What is time? Is time travel possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Originally posted by Tweek_1984
Why cant they move faster than light? Light is just light travelling at some random speed. I still dont see the association.

Because time stops at the speed of light. Moving faster than the speed of light = paradox = wrong.

daz

daz

Soldato
Originally posted by growse
Because time stops at the speed of light. Moving faster than the speed of light = paradox = wrong.

Exactly. Nothing with mass can travel faster than the speed of light - as you approach the speed of light your mass increases exponentially, and eventually you mass will reach infinity if you ever managed to travel at the speed of light.

Since KE = 1/2 M V^2, you'd need an infinite amount of energy to reach that speed. :(

Soldato
Originally posted by DOOM
Damn i wish i could swear at you and threaten to strangle you,instead i could ramble some stuff you wont understand,in turn youll probably come out with another sarcastic reply like everyone will read it and think your funny and ill post some more ramblings.

But i wont.

What the!?! I was being serious! I thought you were on to something. I wasn't being sarcastic. I came up with a similar theory a while back and I wanted to see how you slotted the other stuff into your framework. Ramble away!

Soldato
Originally posted by |Show|
anyone seen 'Cube 2: Hypercube'? that features the 4th dimension in a drawn form so that u can 'understand' it even with a 3d brain. of corse we'll never fully understand it due to the obvious limitations of our 3D understanding, unless of corse we forget everything we know about dimensions and learn it all again with a 4th dimension.

I've just found this on our Uni DC hub and decided to host it:

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/NPWeatherill/Spinning+Hypercube.mpeg

A spinning 4D cube. Kinda makes your eyes bend! If you watch a single corner, it doens't return to its original point, it moves round to another one!

I'm "aquiring" Cube 2 now :)

Associate
Ok afterlife:

If theres such thing as parallel universes then its quiet possible
that when you die,you dont die.

Suppose i drop dead right now,from yours and everyone elses perspective on earth in this universe i am dead!

What if from my perspective nothing at all has happened?

see theres a universe where that event(my death and the events surrounding it) do not take place,
what is actually preventing my consciousness to move about between universe to universe,possibility to possibility without me be none the wiser?

If thats the case it means i and many others have died billions of times and not known it.

I have not formulated an idea for other things.

Although i will say that if god exists a universe with all possibilitys and no death like postulated seems FAIRER like if you dont get an even break here,you are elsewhere,or better luck next time.

deja vu may be that which is caused by one of these universes being extremely simalar on a quantum scale,i.e they are sooooo close that the only difference between them and us is that one human
the counterpart to you is doing things one step ahead,when you catch up you seem to think you done it before.Thats why it dont happen often,might happen a few times or none at all in a persons life,cos it would be rare even on many universe terms.

Associate
Cube 2: Hypercube was about a 4th spatial dimension, not about time (although it did mention time in it). Also, the acting -especially the geek's- was horrible.

Anyway, nice thread guys, very interesting. I'm pretty much in agreement with Tweek-1984; "Why cant they move faster than light? Light is just light travelling at some random speed. I still dont see the association."

Someone wanna clear that up?

Associate
Originally posted by BigWillyJohnson
Anyway, nice thread guys, very interesting. I'm pretty much in agreement with Tweek-1984; "Why cant they move faster than light? Light is just light travelling at some random speed. I still dont see the association."

Light travels at a fixed speed (3x10^8 ms-1) in all non accelerating frames of reference. Its been proved experimentally. As others have said, you'd need an infinite amount of energy to raise your speed above that level. It doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't particles that travel faster than that though. Its just that such particles wouldn't be able to lower their speed to something below that barrier. Don't know if that explains it :/

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by astralcars
Light travels at a fixed speed (3x10^8 ms-1) in all non accelerating frames of reference. Its been proved experimentally. As others have said, you'd need an infinite amount of energy to raise your speed above that level. It doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't particles that travel faster than that though. Its just that such particles wouldn't be able to lower their speed to something below that barrier. Don't know if that explains it :/

That's in vacuum as well :) It goes more slowly through other media like glass etc, but the fastest it ever goes is in vacuum.

Anyway, what you're asking is beyond the realms of science. You might as well just ask why the charge on the electron is what it is, or why plank's constant holds the value it does. Science can't really tell you why these numbers are what they are, and I'm not sure anything else can.

Associate
if something could travel faster than the speed of light, then it would be teleportation isn't it? i mean it would arrive to its destination exactly the same time it leaves the original location?

and if our body and senses operate at the speed of light, would the world appear static to us? what happens if we touch someone? would they be disintegrated?

somehow i don't think the universe adheres to our laws of physics.

and i'm terribly confused.

Soldato
Teleportation isn't a physical state travelling faster than the speed of light, rather transmitted quantum entanglement data. Connections between particles travel at an instantaneous speed anyway, like entanglement & comparing spins.

Soldato
Originally posted by modD
if something could travel faster than the speed of light, then it would be teleportation isn't it? i mean it would arrive to its destination exactly the same time it leaves the original location?

and if our body and senses operate at the speed of light, would the world appear static to us? what happens if we touch someone? would they be disintegrated?

somehow i don't think the universe adheres to our laws of physics.

and i'm terribly confused.

As I said before, if you were to travel at the speed of light, from your point of view, you would get there instantly. From the stationary observer, you would have to travel infinitely quickly (not possible) to get there instantaneously. Basically, it's not doable.

Associate
Originally posted by Fusion
Teleportation isn't a physical state travelling faster than the speed of light, rather transmitted quantum entanglement data. Connections between particles travel at an instantaneous speed anyway, like entanglement & comparing spins.

I think i read somewhere that in quanum teleportation (instant destroying of atoms and recreation in remote location via quantum entanglement) can function independently of time and take you to any location in space\time. This is a much more likely scenario than > speed of light travel etc in my view..

Associate
I think i read somewhere that in quanum teleportation (instant destroying of atoms and recreation in remote location via quantum entanglement) can function independently of time and take you to any location in space\time. This is a much more likely scenario than > speed of light travel etc in my view..

But if you were teleported yourself, would you then cease to exist? And the being coming out at the other end is an exact replica, with the same memory? That's what bothers me about teleportation :D

Soldato
Originally posted by masterluke

Yes, we can teleport a photon. Just.

Now scale that up to several billion atoms. You have to note their positions, and all their properties which in iteslf is an impossible task. More than likely, instead of getting a whole hamster out the other end, you get hamster mush. (where did I quote that from? can't remember....)

Soldato
Originally posted by woo yay
But if you were teleported yourself, would you then cease to exist? And the being coming out at the other end is an exact replica, with the same memory? That's what bothers me about teleportation :D

Infact I've just thought- the measurement data obtained has to be trasmitted by conventional means, so your limit is gool ol' light speed. Yes the object has to be in a pure quantum state, pretty damn fragile if I do say so. It would have to be undertaken in a total vacuum, free from everything, including thermal radiation which could potentially knacker the entire process up. Not to mention the amount of data required to hold the info of a few trillion trillion atoms- a few zettabytes I'd say! One interesting factor is the heisenberg uncertainity principle, which surely would contradict the idea of atom-for-atom teleportation? Can someone with a bit more of an idea speculate on this (you know who you are ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom