What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Soldato
yesterday we went to Marcus Wareing for lunch, it's often a way to get to top end restaurants at a reasonable price

unfortunately it escalated rather quickly :eek:

Posting bills in the context of whether the meal was VFM is one thing (although who really cares...), posting them in the context of "look how much we spent" is just a bit crass. In my opinion, naturally.

Don
Was just taking the **** out of the fact it got a bit silly

I had previously asked on here of a high end places that did good value lunch deals. My point being that what looks a good deal in basic terms soon turns out not to be. Of course there was cheaper wine but not that much cheaper tbh. Cheapest by the 125ml glass was about 15 quid

And no it wasn't VFM

Last edited:
Soldato
Was last week floating around germany / belguim for the F1

Hotel am Tiergarten owned by the Schmitz family

Steak on a Hot Stone to cook to your perfection, was so good went back two days later (both are sirloin )

I can't help thinking the second one is a little underdone (Well for me anyway).

Had awesome 500g dry aged rib eye on the bone from a French bistro, Maison du Steak in Cambridge on Sunday. It was cooked rare. Really melt in the mouth good.

Soldato
I can't help thinking the second one is a little underdone (Well for me anyway).

Had awesome 500g dry aged rib eye on the bone from a French bistro, Maison du Steak in Cambridge on Sunday. It was cooked rare. Really melt in the mouth good.

not sure if serious

the idea of the hot stone circa 280 degrees is you cook it to taste. You need no oil, the steak was the best I ever had

Soldato
not sure if serious

the idea of the hot stone circa 280 degrees is you cook it to taste. You need no oil, the steak was the best I ever had

I've not had a "cook it yourself" steak before, I assumed the stones were just to keep everything warm. :o
Surely once the steak is to your liking it's going to carry on cooking after that if you leave it on the stone. I guess you get a plate to eat it off.

Soldato
I can’t explain it but it just comes of beautiful

I just cut it half once near and cooked it when needed. I am tempted to buy a stone for Home you need no oil or anything it was sublime

I know it seems a faf but it genuinely isn’t it really was the real deal

Last edited:
Soldato
Was just taking the **** out of the fact it got a bit silly

I had previously asked on here of a high end ace that did good value lunch deals. My point being that what looks a good deal in basic terms soon turns out not to be. Of course there was cheaper wine but not that much cheaper tbh. Cheapest by the 125ml glass was about 15 quid

And no it wasn't VFM

Fair response. I still think high end restaurant lunch deals can be good but just swerve the wine.

Don
Hawksmoor rang earlier, offered free Sunday lunch for 2 and a bottle of wine

Nice of them but as I live 140 miles away probably won't get used

Soldato
At least they got in touch with you. Manchester House asked me to provide contact details after I left a middling review and I've heard nothing back. Very unprofessional. I'm not expecting anything, I genuinely wanted to give some constructive feedback!

Associate
vet4eh.jpg

10/10 would recommend to all. Had to bring my own rock from outside though.

Jim-Carey-Laugh.gif

Soldato
Manchester House came back to me in the end and had a good conversation with the manager, so can’t fault them for that. He was very open and I do understand the challenges they face by trying to appeal to as wide a range of people as possible, which is understandable given they have a business to protect. He seemed to take my comments on board and likewise me from him - definitely a positive experience.

Soldato
The Fish Bar in Newquay, Cornwall. It's a small and modern eating space that only lacks a sea view. The staff are friendly and helpful, the food is fantastic and good value.

We shared three tapas dishes: Scallops with chorizo, Crab Claws in browned garlic butter, and Lobster and Prawn in some other butter. We then shared the fillet of fish festival, which included a large piece of hake, four mackerel fillets and a megrim sole, all in a crab and pimenton sauce, which we had with a veg side. We glugged a bottle of sauvignon blanc and the bill came to £63!!!

It really is worth a visit if you like seafood and you're in Mewquay.

Back
Top Bottom