What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Associate
The Box Tree, Ilkley, West Yorkshire. Lost its Michelin Star last year, a couple of years after the long-time head chef Simon Gueller left. He came back because the loss 'awoke' something in him. Quaint setting and decor, a little old-fashioned but not overly so. It was quiet, the only other diners (we could see) were a loud table of four seated right next to us. We had the Gourmand Menu, I had the wine flight, and she drove :cool:

Canapes served in the lounge next to a Yorkshire G&T. Parmesan sable with goats cheese, chive and onion at the front, and squid ink crisp with cod roe emulsion, asparagus emulsion, and roe powder. Both delish, with the cod roe tipping the scales of flavour and winning by a head:

neSCjzW.jpg

Next, at the table and bathed in evening sun pouring through the window, the amuse bouche, cucumber jelly with pickled cucumber balls and smoked salmon, cauliflower foam/spume/spaff/whevs, and dried cod roe powder. This was surprisingly delish and had lots of textures and flavours which worked best when you had a bit of everything. I'm not normally big on foam but it really maxed out the cauliflower flavour. Nice:

JUBP0Xf.jpg

The starter was a heritage tomato salad with feuille de brique pastry tube and parmesan custard with vinegar sorbet, lovage, sorrel, and sea truffle (the little black splodges). Amazing balance of sweet, sour, and saltiness. Crunch, softness, and creaminess. Perfect salad in every way. Amazing. Came with a Gewurtztraminer from SW France (unusually, normally from NE France/Germany). Dark yellow because of three years conditioning (not in oak) but very good choice with the salad. More minerally than normal Gewurz. Note the fresh sourdough in the back with marmite butter and local butter. Nom.

VMm4z9Q.jpg

They called it 'intermediate' and I call it the fish course. Scallop with apple and truffle, ham beignet, apple gel, and celeriac puree. The ham was fantastic but could have been a bit more generous with it, like the scallop. The missus always says they want to leave you wanting more. I certainly always do. Tasted fabulous, although the truffle was a little underwhelming. I suppose it must be from Aus at this time of year. Came with a Viognier-Roussanne from SA, which had light oaking and was peppery and floral. Very good dish:

CakVLUE.jpg

The main was salt-aged beef fillet with marrow-crusted cheek, mushrooms, onions, and cabbage. UNBELIEVABLE. AMAZING. OMG. How can cabbage be so good? The beef was very tasty for fillet and the (again minimal) cheek with marrow was heavenly. The mushrooms were fab, cep puree, braised morel, and tiny pickled japanese things. The onions were lightly roasted. Served with a fabulous Malbec/Cab Sauv (75/25) from Argentina, which was classy and fruity with no woodiness. Can not recommend more highly.

qlSdBmC.jpg

Pre-dessert was for palate-cleansing. Apple jelly with apple chunks, calvados granita (smashing flavour) and a beautiful mint creme fraiche. Booyah, brap, etc.

knE7Ipb.jpg

Dessert was a mango souffle with lime zest, served with a tangy pash fruit sauce. Souffle was fluffy and well-riisen. Came with a not-sickly-sweet dessert wine from Portugal (based on Riesling!) which matched perfectly. I prefer fruity puds rather than over-sweet ones, so I was in heaven the two on this menu:

eFuivR6.jpg

Had coffee and armagnac (at the sommelier's recommendation), a high-end Tenareze (usually considered a poor man's armagnac) which was eye-wateringly good. They brought chocolates from a cigar box, and she did the arrangement, I promise (even though I would have if she hadn't). We had already eaten a few by this time:

xZy0KEW.jpg

In summary, all the dishes were 9.5/10 or better. The best were the salad starter and the beef main. Both were perfect. The rest were just a tiny notch down somehow, maybe 9.5/10. They will surely get their star back at some point. The staff were exceptional and the sommelier was French and knew everything. We could have talked for hours. Not the most expensive tasting menu at £80 and the wine is worth it at £45. We will be going back.

That food looks absolutely amazing. I pretty much never venture up to that area, but if I'm ever going to be passing by, I hope that chef is still there.

Soldato
I'll be in Glasgow in a couple of weeks so I've made a reservation at Six by Nico.

Need any other tips? I prefer his other place, 111 by Nico to be honest but the Six concept is good. Bilson Eleven is Glasgow's best fine dining restaurant, by a country mile. But if you want suggestions just tell me what you like (bar wise as well!) and I'll give you a good list.

Be aware, it's very very hard to find good service in Glasgow. We have good food, good drinks and good looking places but the service lets it all down all too often.

Soldato
Thanks but it's only a very short trip as I'm arriving on Wednesday evening and heading home Thursday afternoon. It's even shorter than planned as I won't get into Glasgow until 11pm so have cancelled my table at Six by Nico.

