What makes a car a super car?

Soldato
The_Dark_Side said:
in the 60's/70's when cars of this type first appeared the definition was clear cut.
0-60 in less than 6 seconds and a top speed of 150MPH and upwards.

nowadays as engineering has advanced there are a gazillion cars that are capable of this and more so the goalposts have moved on.
i believe that now we need to include numbers produced ie exclusivity and the sticker price.

so for sake of argument i'll start the ball rolling and let's see if any of the other members can correct/re-define my figures for "what it takes" to be a supercar:-

0-60=sub 4.5 seconds.
top speed=185+MPH.
price=at least £100-150k
exclusivity=if they make more than a handful a week then your not allowed into our club.

any improvements on the above?

You can get Aston Martins for that price with that spec not to mention the BMW M5 and M6 - I wouldn't call them super cars either.

Soldato
OP
Freefaller said:
It's 3L, but it's still a "big" engine in my eyes.

You know that's my thinking of a super car anything Sporty with 3liter and turbo attached to it. With this kind of set up, you can venture into realm of speed acheived my more expensive car. Hence i see a supra as a super car other than a sports car. Having said that, maybe i am wrong.

Associate
I'd stipulate a pricetag in excess of £150-200,000, 0-60 in sub 4 seconds and a top speed of 200mph.

I wouldn't, for example, class porsches, with the exception of the cgt, as supercars.

Soldato
Enfield said:
Nah, but they match the specs
no they don't,try reading my post again.
The_Dark_Side said:
i believe that now we need to include numbers produced ie exclusivity and the sticker price.
The_Dark_Side said:
price=at least £100-150k
exclusivity=if they make more than a handful a week then your not allowed into our club.

Soldato
Aston Martin’s hand-built 6.0-litre V12 is renowned as one of the finest engines in the world: enormously powerful, smooth and beautiful. It can also lay claim to being the world’s best-sounding high performance car engine. In the Vanquish S, it reaches its zenith. Maximum power is 520 bhp (388 kW) at 7000 rpm, with maximum torque of 425 lb ft (577 Nm) at 5800 rpm.

Such power delivers sterling performance. Indeed, this is the fastest-ever road going Aston Martin. Top speed is more than 200 mph (321 km/h), the 0-62 mph (100 km/h) dash is accomplished in only 4.8 seconds while 0-100 mph (160 km/h) takes just 9.8 seconds. But it is the mid-range acceleration that is truly sensational; 50-70 mph (80-112 km/h) takes only 6.5 seconds in sixth gear. Overtaking is effortless.

OK maybe that one is a super car :p

Vanquish S V12

Back
Top Bottom