What is the scariest thing that's happened to you?

Soldato
Attending a dance festival, me and a few mates went onto a VR machine and my friend having a fit :/

None of us were quite with it so the whole experience was heightened and felt 10 times worse than what it was

He was fine afterwards but at the time I honestly thought he was going to die and it still sends shivers down my spine :(

Soldato
Nothing as bad as some of the things mentioned in this thread has happened to me, but then again i'm only 17 so there's still time yet :eek: :(

One thing that springs to mind though was when I was out doing some trials bike riding, I hopped over a grate in the ground only my rear break failed upon landing causing my weight to shift too far back so I went over, feet didn't really come off the pedals in time as I wasn't suspecting to go over, I landed smack on my back, i'm a heavy lad, and it proper knocked the wind out of me. First time i've ever been winded, although at the time I had no idea that's what'd happened to me! lol Probably because I was shocked, but I couldn't breathe at all and thought i'd injured myself, I stagged into the petrol station next to where I was riding trying to say 'I can't breathe', they thought I was joking and started laughing =-/

Oh can't believe i'd forgotton about this lol I was at Leeds Festival last year and I was setting up my stove with a fresh fuel cell canister, for some reason as I was connecting it part of the attachment piereced the canister causing the liquid to spray out, unfortunately catching light on another fire nearby, causing the fuel cell to act as a mini flamethrower all up my front, burnt half of the door of our tent in and set me abalze for a couple of seconds, I rolled over a bin bag which melted on me too. That was pretty scary for a few seconds although looking back I should have done it well away from any other sources of ignition.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Pebbles said:
Blimey G|mp!! That sounds terrifying!

Funnily enough it wasent at the time

It was only when we got back to the beach and my gf was in shock and going
a funny kinda purpley blue that it hit me what happened

The paramedics kept fussing me and asking if i was ok but i was more concerned
with the fact my gf looked like terrible completley drained and blue from the cold

I was cold and wet but i just wanted a fag as mine had got wet

It was only when we got home that it all sunk in and my mrs spent all
night crying :(

Caporegime
I once pulled out too fast at a crossroads, without really looking, and hit a big Renault or something (which I still believe were speeding themselves, but no matter). The impact sent their car across the other carriageway of the road, up the kerb, over a tree and into someone's garden wall. I honestly thought I'd killed them, and was incredibly relieved to have two older gentlemen step out of the car and start giving me the third degree.

Tangentially, seeing all this talk of exes, here's a random story along the scary/embarrassing lines...

A girlfriend and I once had a bit of a go at taking some less than innocent pictures of her on a Polaroid camera. I hung onto the pics until we broke up, at which point they reverted to her possession. She kept them in a shoebox full of a whole bunch of other stuff to do with me. Long story short, her mum found them, had a chat with her daughter and then insisted they be destroyed. I still see my ex and her parents from time to time, and every time I see my ex's mum I can't help but think of that, and what she's seen :eek:

Soldato
vonhelmet said:
I once pulled out too fast at a crossroads, without really looking, and hit a big Renault or something (which I still believe were speeding themselves, but no matter). The impact sent their car across the other carriageway of the road, up the kerb, over a tree and into someone's garden wall. I honestly thought I'd killed them, and was incredibly relieved to have two older gentlemen step out of the car and start giving me the third degree.

Tangentially, seeing all this talk of exes, here's a random story along the scary/embarrassing lines...

A girlfriend and I once had a bit of a go at taking some less than innocent pictures of her on a Polaroid camera. I hung onto the pics until we broke up, at which point they reverted to her possession. She kept them in a shoebox full of a whole bunch of other stuff to do with me. Long story short, her mum found them, had a chat with her daughter and then insisted they be destroyed. I still see my ex and her parents from time to time, and every time I see my ex's mum I can't help but think of that, and what she's seen :eek:

Ah well, at least she didn't like them and come pestering you to make some more ^^

Associate
A couple of years ago i was sat in my bedroom playing Gran Turismo. My younger brother was sat next to me eating sweets, he was around 8 or 9 at the time. I was nearing the end of a race and i felt tapping on my arm, i told him to stop it becuse i knew it wouldn't be anything important, just then i heard the most awful sort of wretch for air. I turned to see my brother nearly passing out, he was blue in the face with his mouth wide open wretching for air. I knew what had happened, got a boil sweet stuck in his throat. I bent him forward (which wasn't easy because he was really panicking) and slapped him really hard on the back, luckily the sweet dislodged and flew out of his mouth.

