What Screen for 360\PS3\Revolution\PC

Associate
OP
Thanks Gordy, although no rush mate as I think i'll be sticking with Component, then I can leave the PC plugged into the DVI.

And the Doom2 Res is 1360*768 - in the pic its stretched to widescreen, I forgot to press 4:3

Soldato
0gami said:
Thanks Gordy, although no rush mate as I think i'll be sticking with Component, then I can leave the PC plugged into the DVI.

And the Doom2 Res is 1360*768 - in the pic its stretched to widescreen, I forgot to press 4:3

Well if you do decide to give the VGA cable another go or perhaps get a DVI-I to DVI-D/VGA splitter* then here is something to try. Apparently it is better to let the TV do the scaling rather than the Xbox 360 itself as it's built in scaler is poor. I don't have a VGA cable myself so I cannot confirm this. But anyway...

Perform all these steps:-

Set Xbox 360 to output at 1280x720 (so that the TV does the scaling)
Set the DVI input to DTV mode (as opposed to PC mode)
And lastly center the picture on the TV (gives very slight bordering)

Here is a quote which describes the situation in more detail:

Here's the situation as I understand it, from reading here and Xbox-Scene.

-There is a difference between PC level VGA and Video level VGA (differences in colourspace and overscan).

-Most TV's assume PC level for the VGA input (thankfully the LG 26/32LX2R features an option to choose by using the DTV mode).

-The 360 outputs video-level VGA, causing a washed image on many PC monitors and LCD TV's which only accept PC level VGA.

What is needed is a dashboard update by MS to let the user select. They can do this, just like they added 1280x1024 support in an update.

The above may be a little speculatory I don't know. But basically by changing the LG to DTV mode and using a standard HDTV resolution (1280x720) on the 360 you can get around this. The difference in colours is apparent on most if not all LCD's, it is not specific to the LG. Thankfully the LG gives you the means to get around it. :)

*A cable is available which lets you split the DVI-I input into one DVI-D connector aswell as one VGA connector. That way you can have both your PC and your Xbox 360 connected to the DVI port at the same time should you wish. I have heard these cables are very good and completely lossless. Might be worth looking in to if you prefer the look over VGA.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As helpful as ever :)

Thanks matey, I will certainly give that a try with the VGA Lead.

On another note, what Brightness\Contrast etc. Settings do you use with component on the 360?

Soldato
0gami said:
As helpful as ever :)

Thanks matey, I will certainly give that a try with the VGA Lead.

On another note, what Brightness\Contrast etc. Settings do you use with component on the 360?

See my added (*) at the end of my last for info on a good splitter if you fancy it. :)

Also check out this thread, this is a useful calibration guide I used when setting my sharpness/brightness/contrast for the 360 etc...

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=51049

I'm not sure whether it is aimed at those using component or VGA for their 360's but either way I found it useful. Although some of it is at your discretion to be honest.

Last edited:
Soldato
GordyR said:
The issues with HDCP over HDMI has been fixed in the latest firmware. LG will upgrade your set free of charge if you have an older one. As far as I know it wasn't actually an issue with the HDMI port itself, it was more of a compatibility issue between the HDMI port and certain DVD players.
great, back in the contender list for my bedroom tv then :)

Soldato
Raider said:
That LG TV looks pretty sweet! :D

The 1:1 Pixel mapping is something i'd like to have. Do the Sammy 26" ones have it? (LE26R51BDX etc..)

I didn't think it did at first but it turns out it does, however only over the VGA port. The LG has 1:1 Pixel mapping over the DVI and HDMI ports, both of which are DCHP enabled.

The Sammy is still an awesome TV, but the superb PC connectivity of the LG just gives it an edge for me. It's all down to what you plan to display most on it as to which TV you should choose.

Soldato
Raider said:
One further question, it says the component cables are on a side panel, does that mean that cables stick out the side of the TV when connected up to something like the Xbox360?

Nope. :)

They are on the back of the TV and cannot be seen. To the left hand side as viewed from the front.

Soldato
GordyR said:
Nope. :)

They are on the back of the TV and cannot be seen. To the left hand side as viewed from the front.

Awesome.

So a few more questions then :p

1) What's the response time like? Any blurring on PC / DVD / Xbox360 use?
2) What's it like with Digital TV through RGB? I've got a Sony STB which is pretty good through RGB.

If you use it as your main monitor, do you ever find the upper limit of 1366x768 restrictive?

Soldato
Raider said:
1) What's the response time like? Any blurring on PC / DVD / Xbox360 use?

It's 8ms response time. About as good as LCD's get to be honest. No blurring to my eyes whatsoever.

Raider said:
2) What's it like with Digital TV through RGB? I've got a Sony STB which is pretty good through RGB.

Very Good. Although it's display of standard definition sources is very slightly inferior to the Samsungs in my opinion. But then again if I was buying a TV to get the best "Standard definition" picture quality around then I wouldn't have got an LCD. I would have gone with a decent CRT instead. These TV's are made for HD and I will be hooking mine up to SkyHD asap.

Raider said:
If you use it as your main monitor, do you ever find the upper limit of 1366x768 restrictive?

Not for what I use it for nope. :)

Soldato
edwardcasbon1 said:
Could you possibly get pics of the LG showing a pc desktop/screenshot. I need to get a tv for my bedroom, and from the stuff your saying, sounds pretty good, just worried about the res of the pc.

I posted some in this thread...

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17525954&page=1&pp=30

The pics are of the 26" version.

The quality of the pics is pretty bad as I used my camera phone to take them. Should give you a rough idea though. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Raider said:
You heard this thing about the LG not supporting HDCP over HDMI? Seems like a potential issue :(

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282694&page=2

Thats been asked many times already matey. It was down to a compatibility thing with a few certain DVD players. LG released a firmware to fix it and all is fine. If you have an older TV then LG will upgrade the firmware free of charge.

I can confirm 100% that HDCP is working over my HDMI port. :)

Soldato
I heard it might have problems with Denon, which is an issue if I buy a 1920 DVD player. But if the firmware fixes it then that's fine :D

Soooo tempted to buy one now + Xbox 360..
But my schemes haven't paid out yet... ggrrrr

Plus I don't get paid for another week or so! :(

Back
Top Bottom