What PC components should i upgrade to run latest game on ultra/60fps

Associate
Hi all

Currently looking to upgrade my my PC rig to run the latest games on ultra settings.
I'm running:
GPU:GTX1060 6gb
CPU: Intel i5-4670k
MBO: GA Z87-HD3
RAM 240-Pin DDR3 16gb
SSD 840 EVO 120g running windows 7
Power supply: 530W 80+ Certified ATX
My case is: Cool master N600

The GPU is only a year old but the rest of my PC is over 4 years old. Basically wanting to upgrade everything including CPU cooler and windows. I'm hoping there is no need to change my case? I would like to achieve smooth,ultra settings and high FPS in competitive gaming.

I have a budget of £800

I really appreciate and comments and advice in advance

thank you.

Soldato
There are always one or two Ultra setting options that don't do much else than bring a system to its knees. Need to be selective.

What you want for competitive gaming is a higher refresh rate monitor (144Hz+) and a more powerful GPU to get more frames out of it, although with a GTX 1060 you could use 1080p 144Hz at Medium settings to get those frames. Competitive and Ultra don't really go together. But sure you'd be able to have them higher with a more powerful GPU.

CPU overclocked? Have an aftermarket cooler or stock Intel one?

Associate
You can always grab a 1070 and grab the I7 that fit your socket, give it an overclock and sell off the I5 and 1060 this gives you money to upgrade monitor there if you want

Associate
OP
There are always one or two Ultra setting options that don't do much else than bring a system to its knees. Need to be selective.

What you want for competitive gaming is a higher refresh rate monitor (144Hz+) and a more powerful GPU to get more frames out of it, although with a GTX 1060 you could use 1080p 144Hz at Medium settings to get those frames. Competitive and Ultra don't really go together. But sure you'd be able to have them higher with a more powerful GPU.

CPU overclocked? Have an aftermarket cooler or stock Intel one?

CPU is not overclocked and using stock cooler. I'm total noob when is come to overclocking =]. My screen refresh rate won't go higher than 60 in monitor settings?

Associate
OP
You can always grab a 1070 and grab the I7 that fit your socket, give it an overclock and sell off the I5 and 1060 this gives you money to upgrade monitor there if you want

Monitor worth upgrading? what would you suggest? This was my original plan https://uk.************.com/list/42KX7h hoping this kinda of money would be worth spending with what I'm running currently

thank you for the advice

Associate
Monitor worth upgrading? what would you suggest? This was my original plan

thank you for the advice

If like your saying about competitive gaming you really need to bump your monitor from 60hz to 144hz. I have a 24” AOC monitor that when I purchased it was a great addition to playing games on such an improvement you can shell out roughly £220 for one upwards really depending on size, if you click on the monitor section on Ocuk website it gives you the chance to click on 144hz monitors

Associate
OP
If like your saying about competitive gaming you really need to bump your monitor from 60hz to 144hz. I have a 24” AOC monitor that when I purchased it was a great addition to playing games on such an improvement you can shell out roughly £220 for one upwards really depending on size, if you click on the monitor section on Ocuk website it gives you the chance to click on 144hz monitors

Thank you, I'll look into that.

Associate
OP
The Ryzen 1700 will not give you faster performance at 1080p. I'd look for a used i7-4770K or i7-4790K and would pay £100-150 (some out there are over-priced). Get a good cooler that will fit in the N600 case and overclock it, and get a faster monitor. Can sell the 4670K.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £79.85
(includes shipping: £9.90)

But wont the Ryzen boost my performance in games that are CPU heavy? i.e. "bf1 or PUBG". So the part list I put together isn't worth upgrading to as it wont make a significant difference?

Thank you for the replies and advice much appreciated.

Soldato
But wont the Ryzen boost my performance in games that are CPU heavy? i.e. "bf1 or PUBG".

Only compared to the existing 4670K. A four core/eight thread i7-7700K beats the Ryzen 1700 in BF1 (1080p, 1440p). The Ryzen has the slight advantage in games like Civ IV (if I have the version right) but in most games the four core/eight thread Intels have the advantage.

So the part list I put together isn't worth upgrading to as it wont make a significant difference?

Correct. Especially with DDR4 costing a bomb. All that money for no increase in average performance. Ryzen 1600/1600X/1700 would be a good choice if you had no system or perhaps a different system, but given the platform you have, and with 16GB mem already, best route is find used 4770K/4790K, cooler and overclock, and faster monitor. And then with the new monitor you see whether you're happy with the settings needed to get ~144 fps, and if you're not then you can think of a GPU upgrade to get you more fps with higher settings.

Thank you for the replies and advice much appreciated.

You're welcome.

Associate
Buy a GTX 1080 that's half the job done.

Might want a bigger SSD for storing your favourite games, won't improve frame rates but I like the quick loading of levels.

Pick up a decent air cooler like a Noctua or Be Quiet Dark Rock for example, or go for an AIO if you fancy one. Overclocking isn't difficult, just watch a few online videos of your motherboard and processor and go for a modest overclock.

If that's enough then you're golden, if not you could use the GTX 1060 to pay for a used i7 4790k which is still a wonderful chip.

Soldato
best route is find used 4770K/4790K, cooler and overclock, and faster monitor.

would the i7-4790k be compatible with my MBO?

Yes as long as you update the BIOS before fitting it (or if you already updated BIOS at some point and the BIOS version is compatible with Devil's Canyon like 4790K). I find these are more expensive than the similar (practically identical) 4770K, which has the same performance clock for clock.

Back
Top Bottom