What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
Yes, I know they ain't straight and yes I've patched the old holes with masking tape and will paint over them . It's a quick and dirty temporary solution (honest :D)

IMG-20201108-123208.jpg

I had 6 holes (possibly a little bigger than them) in my living room ceiling after removing some old downlights. Filling them was surprisingly easy and didn't take much time to do.

If you can get up in the loft above stick some old plywood or mdf over the holes with a bit of grab adhesive (brush away any dust first). You want a fairly oversized bit that goes well over the edges of the hole so once it's dried you can blast a few plasterboard screws through the ceiling (from the room upwards) to fully secure the wood. If you can't get into the loft, take a piece big enough to do it from the loft and cut it in half so it's small enough to be slotted through the hole from below. You can hold the first piece in place with you hand through the hole while you screw it in from underneath. Drill a screw into the centre of the second piece (before putting it through the hole) so you can pull down on to it while it's being screwed in.

Then just cut a chunk of plaster board to fit the hole and screw that to the wood filling most of the hole, then get some filler and fill the gap between the plasterboard disc and the original ceiling (fill it slightly short of level with the ceiling). Then skim over the surface (any any screw holes) with some easy fill to get it perfectly level. Spray a bit of water on the final skim and give it a final swipe with a trowel to get a super smooth finish that barely needs sanding.

Dave

Soldato
Hi and thanks. Theres no loft above as its had a loft conversion (My eldest's room above) but you can do it from below very easilly.

Cut a length of (ideally) roof batten oversized to the diametre of the hole - slide it in and centre over the hole, a screw each end through the ceiling to hold in place, cut the plasterboard to the size / shape, screw in place, fill the gap / sand and paint ;):p:D

The whole ceiling will be coming down and replaced when the kitchen is done and didnt have the plasterboard to hand so the tried and tested making tape and paint solution it was

You can barely tell now - a very simple solution if its not a perminant one

Associate
You can barely tell now - a very simple solution if its not a perminant one

The fact that it looks so good would mean I would probably forget that it needed doing and I would never get round to sorting it. If it looked awful it would bother me and I would have to repair it!

We were in a bungalow so the holes just went into the loft, after filling them up the room was much warmer as all the heat wasn't escaping through the massive holes in the ceilings!

As for the OCD with sockets and switches, I always replace them when decorating rooms in a house that is new to me as they are so cheap and most people are happy to slop paint over them. Why can't people just loosen the screws and paint carefully round them?

Dave

Associate
I haven't notice anything yeat although the gap between the radiator top and the desk is small. Pc intake fans are at the front and top of the unit and the output fan is the only one really close to the radiator itself. You're right, this is not ideal, but space utilisation, look and convenience outweights the negatives atm. I've found table top for 20£ on Gumtree so it won't even be a significant financial loss if it will have to go.

Soldato
Got so bored this morning that I decided to turn a pile of rubbish in the garage in to a neat pile of rubbish.

Before

414487689.jpg

After - just in case anyone didn't notice the difference

414487690.jpg

Won't be able to find nowt anymore.

Soldato
I haven't notice anything yeat although the gap between the radiator top and the desk is small. Pc intake fans are at the front and top of the unit and the output fan is the only one really close to the radiator itself. You're right, this is not ideal, but space utilisation, look and convenience outweights the negatives atm. I've found table top for 20£ on Gumtree so it won't even be a significant financial loss if it will have to go.
Yeah, it does look really good and a good use of space. :)

Associate
GLOL, not seen an RMOne for many years now. From memory the ones I saw installed at a local school started out life with 512mb RAM! Glad to see they are still going strong somewhere.

Absolutely! I hate waste! This world needs to die! They were going into a skip. Picked up 5 of them, fresh windows reinstall, additional ram and I had four older ladies from my office bouncing from joy. My unit runs 3770, 16GB of ram, and a 1050 TI. More than enough for basic users.

hQhJ435.jpg

Soldato
Shaved the bottom of the internal kitchen door, which had suddenly started rubbing on the floor. It hadn't dropped on the hinges, maybe it's something to do with the change of season. Swings fine now.

Mended the back door handle, it's a upvc door and you pull the handle up to engage the locks. The inside handle suddenly came loose with about 10mm play, it felt like the handle was going to come off. Took it apart and a little plastic retaining washer had disintegrated. Bought a set of assorted external circlips and some circlip pliers from eBay and replaced the plastic washer with a circlip to retain the handle, works fine and won't wear out again. A neat £11 fix. Probably won't need use the circlip set again though.

Soldato
Shaved the bottom of the internal kitchen door, which had suddenly started rubbing on the floor. It hadn't dropped on the hinges, maybe it's something to do with the change of season. Swings fine now.

That's funny, my downstairs loo door has started doing the same. I can't see any signs of it dropping either. Another job for my list.

Back
Top Bottom