What makes you English (or any other nationality)?

Soldato
dannyjo22 said:
So no one calls Black people in Oz African australians. Or African Englishman, just african american.

Its because of the nature of blacks being in the US...They were pretty much all brought over as slaves and it was policy back then to try and remove identity from the slaves to try and stop them having anything to remind them of their old lives..

Most blacks in the US dont have a clue where they come from within africa,they just know it was africa...so thats the word they use...They arent unusual, america as a nation is very racially confused and has lots of identity issues.

Man of Honour
My passport says British, I was born in Scotland, my mum is English and my dad is Scottish but I'd always count myself as Scottish first and foremost because that is where I feel I am from. I've always taken the approach that it is what you feel that is important rather than a mere accident of birth or parentage that defines your nationality.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
Many a true word is said in jest though. Were you totally joking or just slightly? In a hypothetical war between the UK and Nigeria, where would your allegiances lie?

You know you are putting me in a difficult corner, Alleginace is kinda hard. I was born here but left after a year and I came back 1999 (im in my 20's so do the maths).
Given the circumstances above it will be hard for me but if i had joined the army and a war comes on btw both countrys im afraid i will have to do my duty as a soidier. And if i am not in the army but there is a war, i will be more bothered about how to survive. I hope that answer your question.

Associate
I'm half Enlish/American, I don't really see myself as anything really. It gets on my nerves the way some people are overly proud (i.e. arrogant) about their nationality - 'get out of our country!!!!'

Get over it mate, you can't like 'own' a country man, it belongs to mother earth!

/hippy

Soldato
Born in England, english parents, haven't been able to trace my family back to anywhere other than england (except maybe some french back in the 12th century or something). So I think english is the only way to decribe my nationality.

Soldato
GlasgowTitan said:
I'm Scottish because when it comes to sports, I HATE the English, and if you hate the English, that makes you either Scottish, Welsh or Irish. :p

or any of the many other groups of people we have totally dominated over in the past. :o

Soldato
Born in England - parents are both english - however have lived 25 years of my 29 in Scotland - What am i?

I am English - it's where i was born - from a sporting point of view i support england, however i also support scotland if they are playing etc. I am English and therefore my number one team from a sport point of view is England

Soldato
dmpoole said:
So up to yet I'm :
English
Nigerian
Irish

I've still got no further in finding my true identity

Hey bruv listen to me AS THE POWER BESTOWED ON ME AS A CITIZEN OF NIGERIA I HEREBY PRONOUNCE YOU DMPOOLE "WHATEVER YOUR REAL NAME IS" A COMPLETE AND 100% NIGERIAN

There you are officially Nigerian. Be happy from now hence forth. (sorry had to do it in captial letters, get the message accross) :)

Soldato
dmpoole said:
So up to yet I'm :
English
Nigerian
Irish

I've still got no further in finding my true identity

Yes you have..

English, Nigerian and Irish....Why do you have to be one thing? Im simply English because all of my family have been english as far back as I can tell...but its perfectly possible to have a background that includes several ethnicities.

Back
Top Bottom