What is the most impressive game you know of?

Associate
Lanz said:
Strike Commander was the dogs, i think that was before Wing Commander, I remember the advert, it runs best on a `Intel 486DX2" This was when everyone had 386dx's or a 486sx 25mhz if you was rich :)

Nah Falcon and F15 III was where the really pilots were at in those days. Remember LHX?

Soldato
OP
Bloody hell... I didnt expect so many people to get into this one.

Named some gorgeous games there.

My first forray into the 3D World as we know it today, was UnReal Tournament on a P200MMX & Maxi-Gamer 3D ( Voodoo 1 )

My god, I was blown away by that.

Before that was Wolfenstein and AvP on the Atari Jaguar.

Back then, games were much more immersive... Youused your mind a lot more to fill in the details than you do now, with todays graphics... Much like a book can be so much better than a film.

And while Doom3 certainly made me feel a little like a baby in some places, the older ones made me jump.

I suppose these days its gettingso that we have seen it all and they are losing the edge in many ways

Who has played Doom64 on the N64? - Those of you who have, I think its level 13, but cant be 100% on this, but in the background, is slow gothic horror music, and rolling thunder sounds, and lightning flashes, but the one thing that has given me nightmares, is that in the background you can hear babies crying... Sick!

Also, have to hand it to FarCry... At first I wasnt all that impressed with it to be honest, basing my main games on UnReal / Tourney / Doom / Quake, and then going to FarCry, its a completely different way of playing... This was somethign that I didnt like at first, but then it all became natural and the game was just sweet after that.

However, OTTOMH I cannot point out a particular point in FarCry that really did it for me... Not really. not somethign that hit me like it did with HL2 etc, nor can I say anythign for Halo actually, but both those games are still great games for me, I have only played them the once, and I am deliberately holding back on another run through them in case I end up doing what I have done with Quake 1 + 2 and I just play those now just to see how fast I can finish them.... Quake 1 in way under half an hour, and Quake 2 in under 4 hours. Now thats sad, and I dont want to ruin these like that.

Although admittedly, I got UnReal after UnReal 2, and I have never finished UnReal, so thast spolit it for me, I have finished UnReal 2 6 times now.

I am currently working on a walk through for a friend in HL2, grabbing screenies every few seconds which is irritating, btu its also showing me where I can improve my own game too!

Right, thats it.

Soldato
HangTime said:
Interesting to see a few people mention Omaha Beach in MOHAA here, IMO MOHPA betters this with it's beach landing sequence (even more chaotic) and also the very intense Pearl Harbour "introductuary" level.

Agreed....Opening of MOH:pA was excellent, it betters MOH:AA i reckon......Not overall as a game but opening sequence :)

Lanz said:
Strike Commander was the dogs, i think that was before Wing Commander, I remember the advert, it runs best on a `Intel 486DX2" This was when everyone had 386dx's or a 486sx 25mhz if you was rich

Awesome game..... Had it on my 486DX2 66mhz.......I actually still have it with the Expansion pack......Doubt it would work under XP thou :o

Associate
Lanz said:
Strike Commander was the dogs, i think that was before Wing Commander, I remember the advert, it runs best on a `Intel 486DX2" This was when everyone had 386dx's or a 486sx 25mhz if you was rich :)
Yeah, Strike Commander was a cracking game as well -- I think it used an ealier version of Wing Commander 3 engine (IIRC, Realspace?).

I can recall a lot of demanding games from about 1994-1996 used to have a little Intel logo on the box somewhere with the tagline "Runs even better on a Pentium processor," which was mostly true during the time. It was only from about 1996 or so when the first 3D accelerators (Voodoo 1, PowerVR PCx, Riva 128, etc) started to appear and the AMD K6-2/-3 emerged at decent speeds that there was anything close to an alternative. Intel's hegemony on the gaming market was only broken with the arrival of the Athlon in 1999.

Cheers,

BrynS

Soldato
HangTime said:
Forsaken simply for outrageously good (if slightly over the top) visuals
Still got it boxed up here :) I agree it was an awesome eye candy fest, almost as good as the first Unreal. Volumetric fog, Viscousity effects, lens flare it was enough to make you go blind! Was a great demonstration of modern day 3d cards though :) I always preferred Descent due to its incredible enemy AI.

