What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Man job for today, I started fitting some of those lights in the garage, only managed an hour so they're not wired in yet. Does wearing a bike helmet with mouldy straps count? (I must have a sweaty head).

Soldato
Had a rustic shed that had desintegrated and a compost heap that was out of control down the garden below greenhouse.

Screenshot-20210403-093059-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

So we pulled down, took in the back of car to tip.
Decided we don't need any more outdoor storage so another seating area when we wander down garden, tonne of plum slate 100 quid plus free driftwood.
Old table but we cut corners off (painted better than pic now.
IMG-20210401-161554.jpg

My ex made me a copper water fountain so I rigged up solar for it, nice relaxing sounds

IMG-20210401-161457.jpg

The twig there will soon have massive leaves on, can't remember name but it's world's fastest growing iirc
Ordered bulk granite also so used for bbq area and my parking bit at top.
table and benches made from old water tank, my ex again she also does sculpture ect

Screenshot-20210403-101557-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The Mrs and kids have just ordered some fertilised duck eggs for our broody hens to hatch

Looked at duck houses and the price for what you get is eye watering. Luckily hadn't taken all the timber from under the old shed to the skip. With that and the old fence panels the builder has put in our skip I reckon I can cobble something together.

Made a start from this

IMG-20210403-135557.jpg

IMG-20210403-135600.jpg

IMG-20210403-135606.jpg

Got the frame built

IMG-20210403-153346.jpg

And a ply base on

IMG-20210403-162251.jpg

Going to frame out for a door tomorrow and then use the feather board from the fence panels to clad the sides and roof. But that's tomorrow :D

Soldato
Painted both sides of the fence today. Just the gate to finish off tomorrow.

Excuse the small tin but it was bought during the first lockdown when everyone had the same idea and supplies were scarce, onto the second tin already. :p

1617511358.jpg

Soldato
I've been making a side gate the past few days. We've got a weird side bit to our place so I had to make a fence panel as well. I wanted the gate to be able to swing 180° so it can be pushed open from either side, but this makes hinging a pain without leaving a huge gap. I have a plan though, but it involves bending a right angle into a hinge plate...

Also as it was made from T+G cladding and studwork wood I've had to paint it. Wife picked up some slate ronseal for free but I think it's about 10 years old and has separated weirdly. I'm three coats in now though and it's looking good. Mixed it up with a tent peg in the end of my drill. :D

Soldato
Finished the duck house

IMG-20210404-154304.jpg

IMG-20210404-154248.jpg

Pretty pleased with it - cost me £20 odd quid for two lengths of 50*50mm timber, a pair of hinges, a bolt latch and selection of screw :D

The other side is clad the same as the front, back and roof. Decided to hinge this end so it can be opened a d easilly swept / cleaned out and the bedding changed

Soldato
From this ...

b74i7DF.jpg
To this ...
ubgkO66.jpg

Hopefully this will serve as a proper retaining wall compared to the previous cowboy effort, which had rotted to nothing in about 6 years, don't know who or what firm did it as it was like that before moving in.

Eventually concrete flat top edging will sit just before the concrete posts/gravel board forming a small trench for decorative gravel to sit covering it and forming a 7" border.

Soldato
One side of my garden has wooden fence that us direct into the ground. Parts have started going 'squishy when it eventually goes ill put some concrete blocks in the bottom. One thing I'm not sure how to solve, is that our shed has wooden 'skids' that are part of the vase. They are rotten but I don't know what the best way is of having a shed. The skids are on a concrete pad, but I believe it's it's slightly dished so water pools a it. I know the best way would be to empty the shed and move it to redo it, but it's 8 X 10 foot and likely to fall apart. I'm still working on fitting those lights though, I've got them up and tacked some cable round but I'm just not getting time to do it (kids wanted to go geocaching this afternoon).

Soldato
From this ...

Eventually concrete flat top edging will sit just before the concrete posts/gravel board forming a small trench for decorative gravel to sit covering it and forming a 7" border.

Excellent job, where did you get them from? Just for future reference.

Fitted some "perfect fit" blinds to my daughters' rooms

Very high quality of finish you've achieved, very impressed by this too and will be taking note for a future project. Any chance of a link?

Soldato
Got some stealth mounts for my dewalt tools, finally up on the shelf a bit more organised and taking up some less space.
Test fitted them, lined them up, test fit the location, test located and then did a pilot hole for the self tapping screws to fit. Test fit the tool and happy where sits.

Back
Top Bottom