"What is your password" phone call

Soldato
Got a phone call from Orange today. Well i think it was orange, the number is 07973100194. It was a woman who said something along the lines of "Hi we realise you've recently taken out a new contract with Orange and we'd like to see if everything is working as intended with your account." So I was like OK thinking nothing of it. Then she asked what my account password was, I paused for a second and thought it was weird them phoning me and asking me that, so I said "are you sure this is orange?" she said ofcourse and that they knew my password began with <insert letter> and they wouldn't know that if it wasn't them.

I hung up anyway. Anyone got a call like this from Orange? Do you think it was legit?

Man of Honour
Its not necessarily Orange. I had a call from a similar number from someone that wasn't Orange but was trying to sell me a phone, so I rang Orange who said it wasn't them and did I want a phone :p

The bird at Orange didn't sound at all surprised that non-Orange sales teams were contacting me, nor that they knew when my contract was up - which seems to me like Orange are selling on info.

If it was a renewal it could have been another company that didn't yet know you've renewed.

Associate
I've been with Orange for years, and the last time I renewed my contract I got a call like this. It's basically another sales call, 'informing' you that you can add a variety of extras to your phone, such as MMS etc.
These are usually in the form of a free trial initially, but of course it soon reverts to the full price after a month or two.

If you're unsure, why don't you just call Orange customer services and ask them?

Soldato
Violent-J said:
That's bad business practice IMO to ask for a password over the phone, MOST companies never do that so you were right to hang up mate.

I'd say it's good business practice actually. We won't disclose any details of your account over the phone until you can confirm the password you set up with us.

Soldato
BrenOS said:
It doesn't work like that. Do you think that the customer services call centre(s) has one mobile they pass around?

No of course I don't but if I got a call from a mobile number and they said they were Orange I'd be really suspicious, you'd think it would be an 08 number

Soldato
Its also pretty easy for someone to spoof their cli on outgoing calls. This is what they do anyway, as above, you don't think they actually call off a mobile :D

Soldato
Im not saying they actually use a mobile to call you but if an 07 number comes up on your caller display you would instantly think it was a call coming in from a mobile and when they say they are Orange I'd be a little hesitant because it could be some dirty scammer, where as if it came from a landline number I'd probably believe it more but I'd still hang up and just call the company back on a number that I know is theirs.

Back
Top Bottom