Suspended
Goldeneye N64 - the SP was solid, but the MP fantastic

as for scenes in games that i can remember

bar the HL1, COD, MOHAA stuff that has been mentioned

i think being involved in a 60 player battle in Planetside was intense, the game may not be up to par - but ragging through enemy lines in a tank thing (6 of us on TS) was just hilarious and i lost about 4 hours of my life that night, in a non stop battle for a piece of graphical land........

Man of Honour
The introduction to Panzer Dragoon on the Sega Saturn, which I first saw in 1995 but I believe was released in 1994 shortly after the console, was unlike anything I had previously seen on a games console or computer.

Going back to the very early nineties, the Golden Axe and Moonwalker arcade games were stunning too.

Going back further, Afterburner was rather impressive too.

Soldato
Vote for Deus Ex again here :)

I was in awe of the depth of it - the way you could read newspapers in the street to pick up extra backstory, the feeling that things were happening "off screen", the way choices you made effected the storyline (I had no idea till the 3rd time round that you could save Paul!)...just fantastic piece of gaming, one of my all time favourites....

And Mafia...so underrated, so brilliant. From the intro, to one of the most fantastic endings for a game ever, I was hooked...loved the shootout in the parking lot especially...

Associate
orioles said:
Goldeneye N64 - the SP was solid, but the MP fantastic

I LOVED that game, getting all my m8s round and having 4 player rampages. Great fun, probably the first time i'd played a multiplayer game properly.

Going back further, Afterburner was rather impressive too

Ah, i remember this game. Think i played it on the mega drive or master system.Cant really say much more on afterburner because i can hardly remember it! So many games that i keep forgetting and reminded of in these threads. Great games, great memories :cool:

Soldato
1)The first Tomb Raider was sheer brilliance. I'd never seen 3D movement like that before. Doing the tutorial in Lara's Mansion made me think "If this is great, what's the actual game going to be like?"

2)The atmosphere of the first Resident Evil. Crikey!

3)Crapping myself playing AVP.

4)Kosovo level in Rogue Spear

5)Soul Reaver on Playstation. I've never been so immersed in a game.

Soldato
The other day on Battlefield 2:

Me and this other guy were fighting to hold the postion. Me this other guy adn a few mroe were holding the possiton whilst the enemy kept on coming. there were 2 medics....me and this other guy, I noticed how he played and he picked up on what was going on. The enemy were coming and we were all shooting......everyone died apart from me so I got down and medded everyone.......they all spawed......i got up again and the enemy were quite close at this point so i was firing away, meanwhile the others were getting shot and the other medic was medding them. I rean out of m16 ammo so i switched to pistol.........as soon as i ran out of that.....i got down to reload and the other guy got up adn started shootin............so i reloaded both weapons and meded the people. We kept on doing this but the numbers were falling untill it got to the point of just me and this guy. We were still doing the same thing........then he died and didnt get medded (im slow) so it was just me holding to position now........ and there were a lot of them so i got up and was fighting and sometimes i had to knife because i was out of ammo........i was switching between the gun packs on the floor to have ammo etc............and i managed to keep the position till the end:)

Now thats a long storey

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Alien vs Predator, walking down a pitch black corrridor,then all you hear is the bepping of the motion detector of something getting closer :eek:

i havnt played a game since that has manage to create such an atmosphere, best bit the first time you run into a face hugger ;)

Soldato
FFVII for me. First time out of midgar (is it midgar wow if i remembered that lol) and your in the open world. Oh such fun times........ The story actually the whole game at the time was just pure class.

Associate
HangTime said:
For me I'd have to say Unreal starts of fantastically; first off you are onboard Vortex Rikers, taking in the audio and visual treats such as reflective surfaces, hearing someone get massacred behind a closed door etc. Then on the second level you step outside the spaceship, the jaw drops to the floor as you see the scale of the Unreal engine, with a huge open 3d area in front of you. And then of course the 3rd level, when you reach a deadend, the lights start going off one-by-one, you run back and find your retreat blocked, until it all goes black and you meet your first Skaarj. Fantastic.

Same here, Unreal wins for me.

I remember firing it up on my voodoo 2 sli's...the moment I stepped out of the spaceship I just couldn't believe how damn huge the game was! Such an amazing game, and was sooo long! Only wish they could make another.

Man of Honour
Oh, you can add Shenmue to my list as well. Fantastically beautiful game, so many genre's mixed into one, and it worked so well. You could follow people around and see them going about their business. One of the few games I regret never completing, though I always tell myself I'll do it one day.

Back
Top Bottom