What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Ohhhh don't worry. I'm an idiot, just needed to hold the valve in place with another wrench and tighten it down... :rolleyes:

How tight should I be making it?

Edit: Everything seems to be in order! Glad I didn't have to call someone in to what is a pretty simple job.
Easily done as there are some metal fittings that are push on.

Soldato
Cleared out the remainder of the kicthen in preparation for the ceiling coming down tomorrow

Taped the units up

IMG-20210517-202100.jpg

IMG-20210517-202604.jpg

And moved the fridge into the hall

IMG-20210517-201051.jpg

Soldato
Popeye:cry:. I realised he'd bought ones that have an olive, I was just pointing out there are some metal ones that are push fit. I'm such on the waste side they're all push fit as they're generally large bore plastic. I've used my isolators as a regulator on one of the cold taps as the flow was much higher than the hot, and tended to spray everything if you crack the tap open fully.

Soldato
are you planning on keeping the kitchen? Looks very dated compared to the rest of the property! (doors /floors etc).

Are your doors from howdens? Looks nice.

(i dont mean that in a negative way!)

Ha ha no it's fine :p

Yes, full new kitchen

The ceiling is coming down to first fix the lights and power but we are retaining these few cupboards until we have to give them up and they'll be stripped out.:D

Associate
Nothing much but got and put together my ochre window seat, also I thought this bed sheet would match but its quite different:

sFpENFA.jpg

Ugly radiator concealed too, but need some matching pillow and cushion covers.

Hmmm can you not get pillow and cushion covers together in a set? I can only find one or the other.

Associate
You do realise you shouldn't ram furniture against a radiator like that?

I left a gap, its not making direct contact.

Got a bunch of contrasting sage and chartreuse green covers ordered.

Theres a plank of wood that was left over from my wardrobes being used as a radiator shelf too that stops the pillows making direct contact.

Last edited:
Soldato
So... my boiler problem from the previous page hasn't quite been sorted. Didn't seem to be getting any hot water today so checked the boiler and back to zero pressure.
Connected filling loops, repressurised and when I went to take the filling loop off, water spurting out of the non return valve from the boiler side! Quickly done up the filling loop again and seems to be holding ok.

Question 1: I didn't seem to have an issue a few days ago when repressurising and taking off the filling loop; no sign of leaking. Is this still likely the cause of lost pressure? I couldn't see any water/damp patch around/under the valve.
Question 2: Is it still ok to use the boiler like this temporarily?
Question 3: I assume I'll now have to drain the entire system to replace this valve?
Question 4: Edit: Is it worth putting an isolation valve after the double check valve? So that in future if the double check valve leaks again, you don't have the drain the system to replace it? Or would it not work like that?

Hopefully after this, I'll be problem free.

Last edited:
Associate
hmm refitted 3 fence panels the wind last night removed.....bracketed to keep them in the concrete uprights found another concrete post cracked so thats another job for a warmer day:( ohh and for some reason had to refit the glass in front of a halogen outside light that came loose last night .

Soldato
Lots of paint (dulux washable sapphire salute & dulux pure brilliant white. Bedec Aqua Advanced Satin Paint for gloss)

Just need to fix the radiators, doors and a new window in this bedroom... Also might need to repaint some when an RSJ later props the whole house as I get openings underneath

When they extended the house (and this bedroom) they replaced one bedroom but not the other :confused:

The before

This needed lots of sealants and fillers to sort the various cracks in plaster and ceiling

0Rsl8Th.jpg

The after

9zV1sGj.jpg

EEkfH60.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice and neat @Buffman. I am not normally a fan of dark colours on the walls but how you've done it with the white really makes the room pop!
Thanks! The idea was to detract from the other height differentials and have hard wearing paint lower down... Height differentials
  • RSJ for extension and 2 ceiling heights (minor difference)
  • Hide the difference in height of 2 windows (and their curtain poles)
  • Detract from poor plastering of the top of the window in the walk in wardrobe (leans to one side :(). Was tempted to put hardboard on one side of it and filler to neaten up, but thought I might balls it up so haven't changed it yet.

Pics of some of the cracks. Quite pleased with how I tidied up the walk in wardrobe

Rta9IRf.jpg
78moqCF.jpg tGfUCT7.jpg

Soldato
Dang they are some big cracks! Hopefully they don't come back. I've never seen a window in a wardrobe before but I like it! I've never used that filer but may well have to give it a go, I see it recommended a lot on here. I am a toupret man normally.

Back
Top Bottom