What makes you English (or any other nationality)?

Soldato
*Dmpoole is NIGERIAN all the way, i dont care what your roots and bloodlines are :D ,
Once a Nigerian always one, no doubt about that, im sure he feels Nigerian too.

As for me i hold a British/Nigerian passport but if there's a war, i will be on the Nigerian Army side. :D

*Shame he supports the BNP! (iirc)

Caporegime
I'm english. I hate having to use british too. Its only the english that seem to want to lose their individuality.

Regarding nationalities, the one saying that gets right on my **** is African American. Most americans cant find africa on the map, yet they consider themselves african americans. No member of their family they can name has ever seen africa, yet they embrace africa.

Just seems weird to me.

Soldato
dannyjo22 said:
Regarding nationalities, the one saying that gets right on my **** is African American. Most americans cant find africa on the map, yet they consider themselves african americans. No member of their family they can name has ever seen africa, yet they embrace africa.

What are you on about? Their roots are there, they might be Americans but thats where their ancestors came from.

Anyway, I remember a tread a while ago on SC loosely related to this, what makes me Greek? Well I was born there, both my folks are Greek, I used to live there till I was 15, I love the place, proud of it and of my ancestors...but in today's world citizentship and nationality can be confusing. I mean, I could apply for a citizentship, but that wouldn't make me British.

Soldato
my parents are both chinese but i was born in england and have live here ever since(nearly 17 years). so what am i?
personally i think im chinese but all my friends say i am half chinese half english???

Soldato
dannyjo22 said:
So no one calls Black people in Oz African australians. Or African Englishman, just african american.

Yeah because they where getting a lot of **** from people calling them ******* this ******* that, they where just wanted to try and get rid of the racism against them, now I am not saying that just by sticking an African before their nationality does anything, but their motives (whoever did this) where genuine.

Soldato
Freefaller said:
I'd say Dmpoole is English but with Irish and Nigerian roots.

As for me... well I have dual nationality legally (also have 2 passports). I don't always really feel english... however I don't always really feel french either. I've got my mediterranean/cypriot roots that I like too.

It's a toughie. I guess I feel whatever I want to feel at the time... I would probably still err on the side of frogginess, but I'm becoming more and more english as time goes on I think!

You are archetypically English mate :D

I'm English too, I was born here and I have always lived here but FF comes across as more English than me :D.

MB

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Matblack said:
You are archetypically English mate :D

I'm English too, I was born here and I have always lived here but FF comes across as more English than me :D.

MB

I don't know whether to be insulted or complimented by that statement! :p

I suppose I don't come across as TOO foreign ;) I have my moments though...

Soldato
Freefaller said:
I don't know whether to be insulted or complimented by that statement! :p

I suppose I don't come across as TOO foreign ;) I have my moments though...

You have a 'hail fellow, well met' attitude which is typical of the English, along with many of the good traits of a well eduacated English gentleman, however you seem to have managed to avoid the less desirable traits associated with the gentry.

Anyway, enough of this mod team bum loverry, tally ho!

MB

Soldato
ElRazur said:
As for me i hold a British/Nigerian passport but if there's a war, i will be on the Nigerian Army side. :D

A fine example of a member of another culture enriching us with his presence...

In the event of the war you describe, when you mean 'Nigerian side' would you intend to report straight to the POW camp considering you are currently living in the 'enemy' country?

*Shame he supports the BNP! (iirc)

You may be getting confused, he once said he supports BP (British Petroleum)

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
A fine example of a member of another culture enriching us with his presence...

In the event of the war you describe, when you mean 'Nigerian side' would you intend to report straight to the POW camp considering you are currently living in the 'enemy' country?

Dont be daft CBS, im getting bored with your disguised/thin veiled inslut. Come to think of it, i remember posting here how i wanna join the army (TA) and asking people what they think (do a search you will find it)
What you quoted had a Big grin next to it, it was a joke and i think you should try another method now as your present move of trying to say crap at me and then go away are becoming boring and repetitive.

Soldato
Born in Wales which classifies me as Welsh but I was only born there. I've lived in England since I was adopted and that was setup before I was born so I doubt I was there for anything but a few weeks. Out of all the countries I prefer the Japanese way of life. So ...

Permabanned
ElRazur said:
What you quoted had a Big grin next to it, it was a joke

Many a true word is said in jest though. Were you totally joking or just slightly? In a hypothetical war between the UK and Nigeria, where would your allegiances lie?

Soldato
MrLOL said:
your not english just because you were born here

legally you are as far as citizenship goes. but you get lots of indians/pakistanis born in this country to immigrant grand parents / parents.

They are english by nationality

but not english.

To be english id say that your family going back 4 or 5 generations had to be english as well.

No such thing as an english national mate..not any more..We are all british..

Those indians/pakistanis are british by nationality...their ethnicity is indian/pakistani, mine is english..but we are both british.

Back
Top Bottom