What is Your Favourite Gloss Paint?

Soldato
Hi Guys

I have some glossing to do. Last time I used the water-based DIY store own brand. It was ok, but I couldn't get a good gloss finish, so room for improvement. What is your favourite gloss paint?

Thanks

Soldato
Water based gloss is a pain to get a decent finish with , I bought some latex extender additive to use and I find it helps a lot but I still don’t get a finish as good as oil based
Im dreading painting my stairs

Soldato
I use dulux trade water based gloss. It is a bit tricky to get a good finish on door frames, skirtings I find ok and doors I always remove and lay flat so that is quite easy to get a good finish that way.

If your door frames don't have any detail on them, you can use a 50mm foam roller for most of it and work quite quickly for a good finish.

I prefer to use oil based as you can work it for a very long time. I find it just yellow's and I need to re do it all again in a couple of years..

Associate
I used to buy paint for a retailer from Akzo Nobel in the 90's (who make Dulux), and the general rule was you got what you paid for. I am sure generally it is still the case.

I remember them telling me they did an own brand white paint for Woolworths which was little better than coloured water, and half the cost was the packaging.

I always buy paints with a high acrylic content (on their advice at the time), but I am not an expert, just my experience.

Permabanned
1.Johnstone's
2.Dulux.
Application of water based is totally different to gloss based. You have to work really fast with water based and trust to your experience in getting a good coat. If you did oil based the same it would be a disaster.

Associate
Big fan of the Leyland trade acrylic I used on cupboards recently.
Easy to work with, nice finish and shouldn't yellow like the oil based Dulux I previously used.
Not tested it's robustness yet though.

Soldato
If you do decide to go for the dulux trade quck dry undercoat and gloss (water based), I find B&Q is a good deal if its on buy 3 for 2. I have only managed to find that on once though.

My last order I bought online from this website (5L container works out better value, depends how much you have to do). I've bought 10L in total with about 3L left and that's all the wood work (inc doors and window boards) for a 4 bedroom house. I've still got two rooms left to do.

https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/dulux-trade-quick-dry-gloss

Undercoat I use:

https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/dulux-trade-quick-dry-undercoat

P.S the paint comes well packed in a box with proper inserts for the paint so it would be difficult for it to get damaged.

*edit* quantities changed above

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom