrete. Not this is not the power limit hack.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom