What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Yep, I found the same, doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason other than something must be physically faulty. I guess I could try a different BIOS release. I think this board has both AWARD and AMI images available, might try an AWARD.

DOOOOOO IIIIIIIT!
Ive run out of pocket money for these things! Still have 5 systems to move on too :p

Soldato
Maybe make a list of games that takes your interest and do a build around that? I went through a phase of building loads of systems and they were either really similar...

That's what I did, I made a list of games I want to complete. Some modern some retro, and it lead me to this slightly interesting but fairly capable build!

I'm annoyingly half interested in the hardware, half in games. So I build a PC with interesting hardware but it can't play the games I want! Then I build a boring but game-munching machine, but think I would be having "more fun" if I was playing it on a period correct PC - and I'm not convinced that it's true!

I've already swapped out the MX440 for my 5900XT so Morrowind is a bit more playable. I also copied over a bunch of GOG games like Dark Forces 2 which runs very well (compared to on modern OSs) and works with 3D acceleration for once. I'll stuck with this build for a while I think!

Caporegime
In other news I found ONE seller on eBay USA in Texas selling a cache module for the M919 motherboard, he however refuses to ship to the UK (guess we are communists). It appears from the pictures though that he's using this clone board:

https://easyeda.com/jerryt74332/m919-cache-completed_copy

So I'm tempted to get 5 PCBs ordered (minimum qty) and build up 5 boards myself. Flip the other 4.

In other news I found ONE seller on eBay USA in Texas selling a cache module for the M919 motherboard, he however refuses to ship to the UK (guess we are communists). It appears from the pictures though that he's using this clone board:

https://easyeda.com/jerryt74332/m919-cache-completed_copy

So I'm tempted to get 5 PCBs ordered (minimum qty) and build up 5 boards myself. Flip the other 4.

I've got friends in the States if you need somewhere to post to and forward to the UK?

Soldato
Had my first snap crackle and pop today. Got a couple of systems out of storage (AKA my sisters garage) as I wanted to get some bits up on ebay....

Fired up the A78NX-E motherboard that I won a while back and an IC near the ATX connector decided to burn a hole in itself. I am hoping the CPU(2800XP) and GPU(9600Pro) are ok but have thrown the board and PSU (awful CIT brand but did say 35A on 5v rail..)

Quite a shame as I actually wanted to use that motherboard for an XP build as I am putting my 486 away and going with a win98 system and XP system setup instead.

Soldato
Give us a shout when you start listing things :)

After my splosion last night im thinking the XP build will move to S775 and pci-e

Going to try my other socket A system tonight but its nowhere near as good as the one that broke. S775 seems like it will crush anything on XP that I will throw at it.

Associate
Give us a shout when you start listing things :)

After my splosion last night im thinking the XP build will move to S775 and pci-e

Going to try my other socket A system tonight but its nowhere near as good as the one that broke. S775 seems like it will crush anything on XP that I will throw at it.

My XP machine is a Q9650 with a 560Ti lol. Kills XP stuff.

Soldato
That a 3DFX card with the Noctua on? You getting rid of everything or keeping a machine built to play retro games?

It's a V3 2000 PCI with a noctua thermal taped on (easy to remove but a strong adhesive)

I've kept this lot:
Baby-AT 386SX 40MHz + 4MB
Baby-AT 486 DX2-80 but is quite happy running as DX4 100 + 16MB
ACUMOS AVGA2 ISA
STB Lightspeed 128
CT3910 AWE32
CT1350B (I think, Sound Blaster 2.0 anyway) with CMS chips, boxed

1x 478, 775, 939 board
A small mountain of DDR1 and 2 RAM; 478 and 775 CPUs;
A few AGP card (MX440, TNT2, 5900XT)
SB Live, YMF724 and Audigy 2 ZS.
Plus some not particularly retro stuff like a 1156 board + i7 860; 1155 ITX board and a locked i5 of some kind.

I'll probably be shifting the desktop Evercase case too, as it is just too big really. And I should really move on that Tiny PC case as I never use it. And the Green Fujitsu Seimens Socket 603 RD-RAM system as that's very useless even for old hardware.

Soldato
Does anyone know what is the worst that could happen putting a thoroughbred cpu into a motherboard that might only support palomino?

Also cannot seem to get this PC to boot from USB to install XP

Soldato
Yes that's a good point. Added a few Retros in there now (not sure I can bring myself to describe anything I'm selling as Vintage!)

This has sort of backfired as I've found a quite nice M-ATX slot 1 board that I'm thinking of making an offer on even if it is expensive by itself. And I'd need to get a Pentium 2 CPU for those SECC clips *sigh*

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIC-Slot...-/254604491352?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
Edit nevermind it's a 66MHz bus only

Last edited:
Caporegime
Does anyone know what is the worst that could happen putting a thoroughbred cpu into a motherboard that might only support palomino?

Also cannot seem to get this PC to boot from USB to install XP
AFAIK it’s only a microcode change. Best case is that it’ll be fine, likely scenario is that it’ll boot but whine about microcode, worst case is that nothing will happen at all. I don’t think the highest stock Palomino core voltage is high enough to damage a tbred.

Try using PLOP to boot USB from a CD.

Soldato
AFAIK it’s only a microcode change. Best case is that it’ll be fine, likely scenario is that it’ll boot but whine about microcode, worst case is that nothing will happen at all. I don’t think the highest stock Palomino core voltage is high enough to damage a tbred.

Try using PLOP to boot USB from a CD.
I might try puttng it in. Just realised this cpu is a 1600+ so thats even worse than I thought.

I gave up with the usb and just went and got my xp pro CD. Needed to reinstall anyway just need to work out a way to activate it properly this time.

Soldato
Wasted so much time on this machine.
Got XP installed. Messed around too much with drivers.. Sometimes Audigy2 loads with windows and works other times its not detected at all... Sometimes the mouse doesnt work at all.. Now the performance in NFSU2 is not noticeably better than my P3/GF3ti machine.. That was the one game I was hankering to play.

Back
Top Bottom