What keyboard do you use? Mechanical? Custom?

Soldato
Seen as we've had the 'programming PC spec' thread, I thought that the next piece of hardware critical to programming is your keyboard.

Personally, I'm a sucker for a nice mechanical. I use a Ducky One 100% keyboard with MX blacks, although I recently switched from a Cherry G80 with MX Blues. I'd got away with the clicky switches for years, but since lockdown and my wife and daughter being home more in the daytime the complaints started coming in more frequently :cry:

The weight of the MX blacks is more than I was expecting but I've gotten used to it now, and it's actually helped me bottom out the keys less.

I'm also looking to potentially build my own keyboard. Probably a TKL as I still need the function row and home group for various VS shortcuts, so I'm interested in other's experiences there regarding plates and switches.

Man of Honour
Topre Realforce 88U (TKL). After using topre switches I hate anything else.

I used to have a blue switch mechanical but it was too noisy. Topre is also far smoother so I find it more comfortable when using it all day.

Associate
I'm in keyboard limbo, I had been blissfully using a Corsair K70 with MX Reds for about 5 years but then made the mistake of getting a Ducky One 2 TKL with MX Blues which felt so much nicer to type on but made my partner want to kill me. After ditching the Ducky One and going back to the K70 it now feels a lot less satisfying to type on.

Trying out a few now to get a decent feel but without too much noise, for the last few days I've been using a Logitech G915 TKL with tactile switches, it's quiet, I can type fast on it (100+ WPM even with my crappy 4-finger typing method)... but it just doesn't feel as nice as some keyboards I've typed on. Maybe I'll have to get over that as it fits every other criteria :p

Soldato
MX browns here. I use a Gigabyte Osmium on my home PC and a DAS 3 plugged into the work laptop. I got the osmium first and chose browns as the compromise between typing and gaming, then just stuck with them when a really good deal came up on the DAS.

To cut the noise down I have the big OC mouse mats on each desk so the keyboards being on them cuts down on the transmission through the desk. I went from daily complaints to none. Always feels weird going back to a membrane keyboard now.

Associate
K95 with Cherry MX Browns.

I find using a mechanical much more satisfying (and less tiring) than using a membrane.

As for noise, the computer is in a room of it's own, so doesn't annoy the rest of the house :D

Soldato
Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues, on the work machine.

Microsoft Surface Keyboard on the gaming machine...it's become my favourite by a long way, I'd use it for both but it's Bluetooth and switching between work and gaming PC is a pain in the butt.

Associate
Just discovered this thread, wish there were more like it. I don't program, but keyboards have become a bit of an obession for me and i've shamlessly almost spent as much on my current keyboard as I have on my home streaming PC.

It all started out with a coolermaster crossfire tenkeless board with Cherry MX blue switches, I then decided that I wanted less keys so I got a Razer Huntsman Mini with their purple optical switches. My partner spilt acetone on my keyboard when doing her nails, so obviously I had to buy another set of keycaps, I then of course had to buy more keycaps for science reasons.

Then I decided that I could not stand the spring ping in my razer keyboard anymore. The only sensible thing to do was to lube the switches. The ping was silenced, but craving for more customization was not!

So I purchased a 60 percent hotswappable PCB along with a 5 degree case from kdb fans and some Gateron brown switches. After having used the Gateron Brown switches for a week I began to think that there must be more to life than this, so I purchased some glorious holy panda switches. To be honest, I found the glorious holy panda switches very overrated, (do not use them stock, the spring ping will give you a headache) and got bored of them within the month.
I heard on the grapevine that Linear was the way to go and got some Gateron yellow switches that I filmed and lubed. They where fine, but again after a few months I felt that I had out grown them and needed more switches!

I'm currently using alpaca linear V2 Switches, which i quite enjoy although I most likely (definitely) will change them in the not to far future.

I'll probably want to buy a new Case soon, the saga continues.

Associate
Apple Magic Keyboard. I kept trying to make mech keyboards work for me, but each time they just limit my typing speed too much. Same for gaming, just find it to be easier to quickly press down on a low profile switch than a chonky mechanical one.

Associate
My personal keyboard is a SteelSeries Apex M800 which uses custom switches - apparently close to Cherry reds. Had it for 4 years and the best keyboard I've ever used by far.

For work I use a SteelSeries Apex 150 as when we used to be in the office I wasn't allowed a mechanical board :( actually a pretty great keyboard for typing on though, so makes coding quite nice. It's very different to the M800 and it's linear switches, but it's not hard to hop between the two. Sometimes I'll RDP to my work PC and use my peripherals (my audio is lightyears better due to having a soundcard), sometimes I just use my work PC straight.

Soldato
Topre Realforce R2 TKL. I’ve tried a lot and I don’t think anything beats Topre for long typing sessions. I’ve also got a mechanical with some Holy Pandas which are lovely but less comfortable for extended sessions.

Back
Top Bottom