1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What "man jobs" have you done today?

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by jaybee, 18 Aug 2012.

1. Liquid_Entity

Soldato

Anyone have any idea how I can tell what my fireplace is constructed of. Presuming it's masonry. Any idea if I can pop a nail in it. Need to hang a very light/spindly mirror which has a hook on its back?

2. LuckyBenski

Soldato

Try a magnet. If it's ferrous, magnet will stick. If not, it's likely wood or masonry both of which should take a nail ok.

3. apg

Gangster

Removed old cement mortar from brickwork at rear of house with angle grinder and hammer and chisel. Now need to find the time to actually repoint it.

4. Liquid_Entity

Soldato

What would be ferrous then as in what material will it tell me by doing this method?

5. Tony Edwards

Soldato

Iron.

If its masonary like you think, you could put a nail in just be a bit careful it doesnt blow and make a big divet.

If its plaster or something I would use a small drill bit to make a hole.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2020
  6. chaparral

Capodecina

Looks like the same blue as i was painting last week

Dulux Sapphire salute Dulux Easycare Sapphire salute Matt Emulsion paint 2.5L | DIY at B&Q

7. Gary*

Hitman

Same as what we've just put on our chimney breasts, it's a cracking colour but an unforgiving paint - definitely marks very easy but I won't complain considering we got a 5L tin from homebase for 15 quid!

8. Liquid_Entity

Soldato

Yes that's the one. It is awful for scratches. Even dust and my greasy hand print when I wobbled off the ladder doing the curtain pole. Doh

9. Martynt74

Capodecina

Not sure it counts as a Man Job, but i was fed up using the kitchen counter after 8 months of WFH, and it looks like it'll go on a little longer yet. Didn't want to buy a desk, so got some Birch Ply from the shed and stuck a few legs on it.

It's pretty wobbly. It really needs a cross brace along the back, but i didn't have a piece of wood long enough to hand. Im hoping that sorts it!

It's also not sanded properly and it covered in saw dust from being in the shed. My wife is definitely not a fan.

[​IMG]

10. LuckyBenski

Soldato

I think I prefer the desk to the mouse pad! Looks like neat enough work to me. Isn't it a sort of coffee table height though?

11. Martynt74

Capodecina

It's probably a little low for me. I googled average desk height and everything seemed to suggest ~90cm so i went with that.

I'm debating painting the legs white, but then it means i can't re-use the wood as easily!

12. LuckyBenski

Soldato

A cheapskate after my own heart :D

Just checked and my desk is 73cm, my workbench is 96.

13. apg

Gangster

Now thats a propa table.

14. DXP55

Mobster

My computer desk is 80 of those new fangled measuring units.

15. Martynt74

Capodecina

First use so far today and definitely need some improvements. Notably i need to round off the edges, as a sharp 90degree corner does nothing for my arms when resting on it!

16. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

With the guidance of my builder neighbour, I’ve repaired an oak beam which supports the living room floor that had some woodworm damage to the sap wood at one end of the beam.

Basically you sandwich the bad end of the beam between two slabs of oak or Douglas fir that help to take the load. I’ll post photos if I can figure how to upload photos from an iPhone.

17. Liquid_Entity

Soldato

Not myself but finally the carpet fitters have done the lounge. Last week they did the loft conversion, stairs and landing and my office space in the same carpet.

[​IMG]

Now just waiting on the silver/grey sofa and armchair to arrive and this room is done

18. divuk83

Wise Guy

Made a few xmas presents out of some scrap wood I had in the shed. Quite pleased with the result.

Dave

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. theone8181

Soldato

Did some boarding above utility for storage, first time I've used loft legs, not sure if trust standing in them also realised maybe my dad was right about wearing a facemask as I did have a bit of a coughing fit:p. Also built a shoe storage cupboard which looks quite smart.

20. Ahleckz

Capodecina

Tried to install a new light in the bedroom. I should have learnt when I tried to change the light in the living room three months ago. Once I unscrew the existing rose and met with more wires than expected i bottle it. So I called an electrician and they’ve quoted me £50 for installation of both.

Got herringbone laminate put down in both bedrooms, going to try and laminate the storm door flooring with the oft cuts...