What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Messed around with that freebie Dell server today. Only stays on for a few seconds then turns off. 1 Time it did actually stay on and post it complained about a memory size being wrong but I had no keyboard in so couldnt go and further.

Associate
Added a SB Live! to the machine today. This thing is pretty much full now. To make space for the live, I removed the bracket from the Matrox M3D and placed it in the PCI slot shared with the ISA Slot. Installed the Live! using the Audigy 2 Drivers, but not installing any of the SB16 Legacy stuff as the Awe32 covers that. The Live is to handle purely the Win98 Sound duties. I'm really pleased with how this machine has turned out, and its pretty loaded in regards to sound now (Live, AWE32 (Korg DB), TB Malibu, MQ Midi Card with DBX2, and all the external modules attached to the MQ Card).

FU1LB4a.jpg
BQStXgil.jpg
PFgyQxzl.jpg
az7eq7Ol.jpg

Soldato
Added a SB Live! to the machine today. This thing is pretty much full now. To make space for the live, I removed the bracket from the Matrox M3D and placed it in the PCI slot shared with the ISA Slot. Installed the Live! using the Audigy 2 Drivers, but not installing any of the SB16 Legacy stuff as the Awe32 covers that. The Live is to handle purely the Win98 Sound duties. I'm really pleased with how this machine has turned out, and its pretty loaded in regards to sound now (Live, AWE32 (Korg DB), TB Malibu, MQ Midi Card with DBX2, and all the external modules attached to the MQ Card).

FU1LB4a.jpg
BQStXgil.jpg
PFgyQxzl.jpg
az7eq7Ol.jpg
Beast of a machine!

Doesnt it take a bit of setup for each game/program installed with all those cards (including external modules) and are there no irq conflicts or weird issues?

It looks like you have the same RAM as me (Crucial micron) im on 2 x 256mb but not sure if its overkill for Win 98se.

What Voodoo card is in there and what monitor? Im using a program to pin dos refresh rates e.g. 640 x 480 120Hz, 800 x 600 100Hz. I cant remember the name but can find out if needed

Associate
@Guest2

The Voodoo Card is a V3 3500TV and the Monitor is a 19" CTX PR960F with a Max Resolution of 1600X1200. I think the program your referring to is UniRefresh which I recommended to you originally :)

In regards to sound, I have batch files which initialise the sound. Awe32.bat and Malibu.bat. These call Unisound which setup the cards via arguments. The Awe32 has 220, 5, 1, 5 P300 and the Malibu has 240 7, 3, P320. The MPU-401 card is using P330/I9. Its then just a case of selecting which card you want to use with the game you want to run. Most of the time it's only the midi port's I change in games depending on which midi device I want to use. The Beauty with the MPU-401 card is it can drive 3 midi devices simultaneously. I just turn up the volume of the Midi I want to hear with the mixer on the desk. All the sound runs through the mixer.

Soldato
Good card and monitor. Yes that was the one, UniRefresh and it was :o haha, thanks for that!

It sounds like once its all setup correctly (which I expect took some time) then it all works very well. I think the main issue I had was conflicts with my PCI USB 2 hub card and the Soundblaster Live!
How do you manage file transfer? (USB 2 / CFcard / physical media / other) Was it you that uses an FTP server?

Associate
Good card and monitor. Yes that was the one, UniRefresh and it was :o haha, thanks for that!

It sounds like once its all setup correctly (which I expect took some time) then it all works very well. I think the main issue I had was conflicts with my PCI USB 2 hub card and the Soundblaster Live!
How do you manage file transfer? (USB 2 / CFcard / physical media / other) Was it you that uses an FTP server?

To be fair, sound was pretty simple to setup. One you know what resources you want to give to each card its a case of just setting it up. Because the cards are PNP Unisound makes it so simple (For DOS) and You just manage resource in Device Manager for Win98. I think the mixer is the key to sound setups like this, as trying to daisy chain Line out to Line In gets really tiresome, and the mixer eliminates that entirely.

I use a USB 2.0 PCI Card for file transfer or sometimes I'll burn a CD-RW.

Soldato
To be fair, sound was pretty simple to setup. One you know what resources you want to give to each card its a case of just setting it up. Because the cards are PNP Unisound makes it so simple (For DOS) and You just manage resource in Device Manager for Win98. I think the mixer is the key to sound setups like this, as trying to daisy chain Line out to Line In gets really tiresome, and the mixer eliminates that entirely.

I use a USB 2.0 PCI Card for file transfer or sometimes I'll burn a CD-RW.
Yeh, i bet the mixer really does help. It's messy enough me having an extension cable out the back of USB 1, extension from USB 2, extension from Wave out 3.5mm, extenstion from lineout (for headphone) and wires for keyboard, mouse and precision pro joystick.
I've read about people connecting line out from card to card and it seems like hassle (and probably a lot of cables)

Soldato
I noticed this is Warzone / Modern Warfare. A top price machine. What is this glorious monitor??

Seems odd to go with a system build like that

cSH5Zl8.png

ReCgtJ8.png

Back
Top Bottom