What is Torrent?

Soldato
Hi all,

Ive been reading all the torrent posts on here, and have some questions:

1. I know its file sharing, so how does it work?
2. How legal is it?
3. Does the software do anything to pc like sypware, viruses etc.

I want to have a go but I generally don't like loading unknown software. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks
Dan

Associate
Torrents use the idea that as people download a file, they can upload the content they have downloaded simultaniously to others who wish to download the same file. This means lots less dedicated bandwidth needs be bought from the hosting website.

As for legality. Torrents themselves are perfectly legal as they're just files, most needing to be activated by a CDkey.
You won't get arrested for having a bittorent client. What will get you in trouble is if you download programs that have illegal licence keys supplied and you use the illegal licence. IF i downloaded XP Pro it's not illegal, Provided i get a legitimate licence for it and use that. If i DL one that comes with a CDkey that isn't legitimate then i'm falling foul of the law.

In short its not what you download but what you do with it.

Spyware is a posibility, you need to make sure you use a known good client and are careful what you download.

Soldato
OP
Ok i've read that guide, so heres my next question.

When i've downloaded something, its then available for everyone else to upload from me. Does that mean my bandwidth is always tied up with other people uploading directly from my pc, or can it be turned off?

Thanks
Dan

Associate
danlightbulb said:
Ok i've read that guide, so heres my next question.

When i've downloaded something, its then available for everyone else to upload from me. Does that mean my bandwidth is always tied up with other people uploading directly from my pc, or can it be turned off?

Thanks
Dan

As soon as you get 1% of the content, that 1% is available to other users. Therefore, the more people using the same torrent the more reliable it will be. As soon as you close the client, nobody can download off you any more, but is frowned upon for various reasons; especially if you have just completed the download.

Soldato
OP
Presumably having an open client means that I have an open port through my firewall. Does this mean security issues, i.e an open door through my firewall?

'Frowned upon' because all take and no give I assume? It may well be frowned upon but can anyone actually force me to keep my client open, or are there any penalties for not doing so?

Thanks for help so far.

Caporegime
danlightbulb said:
Does this mean security issues, i.e an open door through my firewall?

Not really.

'Frowned upon' because all take and no give I assume?

Yup.

It may well be frowned upon but can anyone actually force me to keep my client open, or are there any penalties for not doing so?

No. But some sites will ban you if you do nothing but download. Depends what you're out to download though.

Soldato
Yes frowned upon because you are basically leeching. Most sites that host the torrent file will require registration which gives you your download statistics. If your download/upload ratio gets too low, your connection to the torrent may become limited or you may then not be able to download more until you have uploaded sufficiently.
I have found Torrent clients a nightmare to sort through a firewall. I have a spare pc that I just disable the firewall when torrenting, because there is not much on the pc that I worry about.

Associate
It may well be frowned upon but can anyone actually force me to keep my client open, or are there any penalties for not doing so?

Some clients i've tried maintain a reduced download speed untill you've been uploading for a few minutes then the download begins to climb normally.

Soldato
OP
Ok i've started using bitcomet.

Now I have another question. Once i've downloaded something, it is available for everyone else to upload from my machine. So, how does the client know where i have saved the file, does it keep it somewhere, cos once I have downloaded I will save the file to CD or something and how does the client access it for other peoples uploads?

Also, why I am only getting 10kB/s? I notice i'm uploading at 20kB/s.

Soldato
I don't mean to sound harsh but all these questions you are asking can be answered by doing a bit of reading first of all. If you don't understand it you probably shouldn't be doing it tbh.

Man of Honour
danlightbulb said:
Hi all,

Ive been reading all the torrent posts on here, and have some questions:

1. I know its file sharing, so how does it work?
2. How legal is it?
3. Does the software do anything to pc like sypware, viruses etc.

I want to have a go but I generally don't like loading unknown software. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks
Dan

2. it's only illegal if you share / download illegal files. you can get plenty of legit stuff on the net which is distributed by torrents

3. some might, the better ones dont :)

ps this might help you set it up

Back
Top Bottom