What makes you English (or any other nationality)?

Soldato
I was born in France. My father is French, my mother is Moroccan. I've lived in England for 11 years (I am 17). I have a French passport.

Thus, you could say I am French because of my dad and my passport.
You could also say I am Moroccan thanks to my mother.
You couldn't say I am English even though I've lived here most of my life though. I don't even know how I could even "become" English. I doubt I'd be given a British passport and I don't know if I would want to ask for one.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Killerkebab said:
I was born in France. My father is French, my mother is Moroccan. I've lived in England for 11 years (I am 17). I have a French passport.

Thus, you could say I am French because of my dad and my passport.
You could also say I am Moroccan thanks to my mother.
You couldn't say I am English even though I've lived here most of my life though. I don't even know how I could even "become" English. I doubt I'd be given a British passport and I don't know if I would want to ask for one.

You've resided in England for 11 years, I do believe that is enough grounds for citizenship.

Soldato
I class myself as Italian.
Because i have an Italian passport.

Things such as where you were born has no relevance in my books. It goes on your passport. Simple as.

Soldato
BoomAM said:
I class myself as Italian.
Because i have an Italian passport.

Things such as where you were born has no relevance in my books. It goes on your passport. Simple as.

Thats what I always thought. However you need to get the passport yet :p

Nix said:
You've resided in England for 11 years, I do believe that is enough grounds for citizenship.

Even if the 11 years aren't consecutive?

Soldato
Stellios said:
For me personally it goes on you and your families history. Your born in the UK, your parents are Indian. To me its not just where you live, its your entire bloodline.

How far? You want my ancestors from one hundred years ago? Or two hundred? Or one thousand, maybe?

Using bloodline is ultimately worthless as a mark of your nationality. Your country isn't tied to your blood.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Killerkebab said:
Thats what I always thought. However you need to get the passport yet :p

Even if the 11 years aren't consecutive?

I'm not sure tbh, for some reason the number four keeps popping into my head. I'm no expert on the subject though.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
I don't know what I am.
Born in England but left at the age of 3 to move to Wales.
I don't really feel English as it caused me too much hassle when I was younger. But I also don't feel Welsh either because I don't sound it and most people assume I'm just a student living here for now anyway.

Suppose if I had to decide, I'd say I was European. I don't particularly want to be seen as British so that rules that out.

As it stands, when it comes to sport I support both England and Wales, although usually in the rugby I lean towards Wales because I can actually name players of theirs :o

Maybe when I move to England I'll feel more English but who knows.

Man of Honour
I was born in England, raised in England, only been abroad once (to Ireland), But am I English? Not according to the UKPA.

My Mum's German and my father isn't on the birth certificate so I can't prove that i'm English. So, technically i'm a German citizen. If I wanted a British Passport i'd have to pay £100 odd quid for claim citizenship.

I would regard myself as English, but apprently not everyone shares my opinion.

Burnsy

Edit: I speak as much German as I learnt at GCSE level, which incendently, was my lowest grade (C).

Last edited:
Soldato
BoomAM said:

Sorry, I didn't mean it for you personally, I just meant in general. Like everyone saying they're nationality xx from their father and yy from their mother. I was just saying you need to get the passport. Like if I wanted to "be English" I'd need to apply and actually recieve a passport. Just ignore me if it makes no sense, still :p

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

WELSH

"..any ladies got any welsh in them? .. you want some ;)"

*mwuhahahahaha*

Back
Top Bottom