What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Put together a pair of IKEA Alex drawers

IMG-20200925-191727.jpg

Soldato
Put a new waste on the bathroom sink. Easy job but the disgusting black slimy foul smelling goop that had built up in every nook in the waste and u bend....:(

Soldato
Put a new waste on the bathroom sink. Easy job but the disgusting black slimy foul smelling goop that had built up in every nook in the waste and u bend....:(
I cleaned out a P trap a couple of months ago, I couldn't even identify what was in it, as it's our only sink upstairs it gets a lot of use.

Associate
I’ve started to dig up the front garden and removing 4 large-ish trees.

The garden is too high and it’s at/above the damp course of the house in several places. We haven’t experienced any damp on the inside of the house which I’m surprised about to be honest.

2 of the trees where planted up against the front of the house. The trunks are about 8-10 inches in diameter so I thought it was about time I removed them to avoid damage to the house.

The tree roots are at/above surface level in several areas of the ‘lawn’ so there is no way of getting a level lawn with the current set up.

I think the ground is made up of more stones and bricks than actual dirt which is great........ however it does mean I can highly recommend the bulldog garden fork from Wickes. It’s coped with everything without bending or breaking. On the other hand I managed to snap the Spear and Jackson fork I purchased from Screwfix within about 15 minutes.

Soldato
My missus has snapped two spear and Jackson forks. I replaced one under the 10 year warranty, can't find the receipt to do the same again! Keep telling her they are not designed for leveraging large roots out the ground ;)

Associate
2 of the trees where planted up against the front of the house. The trunks are about 8-10 inches in diameter so I thought it was about time I removed them to avoid damage to the house.

Keep your eye out for heave now the trees have been removed (re-saturation of the ground resulting in increased volume of ground). Trees take a large amount of ground water thus the land can swell once they have been removed, causing damage to buildings.

Trees near buildings = bad.

(But you've done the right thing getting rid).

Some info.:

https://www.labcwarranty.co.uk/blog/reducing-the-effects-of-ground-heave-following-tree-removal/

Last edited:
Soldato
Walked into the bathroom on Friday to find the floor soaking wet, turns out the plug in the basin had shattered (done it up to tight or been knocked). The taps been dripping for a while (cold) so spent Saturday afternoon replacing the lot.
Also replaced the shower head rail as the original Mira one had split when one of the kids pulled on it.

Today I've been dad, colouring in, playing with kenetic sand and making curry!

Soldato
Walked into the bathroom on Friday to find the floor soaking wet, turns out the plug in the basin had shattered (done it up to tight or been knocked). The taps been dripping for a while (cold) so spent Saturday afternoon replacing the lot.
Also replaced the shower head rail as the original Mira one had split when one of the kids pulled on it.

Today I've been dad, colouring in, playing with kenetic sand and making curry!
It's crazy stuff that kinetic sand.

Soldato
Took the edging around roof of summer house off - sanded and painted both sides with that rubberized paint - glad to find none had any rot on them - one is back up - the other two tomorrow - Nice to do a job without it knackering me up.
Glad I screw everything on these days instead of banging nails in.

Associate
@fobose , not AC but a different kind of ventilation. It's the hole for the vent from an en-suite shower that's been out of commission ever since I discovered the previous owners of this house had the extraction fan just blowing in to the loft space. Then they covered it with insulation and then covered it with loft boards. Numpties! All that moist air just condensing but I reckon I got it in time. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow once I'm finished.

Rather than lifting the loft boards (nailed in you see :rolleyes:) I just routed out a hole in the boards and thankfully my Routabout saved me from a bit of a shock. Not really, I knew the cable was there and that the router's bit wouldn't hit it, but still, I hate it when electricians are lazy and notch the beams for the cables rather than make a hole in the middle of the beam.

y4m7hcPGMsxQfLBK3SDlrjU2_mB_skVDTLh2dKFvawzfTE8zA2AwT64Jk1PdhtdmdIBz32BoVFkgYHDrUXejiaG1hiWx6Cd2DpY4MHhwAkG5B2pfQZ5FubIhW8oEv6ONksJbYyqBbc7bFcoEqK0IMwToDSUvbPPJHjqZiJDT-C5GNdS30VQWv_akaET239susFN

Associate
Cheers @ik9000 , I went with dry with frequent vacuuming out the dust. Thankfully my drill has a good clutch or I would have been thrown around the loft or broke an arm when the core drill caught.

Back
Top Bottom