What retro things have you done today?

Associate
When running multiple soundcards the best way to manage them is with an external mixer. I used to pass the line out into the line in of another card, but it was a nightmare to setup the line IN/OUT volumes.

I picked up this little 6 channel mixer for the nice sum of £28. It arrived today and from my quick play with it, it's really is great value for money. Its a metal enclosure and is well built. Mixing dials don't feel cheap. It runs off USB power so can be powered in a number of ways. I picked up the 6 channel version but they do a even smaller 4 channel model which is even cheaper. The only this thing with this mixer is it uses TRS jacks so you need some converters to convert to 3.5mm. I had a couple knocking about but I've ordered a 5 pack.

Definitely one to consider if looking to mix multiple sound sources to one output.

LCa3LMFl.jpg

Soldato
Thats a nice mixer. Good price too. How much was the 4 channel?

I am prepping to give up with my multi soundcard setup. Considering going to the ibm PR300 and socket 7 mobo with built in audio... If that works then it could become my new main retro pc. Need to stop using the sims as a benchmark when my xp rig can laugh at that game anyway :p

Associate
Thats a nice mixer. Good price too. How much was the 4 channel?

I am prepping to give up with my multi soundcard setup. Considering going to the ibm PR300 and socket 7 mobo with built in audio... If that works then it could become my new main retro pc. Need to stop using the sims as a benchmark when my xp rig can laugh at that game anyway :p

Don't give up dude. Is it purely FM sound that's giving you grief?

The 4 channel one is £21.48 currently

Associate
Did you have a look at SBESet mate?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/736937/Creative-Soundblaster-Live-5-1.html?page=39

Also there is a reference to changing FM port in the manual (Ctrl+F 388 will take you to the section)

http://files.creative.com/manualdn/Manuals/TSD/787/english.pdf

Talking about PCI Cards, I'm re-doing the sound in my Tualatin build. This config is going to be, Yamaha YMF 754 PCI (Connected with SB-Link) which will handle FM Sound SB Pro, SB Audigy 1 for Windows, Awe 64 Gold for SB16 and AWE and EWS64XL for the Dream Midi Synth. This card has 2 midi interfaces, One for the Dream and a second to attach a external midi module too!

Config is going to be

YMF 220, 7, 3 (Midi Disabled in dos as it doesn't do anything)
Audigy - No Dos or SB emulation what so ever. Just EAX / Main Windows Device
Awe64 Gold 240, 5,1,5, 620, 300
EWS64XL 260, 11, 0, 330 (Dream) 320 Midi 2

Got the YMF installed so far. Will attack the rest tomorrow.

Associate
@LewizRaz On the SB-16 Legacy Device on your Live! check the "Basic Configuration" Option 7 and see if you can modify the Adlib address. I was able to do this just on my Awe64 Gold so CQM sits on some other address instead of 388 and the YMF754 Occupies 388 for OPL.

Soldato
@LewizRaz On the SB-16 Legacy Device on your Live! check the "Basic Configuration" Option 7 and see if you can modify the Adlib address. I was able to do this just on my Awe64 Gold so CQM sits on some other address instead of 388 and the YMF754 Occupies 388 for OPL.
I have not been back on it yet but mine only went up to 5! Perhaps thats why it worked on my other machine.. Possible I have different drivers here.

Associate
I have not been back on it yet but mine only went up to 5! Perhaps thats why it worked on my other machine.. Possible I have different drivers here.

Which drivers are you using mate? The Audigy 2 ones?

Completed the sound config for the Tualatin. Only issue I had initially was after finally installing the EWS64, selecting a midi device would cause the machine to reboot. The excellent feature of the ESW64 is the ability to disable everything! I disabled the codec essentially making it a midi card and now everything is working nicely together.

Audigy
Awe64G for Awe and SB16
Yamaha YMF724 for OPL3 and SB Pro
EWS64 for the Dream synth with loadable Soundfonts in DOS and the 2nd onboard Bug-Free MPU.

Soldato
Got this today because it was free. Seller even dropped it off as he was a delivery driver coming this way anyway!

Nothing super exciting, P4 2.4ghz, some ram. SCSI drives. Never used SCSI before so might be interesting to tinker with.

Associate
Can't complain for free! The SCSI Cables are probably worth a couple of quid!

Well Audio Setup is done! Was surprisingly easy to get it all working together. The EWS64 really is a powerful card but I'm only using it to output midi :cry:

vzK7G1K.jpg

Soldato
Inspired by another thread, this happened today

Managed a 3:06 around clumber park. Not too bad to say I havent played it for 25 years!

wmb7vQO.jpg.png

499rRUB.jpg.png

UPm2CIs.jpg.png

Kds7fmE.jpg.png

Qmpk3Zy.jpg.png

jtcIN1h.jpg.png

Iow2Btf.jpg.png

ccSWK2P.jpg.png

Soldato
@LewisRaz Have a look at a video Phils computerlab done recently.

This was the one! Little bit of fine tuning but now its all working as expected!

Auto settings chose option 4 which gave me
A:240
DMA:3
DMA:7

but no IRQ. I changed the DMA to 1 and 5 and ran duke3d, even tho no IRQ is assigned it works on 7. I have actually set it back to address 220 now as TTD would not launch with anything else. Even with the 220 it still works fully as expected and the FM emulation never overrides the adlib. Games that only allow you to select a "sound device" and not separate music device will unfortunately have to live with the emulation... But I dont really play anything with that.

So now I have nice SB16 digital sound and the option of:

Adlib clone
SW60XG 330
GM Soundfonts 300

for music :)

Just need a 500mhz cpu now and maybe I can finally call it done once and for all :D

Soldato
:D do you have a pic / pics?
The whole game is just so 90s. Tony Mason co driver speech, the intro and music with piano rift 90s tracks

Please remember these were different times :p This actually used to get really positive comments back then...(Ignoring the fact that the "shopping list" on the door was actually honda tuners)

Then I decided to take it to the next stage with a bodykit which unfortunately was when the renault badge started to bite back and after a couple of almost 4 figure trips to our local garage for random electronic issues I lost trust in it and got a saxo. Did keep it in storage for a while to go back and finish it but... That never happened

During that phase I did buy a 2nd set of rear lights that I sprayed blue and was planning on doing the spoiler too but as above. Never happened in the end.

Soldato
Please remember these were different times :p This actually used to get really positive comments back then...(Ignoring the fact that the "shopping list" on the door was actually honda tuners)

Then I decided to take it to the next stage with a bodykit which unfortunately was when the renault badge started to bite back and after a couple of almost 4 figure trips to our local garage for random electronic issues I lost trust in it and got a saxo. Did keep it in storage for a while to go back and finish it but... That never happened

During that phase I did buy a 2nd set of rear lights that I sprayed blue and was planning on doing the spoiler too but as above. Never happened in the end.
I like the top one, not so much with the half body kit :D
Should’ve just sprayed it yellow & blue :)

Back
Top Bottom