1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between these two drives please?

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by Oswald, 30 May 2006.

1. Oswald

Associate

Hi :)

What is the difference between these two Maxtor drives in the Overclockers catalogue:

Maxtor MaxLine III NCQ 300GB 7V300F0 SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-096-MD) £75.14 Including VAT

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 300GB 6V300F0 SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-089-MD) £72.79 Including VAT

Being new to this, I can't see which one is better (the difference in price is negligable). Could you please explain the reasoning behind your recommendations please, as I know very little about this stuff :(

Also, Am I right in thinking that you should put your operating system on one drive, and have a seperate drive for (in my case) video files that are to be edited/encoded etc? Which drive do you use for games, and which one for storage such as music/photos etc?

Thanks in advance :)

2. smids

Soldato

Maxline comes with a 5 year warranty and supposed to be their server class drive therefore being more reliable etc. Personally, I don't buy maxtors though.

Have you had a look at the Seagate 7200.10 320GB drive as this would be my recommended choice - 5 year warranty as standard. Seagates are also renowned for being the most reliable drives around.

3. Oswald

Associate

Thanks for your help!

I will check out the Seagate in the catalog section.

Cheers

4. killer_uk

OcUK Staff

Yeah, go for the seagate, I've only ever had one hard drive stop working - and it was a maxtor.

5. humax

Wise Guy

i second that. get a Seagate 7200.10 320GB drive .i got one last week and there very fast :D

6. Alexrose1uk

Sgarrista

Seagates, Hitachi and Samsung are my faves due to reputation and personal experience.