What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Soldato
Yesterday I had a very tasty lunch at Brasserie Barbes in Paris. The foie gras terrine was superb, incredibly rich. Main coruse was confit (not candied as the English menu says) lamb shoulder with fregola. Yum. Yum. Yum.

Service was very typical for Paris - crap. After I got the bill it took almost 20 minutes to pay and it was only when I stopped a waiter (he was very busy rushing about doing very little) that I assumed the lunch was free judging by the number of times he walked past the table with a credit card machine without taking payment.

Soldato
Another great spot to report: Mackerel Sky in Newlyn. It's another modern place that has bar and stools instead of individual tables... and no reservations! They do taster plates rather than starters and mains (two or three per person is good) and they fire out the food very quickly. I quite like this modern style.

The food is fantastic, with classics like salt and pepper squid with wasabi mayo, or scallops with chorizo, or moules in wine and cream. The white fish fillet (changes daily, we had hake) with samphire and caper butter was nom, as was the seabass with mint and caper relish.

When you are thirty seconds from England's busiest fishing harbour it's got to be good. Deffo worth a try.

Nathan Outlaw on Friday!

Soldato
We went to Restaurant Nathan Outlaw in Port Isaac for lunch. It's a beautiful place and the food was stunning. It started with a light touch and slowly built up to a tumultuous crescendo of nomminess. The wine pairings were equally fantastic with the standout being the SA Pinot Noir which went with the best dish, the Turbot.

View from dining area:

wQXfrr1.jpg

Menu:

bokj6qC.jpg.png

Canapes, cheezy biccies were so good:

bX4yUjF.jpg

Smooth-shell native oyster, which we had looked for elsewhere but couldn't find. Came as a surprise and was more minerally and salty than the rock oysters. And with a smoother texture. Plump and sweet:

tJjCsUz.jpg

Mackerel, light and delish:

seqIOFw.jpg

Monkfish, subtle and interesting with a nice crunch from the smoked almonds:

GOe9ZYy.jpg

From here the flavours started to get punchier. The scallops came from heaven. The oxtail seemed to have been cooked six times and was unctious and lovely. The chilli oil went really well with the wine match.

FrRgrwN.jpg

Salted cod with parsley dumplings, quite simple but perfectly done:

YYiHLgK.jpg

The star of the show was the turbot and ceps with Pinot Noir:

oiQ5EaY.jpg

The tart with cider apple sorbet was light and autumnal:

sS77XKx.jpg

And, because you do, coffee and armagnac and some sweet treats:

I4bAGlH.jpg

It is expensive, frighteningly so, but undoubtedly worth it if you can. Most highly recommended.

Don
went to fogo de chao in Philadelphia last night. one of those Brazilian meat on sticks places :p gorgeous food but far too expensive for the type of place

Soldato
We went to Restaurant Nathan Outlaw in Port Isaac for lunch. It's a beautiful place and the food was stunning. It started with a light touch and slowly built up to a tumultuous crescendo of nomminess. The wine pairings were equally fantastic with the standout being the SA Pinot Noir which went with the best dish, the Turbot.

View from dining area: "Removed Pic"
I love Restaurant Nathan Outlaw, it's one of my favourite restaurants although I've only eaten there in the evening, so I've never be able to appreciate the view. The fact that the food was stunning doesn't surprise me at all.

Gonna update the wine thread soon about the pinot here and the Camel Valley Vineyard.
Damon, the sommelier, was fantastic and we loved the wine pairings he presented with our meals. Of course being South African, he has a few special bottles from there.

We also did a tour of Camel Valley, and it was good to meet Bob who is one of the owners and former head wine maker. It's interesting to compare their setup, outlook and vision on making wine compared to that of somewhere like Nyetimber.

Soldato
On Saturday night we ate at Hawksmoor in Manchester. Apart from the usual woeful lack of seasoning on the greens the meal was superb. The steak (I was a greedy git and had a 500g chateaubriand to myself) was absolutely perfect.

We were meant to be eating at Kerridge's Bar & Grill on Saturday evening but our plans have changed so I've just called to cancel the reservation.

Associate
Have had Hawksmoor Manchester Sunday lunch about 6 or 7 times over the years, and found it dipping towards the last few. Went last weekend and glad to say they served probably the best roast I've had anywhere. Could not fault it (except £8.50 for 6 rasperries and creme fraiche was taking the urine a bit).

Soldato
It's been quite some time since I had a Hawksmoor Sunday Roast. I thnk the huge whack of roasted garlic is a bit out of place but I'm yet to have a Sunday Roast there and not enjoy it. Next time we'll go for the slow roast prime rib.

Soldato

Menu:

bokj6qC.jpg.png

Honestly blurring the price is way more prentenious than not, although the food looked great. £140 + £75 for the wine?

Soldato
Trying to find alternatives to Hawksmoor and Goodmans for steak in London, so last night we went to Omnino in Leadenhall (near Aldgate). Very good selection of steak, which was exceptionally tasty. Sides were good too although not the best chips.
Another trip to Omnino last night, for more very good steak. Had the tira de ancho, 500g of perfectly cooked Argentinian ribeye. Really good!

Soldato
Not a very posh place but an old pub - I had a burning hot sirloin steak - literally - It was served with onions on a sizzler cast plate on a wooden base (should have twigged) ??????? - I didn't know - waitress put it down - I grabbed the plate to bring it closer and am now sitting here with two white burn blisters on my thumb and finger. - It didn't say on menu or elsewhere that the cast plate was put over the grill like a cast frying pan - onions were cooked in it and steak dropped on top and then brought straight to the table. - Was in effect touching a fresh weld to see if it was hot.

Steak was nice at medium rare and all the other bits were good - all plates were cleaned of everything - Good job I am not shooting this weekend as it's my trigger finger.

Soldato
Been meaning to try out some of the Starred restaurants in town for a while. Had the tasting menu at Yoshi last night. 3 appetizers, soup, sashimi, sushi, fish, meat, 2 desserts. Sat at the sushi bar so watching all the prep which I like.

Really amazing food, best sushi I've had, including in Japan! With wine and sake though the bill was eye-watering, will go back and just have a beer, miso and sushi set next time.

Soldato
Posting the price on a menu is not the sort of thing I was getting at at all...

Good, shall we stick to the restaurants and food, then?

In other news, Northcote have announced their Obsession 2019 Chefs. I quite fancy Norbert Niederkofler and his five course taster menu. Might make it a Christmas prezzy for the missus. If I can get through early enough on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom