What retro things have you done today?

Associate
Not done much retro activities lately, but i did rehouse this last night. Pretty beastly mini Win98 Box.

Xeon X3220 CPU
Asus P5PE-VM
512mb Corsair 3200 DDR
Sapphire Radeon X850XT Platinum
Vortex 2 Sound Card with Yamaha DB50XG
60 Gig SSD
Pioneer DVD
450 Watt Silverstone PSU

I need to make a slight mod to the PSU cut out as the plug outlet clashes with the case in the correct orientation.

This thing screams in Win98. Really overkill hahaha!

6nEXlDll.jpg

Soldato
Not done much retro activities lately, but i did rehouse this last night. Pretty beastly mini Win98 Box.

I'm going off Windows 98 builds a bit, in the last week or two I've set up and used 3 but I can't really think of a reason to leave them assembled - no W98 specific or DOS games (or hardware configs) are grabbing me at the moment.

I've still got the small p4 system going but it's on the shelf as just don't have a need /want for it. My XP PC stored permanently under the desk can play all the games I want for the minute.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm going off Windows 98 builds a bit, in the last week or two I've set up and used 3 but I can't really think of a reason to leave them assembled - no W98 specific or DOS games (or hardware configs) are grabbing me at the moment.

I've still got the small p4 system going but it's on the shelf as just don't have a need /want for it. My XP PC stored permanently under the desk can play all the games I want for the minute.

Oh i have a XP Box too, but i always have a Win98/DOS machine on the go. I have the Via C3 in the desktop case which does all my dos games and lower end Win98 stuff. The box above can rip through the higher end Win98 stuff.

This is the XP box. Used mainly for Outrun 2006, NFS Underground and Test Drive Unlimited.

wfUACeNl.jpg
Tdyg8uSl.jpg

Caporegime
Pretty much spot on with my score 10850 but that's with drivers 53.04 and an old bust up install of Win98. At 1470mhz i get 11327
I've just confirmed with the coolbits reghack (Powerstrip just causes my monitor to go to sleep :/) that the card is Ti4400 clocks of 275 core /275(550) memory. Going to see if it'll do Ti4600 speeds.

Soldato
They're not that tall but definitely could be described as a "wideboi". I've noted the sticker on the front finally - they'll be xeons.

ut62fs4.jpg

rrEBXGd.jpg

wMgqNDs.jpg

Geforce 3 ti 200 is my guess due to a lack of power connector. Both have 4GB of Rambus RAM. I've never messed with RAMBUS so this will keep my out of trouble for a while. The soundcard is an Audiophile 24/96 which coincedently I was looking at on eBay not that long ago.

They both have a few SCSI drives and controller card as you can see. Not really sure where to start in terms of taking them apart!

Soldato
Absolute mission to take apart, very solid. Didn't realise socket 604 (if that is what this is) the coolers are mounted to the case so you can't remove the motherboard with the case in place. PC number 1 actually has 2GB of Rambus RAM over 6 non matching modules and 2 blank sticks. It has 2x 2.2GHz xeon SL6EN 1c2t Prestonia CPUS.

The motherboards in both are IWILL DF400-SN and I'm not sure if they're socket 603 or 604. The CPUs look like fairly normal early 478 CPUs but mounted themselves soldered into a VRM looking board which has the pins on the bottom and slots into the motherboard.

The graphics card is a "Quadro 2 Pro 64"

PC 2 is using the built in sound but has a MX440 128mb 128bit (I'm guessing, from the 8 RAM chips on the board). Not sure on the CPUs yet, only just got one board out... The one has the 8 matching silver samsung Rambus sticks and I think is a little newer.

PC1 has a leaking capacity by the g-logic chip, PC2's is bulging. This appears to be an on-board SCSI controller so hopefully I can just disable it.

Time to wash out and brush down PC 1

Back
Top Bottom