After it had happened i was really shaken up. I don't like to think what would have happened if i wasn't there when it happened :(

Was really scarey :(

Associate
Worst thing or possibly most memorable would be seeing my friend roll his car.

If he'd have rolled one more time he would have went over quite a big drop. Havin to wait on the ambulances was awful.

Associate
Getting dragged out to sea by the waves. Coming to a rocky type bit, cutting all my shins and feet.. then getting dragged out further :( Scariest thing ever, I thought I was going to drown. My brother managed to save me, if he didn't it would have only been a lifeguard that could, otherwise the only direction I was going was under.

Not nice one bit :(

Associate
I've nearly killed myself a couple of times on my Mtb, but the scariest thing must have been a dream/nightmare I had: It started with me running away from a ghost (I don't know why), then it caught me and it felt like my soul had been torn out! The girl I was staying with woke me because I was moaning really loud, nothing has ever come close to that feeling.

Soldato
Ex-RoNiN said:
Was 13 at the time I think, was riding downhill a steep hill with my mountain bike, I see something on the road, thought cool, i'll crush that puny little tree branch. Turns out it was a big nasty stone which, to make things worse, didn't budge when I hit it (was going well over 35km/h at the time) - result, front wheel takes off, bike does a 180, I fall on the side, and on one knee slide down a further few metres. Result - skin torn down to the bone almost, couldn't walk for a week, still have the scars. Yuck. Haven't been on a bicycle since.
(17 now btw, not had much chance for things to happen)

Yeah, imagine that but on a skateboard and the front wheels hitting one of those metal grate things when I was about 9... skateboard stopped dead and I flew off and done a face plant onto concrete :/ Cut my face pretty bad, split my lip right the way accross and cut my arm open in a few places and had blood all over the place(no pads/helmet either). Not been quite as keen on skateboarding since.

I hurt my ankle pretty badly playing football, hopped over to the wall and stood there for a few minutes before my vision started to go really hazy and I collapsed, I had some sort of fit for a couple of minutes which I remember nothing of at all. Few minutes later I woke up with all my mates standing around me trying to see if I was alright. Turns out a combination of dehydration and my ankle (I had trapped a nerve or something) caused it.

There have been scarier things but ones that happened to other people rather than to me like when I heard my brother had came off his motorbike :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I got drunk one night and found a nearly burnt out car that still had the windows in, for some silly reason I decided to see if I could break the window with my fist and I was right, fist went straight through the window cutting my hand up badly on the glass with blood going everywhere, thought I was going to pass out as it seemed like a lost so much blood, obviously didn't lose as much as I think I did though.

Soldato
I think one of the earliest scary moments I can think of is when I was out with my grandparents. I think we were somewhere in Wales. Anyway, I was running around (was about 7 at the time) and running down some steps as fast as I could.

I was running too fast to run down the next set of steps and literally was running threw the air. I managed to land on my feet and had to keep running in order to stop myself falling - never ran so fast in my life. That was quite scary.

The last scary thing I can remember is losing control of my car. I was going down my favourite country lane with my friend following me and I thought I'd try something new and go a bit faster into a bend. I remember slowing down at 85mph and going around the bend but there was a car travelling towards me with full beam on. I couldn't see for **** so knocked my speed down a bit by just tapping the brakes and the back left of the car swung out sideways, (I was still going fast).

At that point the blood was pumping threw me so fast but maybe not as fast as my hands where moving the steering wheel! The back right came out, then the back left again and then the back right and then back to the left again.

