What keyboard?

Associate
Hi all, looking to upgrade my keyboard as my trusty Logitech G110 is giving up the ghost after around 6 years (maybe longer).

Had a couple in mind but unsure on what to get, mechanical isnt a must but would be nice to try it out.

The 2 I have been looking at are the Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 and the SteelSeries Apex 5 RGB Hybrid.

Both have been given good reviews and also look good, so what should I choose? Are there any other options?

Main use is gaming with some office work.

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
From mechanicals Logitech G815 wouldn't be big "shock" in physical aspects and switch behaviour:
Membrane/rubber dome you're familiar with has initial resistance before keycap starts going down and press is registered only during bottoming.
Hence it's harder to accidentally press it.

Corsair again is with light linear switches, which have only little initial resistance and force needed to press key deeper grows more significant only after some distance.
While key press is registered already half way down.
That can cause accidental keypresses and you might need to consciously keep fingers from pressing keys down.
And that isn't comfortable and would be really bad for gaming by taking focus away from game and also slowing you down when actually needing to press key.

Hence without previous experience, or chance for good testing, non linear switch is lot safer choise.
Instead of lowest force in upper part of travel before actuation point, those have minor bump there, before needed force lowers.

Logitech GL switch in G815 such.
Also unlike most mechanical keyboards it's nice slim:
https://theawesomer.com/logitech-g915-g815-mechanical-keyboards/536576/

It's also among the quietest mechanical switches.
Unless you have tried them, you would probably be shocked by noise kept by typical mechanical keyboard.
Most of mechanical switches simply fail to give damn about noise of hard pieces mashing into each others both in down and up stroke.
Few even add extra noise effect to mimic old mechanical typewriter.
Like that SteelSeries.

Soldato
Was going to start the same kind of thread. I've been a Logitech user for years and years but never tried a mec keyboard. My current Logi keyboard has a broken leg and it being propped by a boot at the moment. Not particularly satisfying to use! Main use is work with occasional gaming.

I'm looking for something that has a wrist rest, not too obnoxious click and some form of backlighting. Not adverse to RGB as long as it's easily controlled. Will follow this with interest :)

Soldato
I went from an old Logitech G510 rubber dome which was well worn with some of the keys starting to stick to a G910 Orion spectrum as I wanted to go mechanical but didn't want it to be too loud or clicky and I think the romer-G keys are a good compromise it was also nice being able to import all my old macros across without the need to redo them all.

Soldato
I went from an old Logitech G510 rubber dome which was well worn with some of the keys starting to stick to a G910 Orion spectrum as I wanted to go mechanical but didn't want it to be too loud or clicky and I think the romer-G keys are a good compromise it was also nice being able to import all my old macros across without the need to redo them all.

Which version of they keys did you get in the G910? The G810 looks interesting, I'm thinking brown might be a good compromise but red the quietest?

Soldato
Which version of they keys did you get in the G910? The G810 looks interesting, I'm thinking brown might be a good compromise but red the quietest?
There usually isn't much noise difference between linear and non-linear switch of same overall design.
Biggest noise sources are simply hard parts smashing into each others first when you press key down and when spring kicks it up sharply.
It's clicky switch, which is different animal like name says.

Romer-G is is kinda like MX Brown, but actually more closer to membrane/rubber dome in how initial resistance feels:
Shortened travel means that there isn't much any lighter travel before force curve bump starts.
That makes it's feel more familiar.

But for noise G815's GL is clear margin quieter than Romer-G.
I have here both (non-linear/tactile) G810 and G815, because of doing non-planned purchase not so long ago when one shop had good discount from usual price for G815.

Soldato
Thanks @EsaT Actually meant the G815 posted earlier. I have a Logitech K520 at the mo and it's also fairly low profile keys so seems a good fit. Thinking about it, and I usually don't, the K520 is hardly quiet but I have a heavy typing stomp! Just worries me a bit the 815 doesn't have a matching rest while the 520 has a pronounced chin that I rest my palms on

Soldato
Thanks @EsaT Actually meant the G815 posted earlier. I have a Logitech K520 at the mo and it's also fairly low profile keys so seems a good fit.
Pretty much every mechanical keyboard, except G815/G915 have high profile.
Those have such slim profile that some wrist rests might be too high.

Back
Top Bottom