What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
We used a removals company and had them do the packing too. 2 people arrived the day before we were due to move and packed up all but the essentials. The following day they arrived, loaded the lorry up and put the boxes into the new house. It was utterly painless and the company we went with cost less for the packing and moving than most others wanted to charge for just the moving.

We were moving from a 2 bed house, I don't remember costs exactly, I think it was around £700. If we ever move again then I'll definitely get someone in to do the packing. It made the move a breeze. Well, bar the estate agents being utterly hopeless but that's to be expected. Oh, and the garage door on the new house falling off it's runners the first time we opened it.

Soldato
Today is the dreaded moving day for me, packing and more packing unfortunately. Would anyone recommend using a removal company or will a man with a van be just as good? Just thinking of saving myself and my back the pain of moving wardrobes down 2 flights of stairs. I have a 2 bedroom family home just to give you guys an idea of the quantity of stuff I have to move

We were planning to just hire a van when we moved from our little two bed semi. I'm very glad we went with a proper removals company in the end. We had way more stuff than we thought and it helped reduce the stress of a really stressful day. Best £600 we ever spent.

Soldato
We were planning to just hire a van when we moved from our little two bed semi. I'm very glad we went with a proper removals company in the end. We had way more stuff than we thought and it helped reduce the stress of a really stressful day. Best £600 we ever spent.

Agreed - we moved a 2 bed+load of attic stuff (combine of two houses). The guys turned up early, packed everything and moved it. No breakages. Superb. IIRC £800.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I don't normally pay people to do jobs around the house, but had an electrician in today to move the single pendant in my lounge / diner so that its central in the lounge side, and install 4 down lighters in the dining room side. Can't believe we put up with 1 pendant for almost 3 years in this room, was always so dark. Luckily he only needed to make one more hole than needed so I only had 2 holes (old pendant location) to repair. First fill earlier this evening.

I've left most of my stuff in the kitchen whilst I fill, sand and then paint ceiling in the room. The pendant lamp shade to be changed with something the wifey bought that's taking up space in my garage:

mrANLxsh.jpg

4x new spot lights. Can see the two recently filled in holes
GLUGP4Zh.jpg

No way, I thought I recognised this, was it Jordan who did this? From AE?

cracking work on the later photos in the thread. The filled holes are invisible.

Soldato
Yes it was! He lives in the same village :D

I put the new lamp shade up the other day (big glass thing). Got a cool looking bulb in it though:

VtgCckYh.jpg

Lights up like this:

NxMwTigh.jpg

I had painted the master bedroom door at the weekend, hung it Monday night. Looks terrible next to the old wood work in the master bedroom.

yb3tbU7h.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Replacing ensuite and bathroom. Rooms are next to each other so both done at the same time. Taken me 3 and half weeks.

Ensuite first, started with this.
WS4wbjCl.jpg
h0Wasq0l.jpg

Both rooms had built in wardrobes in them from the bedroom, these were both removed and relocated to the spare bedroom.

Everything was ripped out and a new stud wall built between them, the old flimsy metal wall was removed.
AqkVVC2l.jpg

Floor had to be taken up a bit in the en suite to reroute pipes. 22mm gas pipe and all the water lines right under the chipboard, lucky the depth had been set correctly on the circular saw before the old nails were cut out.

q4NEJxhl.jpg

Studwork was built for the concealed cistern and recess area.

WquqXv7l.jpg

Shower area
CMGQ1Hol.jpg

Tiling started
3K1Ol5cl.jpg
ln2nN2kl.jpg
5qKYQrjl.jpg

Mosaics installed and ceiling cladded.
g4HpU3il.jpg
lmXiiCil.jpg

Hardibackers installed over chipboard then floor tiled.
JfmVtlwl.jpg

Almost done
hF1wrLHl.jpg

Shower
3kWobWXl.jpg

xP1AqwFl.jpg

Soldato
The bathroom is a similar size to the ensuite above.

Started off by ripping it out

Loose blocks and some awful plasterboard work below the windows in the both rooms were removed and replaced.

bSKPzRRl.jpg

The framework was built for concealed cisterns again and the pipework rerouted, waste pipes extended for new bath location, heating system drained which takes ages with a thermal store, radiator pipes run in to new locations. Unfortunatley everything is plumbed in 10mm microbore and whoever installed it wasnt very good at bending the pipes so there are a lot of kinks. I cut it close to the floor and ran my new pipework from there.

26PxNFvl.jpg

Walls were boarded and bath fitted, end of the bath a framework built for the sink with removable access hatch for all the plumbing. The bath was framed for tiling also.

CtvDpwxl.jpg

V9PbQaJl.jpg

Walls were tiled
mSkA6HQl.jpg
ivpF3M0l.jpg
sUJXEfol.jpg

Floor was well out of level, chipboard was screwed down and overlayed with hardibacker before levelled ready for tiling.

WFh5JAal.jpg

The floor was then primed and tiled.

nUczaSIl.jpg
hI8r0hdl.jpg
VdALvedl.jpg

Window shelf, sink shelf and everything installed. Window painting left.
QYBjZsWl.jpg
8x6wkjnl.jpg
XMM8puel.jpg

Soldato
I agree it looks nice. It's always a worry what is lurking underneath, sounds like yours wasn't too bad.

Not too many snags, the biggest one we found some light fittings had suffered melting under all the insulation in the loft. I rewired most of of the loft space lifting cables above the insulation and placing loft lids over the light fittings to eliminate the issue.

Caporegime
Good job, nice to see it done properly. I really rate the marmox stuff. Did the same in my bathroom with 20mm panels on all external walls, nice flat surface to tile to and insulation benefit.

Soldato
Took off door, shaved it down to account for new carpet, re-hung it. In about 30 minutes! Job done.

Or so I thought, until mrs spud told me I also have to do the other door, which has been on for about 90 years. Expecting that to be a massive pain, not least as it is solid wood and weights a ton.

Back
Top Bottom