What "man jobs" have you done today?

Don
Prepared the back garden (new build so just a pile of mud) ready to receive some turf today.

It was back-breaking work pulling all the weeds and rubble out of the ground, the top soil they provided looks reasonable though.

Soldato
You know what’s a terrible idea at 7pm at night. Deciding that it’s an ideal time to reroof the shed.

Have pulled most of the felt off to get an idea of how the osb board is underneath.
Rotten is the answer unfortunately. Was very scary balancing on the roof to get to the apex point. Having a 14x8 shed sucks when you have no help!

Get those metal roof sheets and just put them on top of osb boards - they will soon dry out and stop noise when it rains.
If my felt ever goes that is what I shall be doing - They sell then not far from us and cut then to size.

Soldato
Is that something necessary? Due to the gap the shed is in that's going to be quite difficult to do.

I did post tounge in cheek due to the lack of room to fit it, - I would always put gutters on sheds as I have seen what damage can be done to them due to water splash but there if it had been mine I would have built shed in the open first then put a few roof lathes down and slid the shed down alley.
:)

Man of Honour
I did post tounge in cheek due to the lack of room to fit it, - I would always put gutters on sheds as I have seen what damage can be done to them due to water splash but there if it had been mine I would have built shed in the open first then put a few roof lathes down and slid the shed down alley.
:)
There's only me and the mrs, I'm not sure we could have moved it. Unfortunately there isn't much room at the front. I just need someone light enough to go on the roof, I'm about 100 kg so probably too heavy to go on the roof.

Associate
Done re-wire over last 3 days, I did all prep ie chasing out and electrician fitted everything. Went for these new Kinetic wireless switch's one pad with a long press to dim, saved chasing out all the light sockets as well. Three outside double sockets and 2 spots lights as well.

This Monday ripping out all central heating pipework in loft to install new Worcester Greenstar 8000 Life 30kW Combination boiler and pipe work, then relay all the lagging

uUjEEAu.jpg
tZZlral.jpg
uVBFPTh.jpg
bIPjmKj.jpg
iBFW7F9.jpg

Caporegime
Wire brushed off a load of rust from a 10ft washing line pole before painting it. Took two hours and have the second one to do this afternoon. My arm feels dead though and sunbathing currently feels like a better use of my time.

Soldato
Done re-wire over last 3 days, I did all prep ie chasing out and electrician fitted everything. Went for these new Kinetic wireless switch's one pad with a long press to dim, saved chasing out all the light sockets as well. Three outside double sockets and 2 spots lights as well.

This Monday ripping out all central heating pipework in loft to install new Worcester Greenstar 8000 Life 30kW Combination boiler and pipe work, then relay all the lagging

What did the prep work entail/how much of a PITA was it? We probably need to do a significant amount of wiring, and am trying to work out the trade-off between doing a lot of the prep work ourselves vs. just letting the builder + electrician do it.

Job from me: Mounted the ring doorbell. Now to work out the movement sensitivity....

Caporegime
Finished the path upto the patio, was meant to make it really shallow by the time it got to the door but apparently not.

I'm now in two minds whether to rip it up (circa ten 600*900 slabs) and try again, or just leave the gap between the back door and slabs and ensure there's some decorative stone in there. :(

Soldato
Finished the path upto the patio, was meant to make it really shallow by the time it got to the door but apparently not.

I'm now in two minds whether to rip it up (circa ten 600*900 slabs) and try again, or just leave the gap between the back door and slabs and ensure there's some decorative stone in there. :(
Pics to help/make fun of?

Associate
What did the prep work entail/how much of a PITA was it? We probably need to do a significant amount of wiring, and am trying to work out the trade-off between doing a lot of the prep work ourselves vs. just letting the builder + electrician do it.

Job from me: Mounted the ring doorbell. Now to work out the movement sensitivity....

I chased all the channels for the sockets, plus all the copper pipes for the central heating (7 big verticals and 2 horizontal radiators) There must have been about 32 full room height channels, which I cut with my Metabo chaser. It cost me about £430 but has been well worth it, saved about 3 days of labour and cuts very neat channels which are easy to skim up.

The down side was that mines a double brick wall with no breeze blocks so it was very hard going pushing the Metabo, plus it fills my 30L Titan hoover bags about every 4 channels. But its almost dustless just bigger debris falls to the ground. But the cost saving and neatness out ways the negatives.
Also using it to score channels in the bathroom in concrete for wet room.

I also ripped all the pipe work and electric cables out and sited everything myself, may have been easier to pay someone but the cost and mess wasn't worth it for me.

gE2ndlt.jpg
AAOspHT.jpg
eiPJL7b.jpg
YhF84PE.jpg

Soldato
Tidied the garage from

IMG-20210717-094935.jpg

To

IMG-20210717-141931.jpg

Soldato
Cleaned up the extractor fan in the house I'm house-sitting. It was making a horrible racket rubbing on the ducting so I created a cardboard tube to hold it open. It'll work for a week or two til they sort it properly. I just want to wee with the lights on!

Back
Top Bottom