What is the scariest thing that's happened to you?

Soldato
Having a baby in 25 minutes from start to finish put me into shock for a couple of days.

Also being in a weeny village in a power cut in the middle of the night (everything pitch black) during a biiig thunder storm. I was only about 5 and I was calling for my dad. Big flash of lightening and there he was stood at the end of my bed, I hadnt heard him come in. Im still not happy in the dark!

Middle daughter having to spend some time in Great Ormond Street when she was a baby. I'd have sold my soul to the devil the day of the op if he'd have only answered the phone!

Soldato
Seeing a friend of mine get knocked down by a car wasn't pleasant. She was knocked clean out of her trainers, and they remained in the road where she was hit... that was pretty scary.

Getting my fingers trapped in a car boot wasn't nice either, if just for shock value.

Seeing a mate crack his head open on some french windows was pretty grim.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Spinning and then crashing my old car at well over 100mph. I actually thought i was going to die when i first lost control. No idea how i came out with nothing but a stiff neck.

Soldato
Was 13 at the time I think, was riding downhill a steep hill with my mountain bike, I see something on the road, thought cool, i'll crush that puny little tree branch. Turns out it was a big nasty stone which, to make things worse, didn't budge when I hit it (was going well over 35km/h at the time) - result, front wheel takes off, bike does a 180, I fall on the side, and on one knee slide down a further few metres. Result - skin torn down to the bone almost, couldn't walk for a week, still have the scars. Yuck. Haven't been on a bicycle since.

Associate
There have been several moments with baby Tiggy that have been truly petrifying. The worst of which I cant bring myself to post about.

The 2 that stick out in my mind most are.... WHen she had started to crawl and I was emptying the fluff tray on the tumble drier, some of it dropped on the floor and she picked it up and tried to swallow it. It was obstructing her airway, cue mummy's first aid training coming in very handy.

And then there's the time she was running a monster temperature and she was screaming one minute and then just passed out. I was on the phone to the out of hours gp at the time, but because she came round within moments he said to just monitor her.

Right now, I'm waiting for some test results from the hospital and I'm really scared about that.

Soldato
Zefan said:
You were in a car right? It's just I can imagine a bin bag or some sort of twisted improvised sled.

LOL Yes I was driving a car :p

I had only passed my test by a couple of months and hadn't driven in snow before :( Started to brake coming to Billy Mill (a major roundabout) and skidded for what felt forever! Stopped just a few feet from a lorry and I've been really careful in the snow ever since :(

Permabanned
Otacon said:
Seeing a friend of mine get knocked down by a car wasn't pleasant. She was knocked clean out of her trainers, and they remained in the road where she was hit... that was pretty scary.

Getting my fingers trapped in a car boot wasn't nice either, if just for shock value.

Seeing a mate crack his head open on some french windows was pretty grim.

:eek:

Are you cursed or something?

Soldato
The scariest thing recently was hearing my partner fall down the stairs.. luckily she wasn't hurt (just arms a bit grazed)...

Macca

Soldato
Otacon said:
Wanna be my fwend?

You looking for another "special" friend?

Camp.gif

:D

Man of Honour
Oh, there was one a bit back when the carpet came away from the top of the stairs and my mum fell down them and hit the wall at the bottom. Fractured/broke her arm and wrist in about 15 places.

She passed out from the pain while on the phone to my auntie and I drove back to take her to the hospital. Its awful when parents are hurt.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Gilly said:
Its awful when parents are hurt.
Indeed :/
Mine wasn't just one moment but about 3 years ago in the autumn it was very iffy about what was wrong with my Dad and there were a lot of concerns he had stomach cancer, turned out the medication he was on for arthritis was eating away at his stomach lining, but it was still a scary time for a while because we just had no idea.
Probably if I could remember when my Dad collapsed on a beach in Cornwall and 'died' for 2 minutes, that would have been the most scary moment but I was only 3 so can't remember it.

Man of Honour
Nothing instantly comes to mind as completely terrifying (I don't scare easily at the time, more after the fact when I go over it in my mind), but 2 things stick in my head.

The first one happened this Sunday night. Was doing my usual late night drive to Leeds from Liverpool after spending the weekend with Lynnie. I've driven it hundreds of times, so know the roads like the back of my hand. Came off the M62 at Junc 27 onto the M621, and there's a long sweeping right hand bend. Now I now exactly how fast I can take the bend, and was going at that speed. Unfortunately however, I misjudged the road conditions which were very slippy and greasy. My back end stepped out, and instead of doing the right thing (coming off the gas and counter steering), I did the wrong thing (held the turn and touched the brakes to slow down). Cue my back end whipping completely out, going sideways onto the grass verge, and ending up with my car pointing the way I'd just come from. I remember not being scared at all while it was happening, instead watching very calmly where I was going and waiting for the car to stop. I imagine if I'd seen a wall or tree in my path, my reaction may have been somewhat different. Thankfully there were no other cars around (it was 3am), and I was completely injury free (bar my pride). The car was a slightly different story. Both front tyres need replacing, and a suspension arm is bent. I think I've gotten off lightly considering what could have happened had someone been around, or I'd hit something solid.

The other scary thing wasn't scary at all when it happened. When playing cricket a couple of years ago, I was batting and took a ball to the head, on my temple just above my right eye. This split my head open slightly, and knocked my silly for a few moments. The ambulance came and I went to hospital to get it checked out. I was fine in the end, and had the cut glued back together again. What scared me afterwards however, was thinking about what would have happened had the ball hit me elsewhere. 1 inch lower and I'd have broken my eye socket. 1 inch lower than that, and I've broken my cheekbone. 2 inches lower than that, and I've probably broken my jaw. I was always a bit more wary when playing cricket after that, though I never let it stop me. I just duck faster now :D

Soldato
Gilly said:
Its awful when parents are hurt.

That's true - the skid was what happened to me directly but not the scariest of my life.

That probably was when my Dad had his first heart-attack and he was "dead" for a little while in the ambulance. The whole day was terrifying but I had no choice to get on with things - took 8 hours for someone to call me and let me know he lived :(

Associate
My dad attacking me, has to be the scariest moment. I then walked up a main road at half ten at night to go to my friends house, to escape him. :(

Then the realisation that the person I love will never love me the way I love him. :(

Back
Top Bottom