What retro things have you done today?

Associate
I noticed this is Warzone / Modern Warfare. A top price machine. What is this glorious monitor??

Seems odd to go with a system build like that

cSH5Zl8.png

ReCgtJ8.png

I had that monitor back in 1997, it was a Dell branded 17" screen.

Its a Dell D1028L (had to google). Wish I still had it - Sold it with the PC around 2000 when I got an Athlon. It was a really good screen and PC.

Associate
Added a SB Live! to the machine today. This thing is pretty much full now. To make space for the live, I removed the bracket from the Matrox M3D and placed it in the PCI slot shared with the ISA Slot. Installed the Live! using the Audigy 2 Drivers, but not installing any of the SB16 Legacy stuff as the Awe32 covers that. The Live is to handle purely the Win98 Sound duties. I'm really pleased with how this machine has turned out, and its pretty loaded in regards to sound now (Live, AWE32 (Korg DB), TB Malibu, MQ Midi Card with DBX2, and all the external modules attached to the MQ Card).

az7eq7Ol.jpg

I recognise the case on the left... is the button cream and cyan-kinda? I had one BITD!! Love the old beige cases for retro builds.

Associate
I recognise the case on the left... is the button cream and cyan-kinda? I had one BITD!! Love the old beige cases for retro builds.

This one has Purple buttons, but a lot of people comment they had this case with Cyan coloured buttons. It was also a popular design in the Amiga scene.

This is mine (Optical drive changed since!)

otKyAL5l.jpg

Soldato
Nice boot sale pickups today.

The Tiny laptop owes me £5 but even if it is as faulty as it looks should get my money back on ebay. Could even work if I can find a charger.

Tested the speakers and they work great.

Don
£3 - has a little corrosion so not hoping for much, but will get round to testing it later and posting pictures

Was a couple of 6600gt as well and a load of sdram/DDR but thought the 4600 was worth a punt

No Bueno unfortunately :(

Fan spins and core gets hot but nothing else.

Not sure if it's working just not displaying anything (as most of the corrosion is by the DVI ports), as the monitor "knows" when the DVI is connected/disconnected.

Did give the PCB a good scrub with water/washing up liquid using a toothbrush (and lots of grime came off), then rinsed with some alcohol, but no difference

Soldato

Not sure if it's working just not displaying anything (as most of the corrosion is by the DVI ports), as the monitor "knows" when the DVI is connected/disconnected.

Did give the PCB a good scrub with water/washing up liquid using a toothbrush (and lots of grime came off), then rinsed with some alcohol, but no difference
Are well, worth a shot for £3.
Could be one of them guys and stick it on eBay as used but then say “working when pulled from machine but now no way of testing it. Selling as untested” :rolleyes:
I avoid any such items as it means in no such works “knackered”

Associate

Do you have a pci card to hand you could put in the machine to determine if the card is detected in windows?

Soldato
@LewisRaz Sorry dude, never got chance to get the P3 in the post last week. Work was crazy (Had a big network cable job to do :mad:)

I'll get it out to you this week.
No trouble mate! I had a fairly hectic week but next week.. Wife and kids are going on hols and I am off work and home alone :D

Plenty of retro gaming and clearing of unfinished bits to do.

Also while looking for a charger for that laptop I stumbled on my old gtx 1080. Now it is broken (smoke came from it...) but that doesnt seem to deter them going for £100+ on ebay. Not exactly retro related but the knowledge I have learned from the retro stuff might help me to fix it which would be amazing.

Associate
This one has Purple buttons, but a lot of people comment they had this case with Cyan coloured buttons. It was also a popular design in the Amiga scene.

This is mine (Optical drive changed since!)

otKyAL5l.jpg

I thought it was poss Amiga where I had seen the cyan one.. Looks lovely with the button colour there.. rare find or are there more somewhere? ;)

Back
Top Bottom