The rear of the car caught a mound in the side of the road and kicked the car up into the air spinning me round 3 times. A tree stump ripped out some of the engine parts which I guess slowed me down.

The scary part was trying to control the car, but when I was spinning I wasn't scared, I just remember holding onto the steering wheel, tensing every muscle in my body and thinking I was going to die.

I was so calm after that though. :confused: I turned the the stereo off, the ignition and the lights. Removed my seat belt and put my phone in my pocket and got out of the car.

The woman who was driving the oncoming car pulled me away from the car and shouted at my friend who was driving the car behind me to get away from the car, (didn't know why at the time but they both said it was on fire). Had I have known that I would have **** myself!

The woman asked me how to dial the police and what the number was, that was quite funny afterwards. Bless :)

Just remembered something else that was scary.

When I used to play football at some professional training place, we were playing a match and a guy belted the ball to one of his team mates but it went straight into my chest and knocked the wind out of me. I couldn't breathe for what felt like ages (probably about 30 seconds). The coach was telling me to just breathe (really?) and when I got my breath back he told me I could let go of my balls now. Ahaha, don't know why I grabbed them - guess it was something to hang onto. :p

Soldato
One of my scariest moments..

At a mates 13/14th birthday party when we all went swimming as he'd hired out a proper pool... had massive floats and everything.. it was awesome.. naturally we were playing pirates building our own vessels from multiple floats..

On one attack i fell in the water unexpectedly, i also seemed to have managed to dive right in too so was quite far under.. i wasnt worried really until i tried to draw a breath and could feel the water in my mouth when i think shock kicked in.. my mind raced a thousand thoughts and then one.. i remember looking up at the surface from underneath and thinking, i dont want to drown.. so i swam as hard as i could upwards.. and when i got to the surface i nearly died.. i had come up underneath a float.. i couldnt push it up as there is a sort of vacuum with those things.. thats when i literally did think this is it.. i dont remember doing much after that but fighting the need to breath in water..

I did get out from underneath the float on my own though and that lungfull of air had never been so appreciated.. i then just laid down on the side for a few minutes looking at everyone else.. who never knew it had even happened.. so i went back to playing pirates.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm.. something scary.. something scary..

A few things have worried me in the past, here are three from when i was little.

1) I threw a tantrum, and as a protest i sat against a boiling radiator for 10-15 minutes, turns out my skin was.. err.. stuck to the metal. (I.E. That hurts, a lot.)

2) Playing around in my grandads jaguar with the keys when i was 7 or so, got the engine started, messed around some more, engaged the lighter somehow, took it out about 20-30 seconds later and put it in my mouth, cue screams for hours and rings shown on my tongue.

3) Throwing another tantrum, i dived into the skirting boards head first and knocked myself out, that was lots of fun!

A little later on in life, when i was around 15-16, me and a group of friends were bored, walking along a bridge when one of them suggested, wouldnt getting over there be quicker if we jumped down? So.. They suggested i should jump off this bridge, albeit about 10-15ft up with a concrete rocky floor below, i did it and was 'fine' for about 5 minutes.

Then walking home, something made me collapse instantly, falling over in agony, my excuse was a badly twisted ankle from slipping off the kerb, turns out the diagnosis in hospital disagreed, first trainee doctor told me i'd pulled some muscles, a day later someone from the hospital phoned up as an emergency.. "Mr Eshmade! Apologies, our doctor diagnosed you wrong, can you come in ASAP?!"

Turns out 11 broken / fractured bones in my foot (which is now deformed), which i was walking around on thinking it was a pulled muscle or something..

Scared to think if i didnt get the call back, maybe permanent damage to my foot?

Oh, and my car crash

Drunk driver on the wrong side of the road forced me to swerve into a hedge, car spun around 2 times or so before landing in a ditch, the car behind the drunk driver missed me by about.. not much, before i hit the bottom of the ditch, probably the scariest moment of life, seconds later i would have been dead.

Back
Top Bottom