Soldato
Finally got on the PC to upload some pictures so:

The Fat Duck: (Spoilered due to size and also for those who plan to go and don't want anything spoiling)

FymQtlF.jpg

ZDojTd5.jpg

vB2ZokT.jpg
Lebkuchen - I was asked of fond memories as a child and visiting my uncle in Germany was something I remember fondly and the spices of Lebkuchen is something that always reminds me of it.

3Myoq7Y.jpg
Full English cereal - I forgot to take a picture of the 'Milk'

iAGWcFM.jpg
Sounds of the sea

vw8k8LB.jpg
Fish and Chips - not currently on the menu but my partner went last year with her parents and they asked if there were any dishes that stood out for her - this one did due to her dad being celiac they did a gluten-free version for him and its the first time he's been able to have fish and chips since he was a small child.

n45C4dI.jpg
Salmon and horseradish twister and Waldorf salad rocket

GAA5bPB.jpg
crab ice cream

lJUO1h5.jpg
unfortunately, I didn't take a pre photo of the crab before the sauce melted him.

LsoHs6F.jpg
super earthy log

iqqlipS.jpg
The Mad Hatters Tea Party

SrUSkV1.jpg

NEkm3vN.jpg
Snail porridge

3HUopIR.jpg
Duck at the Fat Duck

sdpoPd9.jpg

2wG8ntN.jpg

BtxwcMw.jpg

RSI4FhL.jpg

Not everything has a description and i forgot to take pictures of a few things but everything was amazing.

Soldato
Looks awesome, thanks for posting.

My stand out memories from my most recent trip there were:

Aerated beetroot - Wow! Such flavour.
Botrytis cinerea - One of the best desserts I've ever had.
The plate on your second photo - I fell in love with them and ended up getting a cup as a birthday present. Sadly it got broken and we couldn't get a pink version any more so I have a blue one now.

Soldato
Took my wife to the Ritz Restaurant last night for her birthday dinner. Stunning meal, including one of the best pieces of lobster I've had which paired beautifully with a glass of Le Petit Cheval Blanc 2016. How it only has 1 star is mystifying, it's comfortably better than many 2 star restaurants we've been to.

Soldato
Saturday night we ate at Salt in Stratford-upon-Avon and it was superb. This was our menu:

mpoEgPO.jpg

We chose the carrot (which I believe is the signature dish) and the duck. We also went with cheese and the wine pairings. All in, an excellent meal. Service was very good, friendly and chatty but they knew when to bugger off and leave us.

Soldato
Saturday night we ate at Le Gavroche. I can sum it up in one word - perfection! 10/10.

We went for the tasting menu with wine pairings and this was our menu:
HzYuK02.jpg

I don't think I can pick a favourite course, each was superb. The cheese trolley is a thing of beauty, it's huge! So much choice and the tastiest cheddar (aged 5 years) that I've ever had.

Just as we were finishing the pigeon course (which had unexpected foie gras - yum!) Michel Roux Jr came over to greet us. He seemed quite a different person than you see on the TV, he has a very serious persona on the TV but in person he was much more relaxed. He noticed that I had some pigeon sauce left on my plate and no means to mop it up so he went to get another piece of bread for me. Speaking of bread, the baguettes they have are divine.

I thought the service was going to be a bit formal and stuffy but it really wasn't. There's was good banter with one waiter in particular.

All in all, it was a faultless evening. Less expensive than I was expecting as I didn't realise that the menu prices include service. Without doubt we will go back here.

Soldato
It was a perfect evening. I had high expectations and they were surpassed.

Dress code is officially 'smart' with no sportswear or t-shirts. There was a chap there wearing jeans and a flap cap and he stuck out like a sore thumb. It used to be a requirement for men to wear jackets and ties but they dropped that requirement earlier this year.

Soldato
Tasting menu was £179/person. The normal wine pairing was £100/person (we went for that one) or there was a prestige pairing for £200/person. Water was £4.50/bottle.

With tasting menu. wine pairing, 3 bottles of water plus a glass of champagne and cocktail with the canapes the bill came to about £670.

Soldato
Tasting menu was £179/person. The normal wine pairing was £100/person (we went for that one) or there was a prestige pairing for £200/person. Water was £4.50/bottle.

With tasting menu. wine pairing, 3 bottles of water plus a glass of champagne and cocktail with the canapes the bill came to about £670.

thanks.....:eek::eek:

Soldato
Water was £4.50/bottle.
Should have asked for tap :p

The first Michelin starred place I went to they flippin' tried to add an extra bottle of water onto our bill didn't they. I'm sure it was an accident but I wasn't about to pay an extra £5 for no good reason :p We were nowhere near those prices though as it was a lunch offer.

I think I'd balk at that price for a meal, diminishing returns and all that. Glad you enjoyed it though, I'm sure it was divine and sometimes you should just spend money on whatever the heck you want!

Back
Top Bottom