What retro things have you done today?

Associate
I think Arcos are a French company, they made hand held video players and more recently mobile phones. Never knew they made PCs but I'd not heard of them in the days of 386sx CPUs

Sorry, my bad as misread the name of the PC which is an Acros 386sx model 100/S25 which I think is an Acer model but not clearly stated on the case only on a motherboard jumper that says Acer or OEM. Manufacture date is 920810.

Man of Honour
Tore apart my A1200 tower for the first time in.... 20(?) years. It was a bit filthy.

Severely tempted to try and transplant it from the original beige monster pc case to a spare Lian Li PC-60 (I think) I have in the loft. But, I like the beige with this. Although it would be funny for someone to turn on a shiny aluminium PC case and have the workbench screen appear. :D Also, it'd be a lot of work to cut all the ports out at the back.

Re-capping starts tomorrow. Also going to give it a general clean. Also washing the car, so will give the case a clean at the same time. If I polish and wax it at the same time... I may be avoiding doing the re-capping. ;)

Soldato
I bought a picade, hopefully will be delivered tomorrow.

I know it's a bit expensive for what it is but looks like it'll be fun to build. I'd really like a full size cabinet but don't have the room or the money right now.

It seems quite customisable with regards to the joystick and buttons. I don't know much about them right now, been reading up on replacing the stock stuff with Sanwa gear so might try a few variations to see what I like, different gates etc.

Will be fun to get my girls playing some arcade classics.

Soldato
Tore apart my A1200 tower for the first time in.... 20(?) years. It was a bit filthy.

Have you got any pictures of the insides?

Won an auction for a IBM XT and noname clone but when I turned up at the sellers house they had found me some more computers to take :). Been working on them over the weekend.

One of the PCs is a SFF 386SX made by Arcos (Acer?) and works to a degree.

Also defintely need pictures of this!

Soldato
Got my Amiga 1200 from mum's loft, set it up in my games room and played Wings, Speedball 2, Lotus Turbo Challenge, Turrican 2.....All the while smiling, little emotional, remembering all the incredible times I had playing on that machine in the 90s with dad who passed away 4 years ago. Man I miss him.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Got my Amiga 1200 from mum's loft, set it up in my games room and played Wings, Speedball 2, Lotus Turbo Challenge, Turrican 2.....All the while smiling, little emotional, remembering all the incredible times I had playing on that machine in the 90s with dad who passed away 4 years ago. Man I miss him.

Wings is still one of the greatest games ever made.
Cinemaware really knew how to tell a story.

Soldato
QFgtdxu.jpg

Took a bit longer than anticipated to build last night due to some rather confusing instructions for the screen and some issues with the joystick (I plugged the connector in the wrong way round) but pretty happy in the end.

Associate
Just started playing super Mario world on a SNES I’ve recently acquired. Is it me or do older games seem harder than newer ones?

Soldato
Just started playing super Mario world on a SNES I’ve recently acquired. Is it me or do older games seem harder than newer ones?
WAY harder, the current generation could never handle the difficulty levels of the 90s and earlier.
And if we did get stuck we couldn't just jump on youtube and watch a guide!

Associate
Having been doing some preventative maintenance unfortunately it looks like I was too late for my Mac II ci as the battery has leaked pretty badly.

VLJE8Jo.png

Was a struggle to get the battery out of holder which came away from the motherboard. Don't hold out much hope the Mac will work again. Check your batteries just in case.

Associate
I do like these small form factor PC's and Thin Clients for retro gaming.

Latest pick up is a Dell Optiflex 7010 and ATI Radeon HD 7470. Wanted one for a while. :)

Will be interested to compare the 7470 vs Nvidia GT 730 and if there is any perceivable difference when running classic games (early 2000's).

Soldato
I do like these small form factor PC's and Thin Clients for retro gaming.

Latest pick up is a Dell Optiflex 7010 and ATI Radeon HD 7470. Wanted one for a while. :)

Will be interested to compare the 7470 vs Nvidia GT 730 and if there is any perceivable difference when running classic games (early 2000's).

Ha, just this week I got a free Optiplex 755. I cleaned it out and painted it, and got a 7470 in the post. The 730 is significantly faster when I asked out it in the GPU section. Mine has a Q6600 and 4GB of RAM.

AQ8EztQl.jpg

m9cfZoml.jpg

IMyEbOcl.jpg

iUW5ZTFl.jpg

E22galFl.jpg

Soldato
Those optiplex are interesting.. I was looking at getting a laptop for XP to be able to play my old games as I dont have room for my big beige boxes on my desk (and my monitor only has hdmi/dp). One of those optiplex with a better GPU seems like a good option if they are that small.

Back
Top Bottom