1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What "man jobs" have you done today?

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by jaybee, 18 Aug 2012.

1. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

Adjusted the gate so it latches better and fitted a bolt and padlock for better security. Also did a bit of weeding on the block paved driveway. Annoying how fast they come back.

2. Pigeon_Killer

Caporegime

Spent 4 hours scraping out cracks in a bedroom chimney breast and have only done about half so far. The smaller cracks are visible to the eye but you can't feel them with your finger and the scraper was too thick to get in to them so I had to resort to a Stanley knife. Now wondering whether they're too small to worry about and I should just paint over the rest.

Got a few of the same size on my bedroom chimney breast as an example of the size.

[​IMG]

3. theone8181

Soldato

I'd have been tempted to just scape filler over the top and see how it goes.

4. Pigeon_Killer

Caporegime

Thanks. I'll give that a try but I'm not sure it'll get in to the cracks they're so fine. Almost looks like lines of damp rather than cracks, in some places, but the Stanley knife did seem to follow the path of the lines.

5. Buffman

Sgarrista

Id Stanley knife that then use red devil foam filler.
    Just done similar in my new (to me) house.

I fitted a new humidistat fan today after work in my bathroom. No idea why people cheap out with a £10 rattly fan but hey....

6. potatolord

Hitman

I have finally been shamed into starting cutting the laurel trees (they were bushes when we moved in) at the end of the garden, using a bow saw. Today I spent an hour cutting my way in.

The plan is to thin out the branches within easy reach before moving onto the main trunks. I'm dumping the cut branches onto the bramble patch to dry prior to burning them. I'm pretty sure I'll regret that, but...

The laurels cover an area of around 10m x 6m and are around 4 or 5m high, so I will be at this for a while.

7. {SAS}TB

Soldato

Tools out !

[​IMG]

Bit of fettling on the duck house I built a few weeks back

The whole end opens like a big door for cleaning

[​IMG]

With a bit of space

[​IMG]

Were moving the ducklings in but want to separate them from the chickens at the moment so but a run in for them

[​IMG]

Door opens into the run

[​IMG]

With a little ramp to help them get in and out

[​IMG]

Heating brooder is going in along with their food / water and a load of cosy bedding

[​IMG]

8. theone8181

Soldato

Good work, how long till they can be in a pancake in hoi soi sauce:D.

9. {SAS}TB

Soldato

Given my daughter's now refuse to eat duck it could be some time :D

10. Delvis

Caporegime

Moved the shed, quite literally, two straps under it and four people, moved it across the bog at the back of the garden so we can take the slabs up.

Really need some dry weather now otherwise can't level the mud to put the patio vase down etc. Etc.

11. Razor-BladE

Mobster

Didn't want to start a new thread for such a small question, but what kind of isolation valve do people recommend for standard copper pipes? Repressurised the boiler today and the cold water feed valve has a small leak (1 drop every few seconds).
    I assume it's just a case of stopping the water into the house, run the taps, then should be ok to take off the isolation valve?
    Just want something decent and reliable. Thanks.

12. theone8181

Soldato

The ones I've got in my house are just simple isolation ones and they work fine. I'm sure one side is compression the other is onto some flexi pipe.

13. b0rn2sk8

Sgarrista

It will be a slightly more complicated job. You’ll need to drain down the boiler/central heating loop enough so the level is below the valance before you take it off.

You’ll want to top up the inhibitor when you come to refill it.

14. Razor-BladE

Mobster

Just read that after taking off the valve. I don't even know what any of that means.. :eek: Other than replacing a bathroom tap, that's as far as my knowledge goes.

I bought a 15mm Pegler isolation valve from Screwfix and just tried to put it on, but it's too big by a tiny bit! Slips right off! :confused::confused:

15. Delvis

Caporegime

Aren't plumbing measurements a bit off compared to normal? :p swear I've seen that somewhere haha

16. Razor-BladE

Mobster

Ohhhh don't worry. I'm an idiot, just needed to hold the valve in place with another wrench and tighten it down... :rolleyes:

How tight should I be making it?

Edit: Everything seems to be in order! Glad I didn't have to call someone in to what is a pretty simple job.

Last edited: 17 May 2021
  17. roadie

Mobster

Over the weekend I finished my project for this latest lockdown; fully painting the inside of my garage. This took a long time, as I only did one coat of paint per wall or per half of the floor per weekend.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Each wall received two coats of masonry paint (the first watered down, the second neat). The floor and first row of concrete blocks below the DPC received 3 coats of floor paint (the first diluted with white spirit, the two following coats neat).

I am really happy with the result!

18. Delvis

Caporegime

19. Pigeon_Killer

Caporegime

Anyone used Make Good Joint Filler? Ran out of Polyfilla on Saturday so bought this at my local Screwfix. Applied it over some small cracks and some bits of peeled paint I had feathered and prepped on Saturday evening and came to sand it just a minute ago only to find out it literally brushes off with a soft brush. Not a single bit has stuck and it appears to have turned in to dust that can be blown off the wall. The last bit of Polyfilla I applied to the same wall is rock solid.

20. b0rn2sk8

Sgarrista

Can’t say I have.

I’ve used the No Nonsense all purpose and fine surface ready mixed fillers before and not had any issues with either.